Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

F1 2007

Ok, I don't know if this has been discussed now but, to be honest, I find it quit boring to discuss about car performances in 2007 when we don't even know the color schemes on them. So, instead, I wanna give a very personal vision on the drivers team by team:

McLaren: Alonso vs Hamilton

We all know that RD is rather oblivious about intra team fighting (until it's too late). Alonso will naturally feel the Nr.1, but Hamilton comes as the golden promise and I don't think he would submissively accept the secondary role. Yet, I don't see them fighting to death. They are both very intelligent so I guess the pressure will work out good for both: Probaly FA will push hard to avoid being eclipsed by LH, and LH will push hard to show his talent, but will not jeopardize FA if he gets a dominant position early in the season. LH can bide his time. Both have everything to lose if the fight gets too tough.

Renault: Fisichella vs Kovalainen

Fifi has all the pressure. He knows he had his butt thoroughly kicked by FA last year and that it is now or never (never meaning a dishonorable kick around mid season). HK has the advantage I think. My prediction is that HK will end the season on top of Fifi.

Ferrari: Massa vs Raikkonen

Here is where I see the bullets flying. If Ferrari doesn't give a clear sign on who is the number one, I don't see these two settling it peacefuly (unlike McLaren). KR is the paddock's choice for Nr.1 But I think FM is not at all convinced. To make things worse, I don't see FM having the brains to accept being Nr.2 if KR beats him on the track (which is the most probable scenario IMHO). On the other side, KR seemed quite demotivated by the end of season (not his fault, though, considering the dismal season McLaren had) while FM ended up with a win that made him feel like a giant 3 inches taller than he is. I am confident KR will regain his motivation in Ferrari. Or we will be condemned to watch that snotty FM bragging around...yuck.

Honda: Button vs Barrichello

Seems obvious that Button will once again eclipse good old RB. JB is still a rising star, RB is going down. Too bad for all of us that watched him do marvels with that ugly Stewart-Ford (oh...those pants!) I think JB will have more confidence this year so, if the mechanical part is on his side, we will finally see much more of him.

Red Bull: Coulthard vs Webber

Well, no doubt here. DC will surely defeat Webber *cough cough* sorry, this yckick virus is affecting me. DC will keep making good jokes, whining the rest of the time and just cruising to the finish hoping for some points here and there. For Webber, it will all come to manage his frustration and deliver the talents I know he has. He should end up on top of DC.

Williams: Rosberg vs Wurz

This one is hard. The young, inexperienced guy versus the very experienced but old (in F1 terms) guy. I would bet on Wurz. He was an above average driver in his times and will be surely motivated on his return. Rosberg is not half bad, mind you. But his skills as a driver are clouded by a severe attitude problem. He lacks the patience and cold reasoning needed at times. Perhaps all this changes for the next season, but I will still bet on Wurz.

STR: Liuzzi (?) vs Speed (?)

Well, the TBA in the official list made me place the question marks, but for now let's imagine that the two will retain their seats. I still think Liuzzi will beat Speed. The reasons are that Speed seems like Rosberg: young, impacient and too much of a big mouth. Liuzzi looks mediocre compared to Speed, I know. But he does the right thing. Brings the car to the finish most of the time and pushes hard without risking the mechanics when possible. Not a brilliant display, but effective nonetheless, like a bus driver. :D

Spyker: Albers vs (?)

Super Aguri: Sato vs Davidson

With Sato getting the most support from the team, and provided the last race numbers weren't just a lucky result, I think Sato has the upper hand. If (and I know this is a big if) Sato gets past the first curve at each circuit, then he has shown that he can deliver a very fast pace and sometimes even shine despite the poor mechanical means under him. Davidson will surely put a good fight, but I wouldn't fight Sato too much if I wanted to make it to the finish line...

This is it. Just a draft. Feel free to add your own comments!

I think thats some great viewpoints there and I would agree with pretty much everything you said, although I expect Fisichella to outscore Kovalainen next year

I think thats some great viewpoints there and I would agree with pretty much everything you said

What are you talking about. This quote clearly shows he is insane

DC will keep making good jokes, whining the rest of the time and just cruising to the finish hoping for some points here and there. For Webber, it will all come to manage his frustration and deliver the talents I know he has. He should end up on top of DC.

What are you talking about. This quote clearly shows he is insane

okay yes I do admit that DC does not just 'cruise to points finishes', he races just as hard as anyone, he does make good jokes though and the red bull driver pairing will be very interesting. If DC gets beaten, then his time in F1 is probably over, and if Webber gets beaten, he will no longer be seen as a great talent that deserves better machinery, and his career wont last much longer either. I think each driver will have the upper hand on some occasions but I couldnt predict who will end up on top at the end of the year

Well, no doubt here. DC will surely defeat Webber *cough cough* sorry, this yckick virus is affecting me. DC will keep making good jokes, whining the rest of the time and just cruising to the finish hoping for some points here and there. For Webber, it will all come to manage his frustration and deliver the talents I know he has. He should end up on top of DC.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA :lol: THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!!! :lol: Good one Quiet One...

