Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spitfire

F1 Team Roots

What are the origins of the teams currently in F1? Can anyone see traces of historic teams like BRM, Cooper, Tyrell, Lotus and others (I'm sure there are many others) in the current crop of F1 teams?

I know some of the history but I am still curious.

Some of you might think this belongs in the history thread but I am really wanting to know about the path each of the current teams have taken to F1.

Honda which came from BAR was originally Tyrrell, which i believe was brought by British American Tobacco when Ken Tyrrell died.

Honda which came from BAR was originally Tyrrell, which i believe was brought by British American Tobacco when Ken Tyrrell died.

Ken Tyrrell sold his team a year or two before he died.

Renault was Benetton was Toleman and maybe another before that.

BMW Sauber was of course Sauber

Spyker was Midland was Jordan

Red Bull was Jaguar was Stewart

Torro Rosso was Minardi

Toyota was only ever Toyota

Williams I believe was only ever Williams

Ferrari was only ever Ferrari

Mclaren was only Mclaren I think

Super Aguri is Super Aguri

Yep McLaren have remained the same since Bruce McLaren founded them in 1966 (i believe it was 66, as monaco 06 was the 40th anniversery of their first race)

Also, many of the people working in the current teams have worked for the older ones, so the roots of, say, Lotus, are still growing in F1.

Also, many of the people working in the current teams have worked for the older ones, so the roots of, say, Lotus, are still growing in F1.

Thats true I know a guy who worked for Brabham, he now makes parts for many F1 teams for an outside company.

What are the origins of the teams currently in F1? Can anyone see traces of historic teams like BRM, Cooper, Tyrell, Lotus and others (I'm sure there are many others) in the current crop of F1 teams?

I know some of the history but I am still curious.

Some of you might think this belongs in the history thread but I am really wanting to know about the path each of the current teams have taken to F1.

this should answer your questions

http://www.mcz.com/f1/teams.htm

or

http://f1-facts.com/overview/company

i hope that helps you out.. :thbup:

Didnt Toyota buy Prost :eusa_think:

Toyota tendered a brand new entry for their team, putting up the 40million bond and building the car from scratch. Or so my totally unrealiable memory tells me....

Toyota tendered a brand new entry for their team, putting up the 40million bond and building the car from scratch. Or so my totally unrealiable memory tells me....

Then what happened to Prost :eusa_think:

Then what happened to Prost :eusa_think:

They went bankrupt with 30 million in debt. Not sure why nobody picked the team up, but they would have had to take up all the debt and the outstanding contracts...sounds like alot of hassle and not much payback considering the overall quality of Prost Grand Prix...........

Didnt Toyota buy Prost :eusa_think:

Prost just folded completely when Gauloises pulled their sponsorship. That Blue of Gauloises was a beautiful colour.

Ligier did become Prost in 96 or 97 can't remember.

Prost just folded completely when Gauloises pulled their sponsorship. That Blue of Gauloises was a beautiful colour.

Ligier did become Prost in 96 or 97 can't remember.

Prost bought Ligier for the 1997 season and folded over a year after Gauloises pulled out. Pedro Diniz was waiting to buy the team, but Prost would not sell to him.

A lot of people were left without jobs and owed up to three months salary.

I believe that Prost also had some hard conditions for whoever wanted to buy the team, thats why nobody bought it.

wasn't super aguri arrows? since it used arrows car didn' it?

No, SA is a new team, but they bought some Arrows chassis and bits from auction. To buy Arrows would be like buying Prost...you would have to assume all the debts and contracts of Arrows. That would be a whole mess considering Arrows never paid Cosworth a few tens of millions for their engines.

Super Aguri bought the Arrows gear from Stoddy. Ever the man with an eye for a bargain he bought up all the tubs and spares when Tom Walkinshaw went tits up, planning to use them as a basis for a Minardi.

Super Aguri bought the Arrows gear from Stoddy. Ever the man with an eye for a bargain he bought up all the tubs and spares when Tom Walkinshaw went tits up, planning to use them as a basis for a Minardi.

Stoddy at one time(maybe still?) had one of the most extensive F1 inventories around...............

Did you know that Walkinshaw had his fingers in the Phoenix scam aswell. A friend of mine who worked a Prost and then for Arrows phoned me up one day and told me that the Prost cars turned up at the arrows factory.