Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Who Decides The Driver's Numbers??

Okay, a question started in another thread:

How are the drivers' numbers sorted after a season is finished? Throughout F1's history, there have been many odd happenings in this area, culminating in a '0' being featured on a car :wacko:

I've briefly looked through the FIA Tech and Sporting regs and could not find any clear formula for it. I suppose if I would study the driver's position and the current entry list for '07 I could figure it out, but I would like to know the official method the FIA use...........

A zero is given when the champion retires, so there is no car number 1.

Otherwise, Champion gets 1, his teammate second, the rest by WCC order, the team decides which driver gets which number among their drivers and there is no 13.

A zero is given when the champion retires, so there is no car number 1.

Otherwise, Champion gets 1, his teammate second, the rest by WCC order, the team decides which driver gets which number among their drivers and there is no 13.

then why doesnt ferrari get nos 3 & 4 :eusa_think:

then why doesnt ferrari get nos 3 & 4 :eusa_think:

McLaren get 1 and 2 because alonso has taken number 1 status there. Renault get 3 and 4, and ferrari 5 and 6 because renault finished ahead of them

McLaren get 1 and 2 because alonso has taken number 1 status there. Renault get 3 and 4, and ferrari 5 and 6 because renault finished ahead of them

Correct. The question now is does the FIA give the drivers their number within the team or can the team choose which number to give the drivers???

That is the real question :D

Correct. The question now is does the FIA give the drivers their number within the team or can the team choose which number to give to which driver???

That is the real question :D

I think the team can choose. As I said somewhere, Honda let Button and Rubens swap numbers....or was it the FIA let them... :eusa_think:

This is the kind of small-ish detail that I rarely think about; I normally just take the numbering for granted with the vague knowledge that it's determined by Championship standings...

I think the team can choose. As I said somewhere, Honda let Button and Rubens swap numbers....or was it the FIA let them... :eusa_think:

This is the kind of small-ish detail that I rarely think about; I normally just take the numbering for granted with the vague knowledge that it's determined by Championship standings...

Thats the million dollar question!!!!

You can tell it's winter testing time by the small details that we are all trying to figure out.

At least when / if someone comes along that knows for sure you will never forget the answer :)

when do the teams start runing the new number anyway, are they already running them or only once the new year roles around

when do the teams start runing the new number anyway, are they already running them or only once the new year roles around

I've noticed a lot of the teams have no numbers on their cars at all.

I would say that it's not manatory to have numbers on the cars at tests, because many of the teams have different drivers driving different chassis at different times of the day so by having a number assigned to a driver at tests wouldn't really work that well.

I've noticed a lot of the teams have no numbers on their cars at all.

I would say that it's not manatory to have numbers on the cars at tests, because many of the teams have different drivers driving different chassis at different times of the day so by having a number assigned to a driver at tests wouldn't really work that well.

really aussie f1? All the cars I recall have them on, I thought it was a legality

Yeah kaisersalsek don't you believe me!!!!! :D

Have a look at some of these pictures then :P

The FIA assign each team 2 numbers as Cav said, and it is then the teams choice to which driver gets which.

The teams number 1 driver should usually get the lower number and by FIA standards the lower number will bear the red camera on the Airbox.

Au revoir!

really aussie f1? All the cars I recall have them on, I thought it was a legality

They do, however most teams haev tiny numbers, I remember Midland used to hide theirs under the nose on the front wing, I guess that is why you can't see them in some of those pics.

They do, however most teams haev tiny numbers, I remember Midland used to hide theirs under the nose on the front wing, I guess that is why you can't see them in some of those pics.

The numbers must be bloody small then :D

Well, if I were 20th, I wouldn't want to advertise it!!

If the teams thought that way none of them would want to advertise their numbers bar the World Champions. Anything other than the number one is a disgrace in our sports thinking. Wouldn't you agree??? :D

Talking of driver numbers, I heard today that Heidfeld will be 9, Kubica 10, Vettel 35, and fourth driver 55

Yeah, but maybe the #1 would be large an the rest get progressively smaller :P

Strangely enough, The 2006 Renaults bearing the numbers 1 & 2 had possibly the smallest numbers visible of the lot.

One would have thought they would want to flaunt it!

Renault do not need to flaunt it, in 1 way or another they have achieved a lot in F1 already

Imho all car numbers for next year must be given according with Driver`s Season Table of last year.

If any driver is novice he must have # beggining from #31 according to Team`s (last) Season Table.

And all 3rd cars (for test\pilots must be inside #21-#30)