I do expect Webber to kick DC's butt, the guy is fast, he just need THAT decent car....

Great post Andres! Here are my predictions.

Alonso will easily beat Lewis, who I hope and think will show flashes of brilliance, gradually becoming more consistent towards the end of the season. I doubt there will be all that much intra-team tension, as they know they aren't really competing directly. Alonso's reputation is already assured and Lewis just has to get reasonably close to him by the end of the season. Clearly Lewis will have a lot more pressure than he's used to but I think he'll cope OK, through a combination of talent and understanding from the team.

Renault: Fisichella vs Kovalainen

Fisi is under great pressure. If he's beaten again he's finished. Fortunately for him I think he'll out-score Kovalainen, but whether it'll be enough to banish the doubts around him, I doubt, unfortunately for him.

Ferrari: Massa vs Raikkonen

Kimi should come out on top, but then he has to: they ain't paying $51mil/yr for a backup to Massa, of all the drivers. Not that Massa is not good. On the contrary he will be faster at times. Given that Ferrari may back a winner early in the season Kimi has to be faster right from the get go, which will be the challenge as Massa is already settled in the team. Expect a fierce battle at the start therefore, which may lead to bad feeling later, as Andres suggested.

Honda: Button vs Barrichello

Yeah I agree again. Jense will comfortably beat Rubens over the whole season, maybe not by the amazing margin of this year though. I doubt there will be unusual tension here. The big question mark for me here is how good will the car be? They had a very strong end of season and keep saying they're improving. I want to believe but you have to be somewhat skeptical. What Jenson will think if they don't improve will be interesting.

Now this one's interesting. Mark will obviously out-qualify DC by some margin, but DC races well. I expect a small advantage to MW at the season's end. Both are very committed and fit drivers and they should drive the team forward a bit. I think they're both sensible grownups who should work OK together despite the similarity in performance that might cause problems for other driver pairings.

Williams: Rosberg vs Wurz

Hard to predict this one too. Both are smart and I don't expect fireworks particularly. Wurz must have technical advantage at this stage but Nico will be catching up as he's very intelligent. Both can be tough racers so there could be some good battles between them on track. I guess Wurz is the slight favourite but only just.

STR: Liuzzi (?) vs Speed (?)

A team relatively low on talent imho. Who really cares who is least mediocre?

Spyker: Albers vs (?)

Super Aguri: Sato vs Davidson

No doubt Sato will get preferential treatment next year too. I don't even rate Anthony that highly (he has a very poor race record) and with the better treatment, much greater race driver experience etc I suspect Sato may slightly out-perform him.

BMW: Nick Heidfeld vs Robert Kubica

Well Nick will out-score the Pole in his first full season. Robert looks a good prospect for the future though and could well make his mark in F1 by out-performing Nick on plenty of occasions. I fear Nick might be Kimi-ed again. ;)

PS Therefore my bet for fireworks is BMW by a mile!

Well, nice to see how yoou think about the drivers. I know its hard to mentally isolate the expected performance for each driver from the cars performance as they both are tightly intertwined together.

Only a few comments:

I sustain my initial observation on DC. Maybe because I used to h ave much bigger hopes on him than on Mika in the earliest days, but I cannot see him having the competitive edge to try harder. He is not bad (I must say this before Ykick force Australia into a war with Argentina) he has great technical talent. I just don't see him having the motivation.

And yes, ooops! I forgot about BMW :blush:

I liked Kubica's driving very much, but I must say that he will probably be overshadowed by his team mate at least for this year. NH isn't half bad, and he has experience on top of it to get the edge over RK.

Well...that's it!

good post, well thought out

i just want to put my 2 cents in by saying, i agree to some point your view on scott speed, however i think he will be much more focused next year and will suprise a lot of people at how quick he can be.

Now this one's interesting. Mark will obviously out-qualify DC by some margin, but DC races well. I expect a small advantage to MW at the season's end. Both are very committed and fit drivers and they should drive the team forward a bit. I think they're both sensible grownups who should work OK together despite the similarity in performance that might cause problems for other driver pairings.

This is a better observation. I also expect Webber to outqualify Coulthard but going by the history of the 2 drivers during a race Coulthard usually goes forward during the GP while Webber often goes backwards. I expect it will be a close contest which will see them end up with a simular amount of points. However all this discussion is pointless unless Newey creates a competitive car.

good post, well thought out

i just want to put my 2 cents in by saying, i agree to some point your view on scott speed, however i think he will be much more focused next year and will suprise a lot of people at how quick he can be.

