Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pabloh20

Guitarists!

Ah Brand X.... Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour. Two classic albums when Phil Collins was still "good". Percy Jones played bass then, though I think.....

Well if you liked that stuff, then another good plank-spanker was Al Di Meola...

Whilst I mention Phil Collins, I read a thing recently about how he got his (very distinctive) drumming sound - apparently they treated the sound of his drums using something called a reverse gate. In the 80s very hard to set up apparently especially live (although nowadays a doddle). This is a an electronic gizmo that changes the shape of the sound waveform to give a harder more punchy sound to the drums (and I just thought it was 'cos he was a good drummer!)

On Peter Gabriel's second album (wittingly titled Peter Gabriel 2) Collins plays on a song called 'No Self Control'. It's a good example of the reverse gate.

Collins is misunderstood. He had very little to do with Genesis's move down to pop mediocrity. He's a top draw drummer but judged by too many for all the wrong reasons.

Good to see you are appreciator of all things fine in music!

Sounds brilliant. Hendrix was influenced by Guy. That tells you all you need to know really.

If only Westlife did that thing going through the audience. They could keep going to the back, leave the theatre and fall into a vat of boiling acid. Now, i would pay to watch that.

It was, Steve. Ranks up there near the top of the lists of top converts I have been to, he really was that good.

Indeed. Not just Hendrix, either. A lot of British guitarists were influenced quite strongly by Buddy too. Clapton cites Buddy as one of his main influences and it's easy to see why. Buddy is one of those guitarists, especially in concert it seems, who knows how to play what people want to hear, if you know what I mean. Angus Young is another who is particularly good at doing it.

Interestingly, Buddy was very appreciative of the British music scene way back when he was up and coming, explaining that a lot of American musicians/guitarists came over here because we were ready for them, whereas America wasn't quite ready for them at that time. The prime example of which was Hendrix. He also said that we had a lot of great guitarists, to which someone shouted out 'They were great because of you, Buddy'. It was the only time during the night that he was speechless :lol:

Seems a shame to waste all that money on acid.... I think self inflicted ritual disembowelment would be a more efficient way of getting rid of them. :D

Then they would be "dying without sings" :D

If it was in the acid, wouldn't it be 'Dying while we singe' ???

On Peter Gabriel's second album (wittingly titled Peter Gabriel 2) Collins plays on a song called 'No Self Control'. It's a good example of the reverse gate.

Ah yes, one of my favourite Gabriel tracks (PG3 actually) - Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins all in one track. Doesn't get a lot better.

Collins is misunderstood. He had very little to do with Genesis's move down to pop mediocrity. He's a top draw drummer but judged by too many for all the wrong reasons.

I am probably one of the rare people who preferred Genesis post-Gabriel (although PG did his best stuff post-Genesis too). I think when PC went a bit off was his latter solo albums. Still all artists have their "off" period.

Good to see you are appreciator of all things fine in music!

Likewise (apart from the goblin-music) :D

My music tastes are very eclectic - influenced by an eldest brother who was into The Who, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones; another brother who was into Motown, Soul, Santana, Disco, Punk and Ska and a sister who was into Soul and Jazz rock. Add to that my own "discovery" of prog rock and new romantic/electronic/ambient and well I have a diverse set of tastes (and I am a demon on 80s music on pub trivia machines) :D (I also work in the music world, but cannot play a note!)

I was always a great fan of Phil Collins, but then he covered "A Groovy Kind Of Love".

There's some things you just can't forgive a man for, you know?

Ah yes, one of my favourite Gabriel tracks (PG3 actually) - Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins all in one track. Doesn't get a lot better.

Was just checking that you're paying attention........

I am probably one of the rare people who preferred Genesis post-Gabriel (although PG did his best stuff post-Genesis too). I think when PC went a bit off was his latter solo albums. Still all artists have their "off" period.

The pure indulgence of some of Genesis's prog' rock anthems like, 'Supper's Ready', 'Cinema Show' and 'Firth Of Fifth' will always hold more interest for me than anything post Gabriel. The exception would be the 1975 album 'ATrick Of The Tail' which has some great vocal work by Collins and some beautiful composistions by Banks. Collins never really matched 'Face Value', although for me, 'Hello I Must Be Going' ran it close. As you say, the others went down hill a little.

Likewise (apart from the goblin-music) :D

Bah! You just need a big fat dose of 'Return Of The Giant Hogweed'.

My music tastes are very eclectic - influenced by an eldest brother who was into The Who, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones; another brother who was into Motown, Soul, Santana, Disco, Punk and Ska and a sister who was into Soul and Jazz rock. Add to that my own "discovery" of prog rock and new romantic/electronic/ambient and well I have a diverse set of tastes (and I am a demon on 80s music on pub trivia machines) :D (I also work in the music world, but cannot play a note!)

I grew up in a house where my mother was into The 'Stones and Motown. My father was into the Beatles and ELO. The two contrasts gave me a good insight. I'll listen to anything from electronica to classical. Are you a Ken Bruce 'pop master' player?

I was always a great fan of Phil Collins, but then he covered "A Groovy Kind Of Love".

There's some things you just can't forgive a man for, you know?

That seems fair. :lol:

Current fave is Seasick Steve.

That's spooky, just trying to convince a bass playing mate at work he should watch/listen, gave him a couple of clips from youtube and he's converted :lol:

That's spooky, just trying to convince a bass playing mate at work he should watch/listen, gave him a couple of clips from youtube and he's converted :lol:

The poor tramp needs to get a job, clip his beard and buy more strings.

I always liked the Hamburger Concerto the most. Jan Akkerman was the master of flange...........

Akkerman is more raw (my favourite studio performance is 'Focus') but i love the sophistication of Catherine.

Thanks for that. The only version of Angel wings i have heard is from The Old Grey Whistle Test. It never seemed to have had a studio recording or appear on an album.

And so to F? Not their finest moment. Cambodia or Disco Suicide are better.

Me. I am the greatest guitar player ever. You should all worship me

Are you as sexy as hell and filthy with it?

Me. I am the greatest guitar player ever. You should all worship me

:lol: I call shotgun on first stalker! :lol:

I can be ;)

haha, nah, in all seriousness, I'm alright on it, not amazing though sadly

I'm alright on it, not amazing though sadly

You really shouldn't be on it. Behind or above it but not on it.

You really shouldn't be on it. Behind or above it but not on it.

damn, so that's where I've been going wrong!

No one liked my Eric Johnson link?

Yeah, it's not too bad at all, Chris.

I have seen him before, he's in one of the G3 concerts with Satriani & Vai, he was quite good on that too.