I am disappointed in Speed's rookie year. I really wanted to cheer on a fellow Californian in F1, but Speed so far gave me little to cheer about. I'm not concerned so much with his quickness, as his tendency to make stupid driving errors.

I think Massa will give raikkonen more problems than most people think, he proved last year that he can hold himself together and deliver some very good race performances (however i expect raikkonen to annhiliate him in the wet)

Great post Andres! Here are my predictions.

Alonso will easily beat Lewis, who I hope and think will show flashes of brilliance, gradually becoming more consistent towards the end of the season. I doubt there will be all that much intra-team tension, as they know they aren't really competing directly. Alonso's reputation is already assured and Lewis just has to get reasonably close to him by the end of the season. Clearly Lewis will have a lot more pressure than he's used to but I think he'll cope OK, through a combination of talent and understanding from the team.

I had a big problem when I read this, what I am about to say is of personal opinion of course...

I realise this is the rookie's first year, I realised this is only the second phase of testing so far, but I reckon Alonso is gonna have more on his hands then just an easy winning performance above Lewis.....

"Britain

I am disappointed in Speed's rookie year. I really wanted to cheer on a fellow Californian in F1, but Speed so far gave me little to cheer about. I'm not concerned so much with his quickness, as his tendency to make stupid driving errors.

American drivers are only good for driving in circles we all know that :naughty:

Alonso will end Hamiltons career before it starts.... Its going to be the same story as Mclaren in 1993!!!

I had a big problem when I read this, what I am about to say is of personal opinion of course...

I realise this is the rookie's first year, I realised this is only the second phase of testing so far, but I reckon Alonso is gonna have more on his hands then just an easy winning performance above Lewis.....

"Britain

Alonso will end Hamiltons career before it starts.... Its going to be the same story as Mclaren in 1993!!!

I think you should reconsider this.

That was a good post and this is the best part.

Alonso's greater experience at winning races and championships will make him the lead points-scorer at McLaren in '07, I think. Hammy will make his share of rookie mistakes, but will, ultimately, prove to be the faster driver.

Why exactely is it that everybody pits team mates against each other, as though we can predict one will blow away the other? Webber VS DC, any respectful RBR fan would relish seeing Webber AND DC, rather than pitting them against one another. They are a solid pairing, and regardless of who defeats who i imagine they will both perform to our expectations.

It's the same for every team and every set of drivers. Hamilton VS Alonso should be more like Hamilton and Alonso. I'm all for inner-team rivalry but every driver has his own strengths and every driver has his own day. I imagine certain drivers who are being touted as retiring this year would have been touted as champions a few years ago. I also imagine certain drivers who are expecting great results this season were seen as questionable talents a few seasons ago. In the end it's a team sport. If Webber defeats DC by 1 point in the driver's title next season but RBR finish 3rd in the constructors, even if Webber defeats DC by 10 points and RBR finish 3rd, that's a really succesful partnership for a fledgling team. Nobody is going to complain about either if the team succeeds.

I can't see that happening personally, he is a rookie and McLaren will not have stupid expectations of him

Why exactely is it that everybody pits team mates against each other, as though we can predict one will blow away the other? Webber VS DC, any respectful RBR fan would relish seeing Webber AND DC, rather than pitting them against one another. They are a solid pairing, and regardless of who defeats who i imagine they will both perform to our expectations.

It's the same for every team and every set of drivers. Hamilton VS Alonso should be more like Hamilton and Alonso. I'm all for inner-team rivalry but every driver has his own strengths and every driver has his own day. I imagine certain drivers who are being touted as retiring this year would have been touted as champions a few years ago. I also imagine certain drivers who are expecting great results this season were seen as questionable talents a few seasons ago. In the end it's a team sport. If Webber defeats DC by 1 point in the driver's title next season but RBR finish 3rd in the constructors, even if Webber defeats DC by 10 points and RBR finish 3rd, that's a really succesful partnership for a fledgling team. Nobody is going to complain about either if the team succeeds.

I am not hoping for intra fight teams all around (even when sometimes they are fun!) I was just comparing each driver vs. another with the same car.

In fact, I would rather have team orders legalized again. The ban only made them all lie they dont have team orders, didnt actually made orders disappear.

I am not hoping for intra fight teams all around (even when sometimes they are fun!) I was just comparing each driver vs. another with the same car.

In fact, I would rather have team orders legalized again. The ban only made them all lie they dont have team orders, didnt actually made orders disappear.

All the ban did was make team orders more like a driver's agreement....hey, whatever works to get around that stupid rule.