Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Todt: 'there's No No1 Driver At Ferrari'

Jean Todt has reassured Felipe Massa that he will not have to play second fiddle to Kimi Raikkonen in 2007.

Although Raikkonen has yet to even test drive a Ferrari, the Finn is already being toted as the Scuderia's lead driver and the one most likely to take the Italian stable to a World title.

However, should that happen it would not be because Massa gifted him race wins or took a backseat in the Championship battle, as Todt says neither driver has number one status at the team.

"Felipe is going to drive for Ferrari, Kimi is going to drive for Ferrari - there never has been a No 1 or No 2," the Ferrari team boss told The Times.

"Time will tell who has the best chance to compete for Ferrari for the Championship."

Interesting....

there never has been a No 1 or No 2," the Ferrari team boss told The Times.

Interesting....

Doesn't look like anyone told schumacher that :lol:

This meshes well with Michael's recent statement to the effect of: "Ferrari wait until one driver proves faster than the other, and has a better chance of securing the championships, then they throw all their resources behind that driver." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but it seems likely this is the case at Ferrari. Certainly Michael is fast enough to have been the beneficiary of this strategy.

Jean Todt has reassured Felipe Massa that he will not have to play second fiddle to Kimi Raikkonen in 2007.

Although Raikkonen has yet to even test drive a Ferrari, the Finn is already being toted as the Scuderia's lead driver and the one most likely to take the Italian stable to a World title.

However, should that happen it would not be because Massa gifted him race wins or took a backseat in the Championship battle, as Todt says neither driver has number one status at the team.

"Felipe is going to drive for Ferrari, Kimi is going to drive for Ferrari - there never has been a No 1 or No 2," the Ferrari team boss told The Times.

"Time will tell who has the best chance to compete for Ferrari for the Championship."

Interesting....

*cough* bulls**t *cough*

Somehow I don't think that Ferrari are paying Kimi 51 million a year to be a number 2 to Massa.

What a stupid comment from Jean Todt about Ferrari never having a number 1 & 2 drivers.

Somehow I don't think that Ferrari are paying Kimi 51 million a year to be a number 2 to Massa.

What a stupid comment from Jean Todt about Ferrari never having a number 1 & 2 drivers.

I see your point, but Michael's status was earned. I think JT is right in principal; they have never clearly favoured one driver over another unless it has made sense. Take the situation in '99 when Michael came back to support Irvine who mathematically had the chance to be champion. If Massa starts gaining an advantage on Kimi then they will back him.

They are paying Kimi the money because he then has to live up to Michael's mantle.

I see your point, but Michael's status was earned. I think JT is right in principal; they have never clearly favoured one driver over another unless it has made sense. Take the situation in '99 when Michael came back to support Irvine who mathematically had the chance to be champion. If Massa starts gaining an advantage on Kimi then they will back him.

They are paying Kimi the money because he then has to live up to Michael's mantle.

Yes, he did earn that position as number 1 at Ferrari. But he never allowed a driver into the team that would challenge him for that number 1 status within the team.

This arguement has been covered in great detail many times and will still be a topic for great debate for years to come :D

This meshes well with Michael's recent statement to the effect of: "Ferrari wait until one driver proves faster than the other, and has a better chance of securing the championships, then they throw all their resources behind that driver." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but it seems likely this is the case at Ferrari. Certainly Michael is fast enough to have been the beneficiary of this strategy.

An unpopular strategy.... but how effective....

Yes, he did earn that position as number 1 at Ferrari. But he never allowed a driver into the team that would challenge him for that number 1 status within the team.

This arguement has been covered in great detail many times and will still be a topic for great debate for years to come :D

What is unarguable though is the fact that when Ms joined Ferrari the team was absolute s##t. Along with Brawn Byrne and Todt they turned it into an unbelievable winning machine.

Kimi commanded the huge salary from Ferrari because it is widely believed that, barring Michael Schumacher, Kimi is the fastest driver on the grid. I'm sure Ferrari would be unhappy to discover that they overpaid for Kimi's speed, but I don't think that will happen. Kimi will get in the car, go very fast, and Ferrari will hope that the car is strong enough to withstand Kimi's driving.

In the end, it will be Kimi, not Massa, that the team will support. Massa will no doubt look like a mad little boy by mid-season....

What is unarguable though is the fact that when Ms joined Ferrari the team was absolute s##t. Along with Brawn Byrne and Todt they turned it into an unbelievable winning machine.

That's an over-statement. Ferrari was not 'absolute sh!t'. In '94, Berger scored one win for Ferrari (3rd in the WCC), and in '95 Alesi scored one win (also 3rd in the WCC)...in '96 Michael and crew scored three victories and raised Ferrari one place to 2nd in the WCC. An improvement, but not in the sort of massive jump you are implying. Ferrari before MS and crew were a decent, front-running team with plenty of success, just no championships.

Your 100% correct no question about it.

Kimi commanded the huge salary from Ferrari because it is widely believed that, barring Michael Schumacher, Kimi is the fastest driver on the grid. I'm sure Ferrari would be unhappy to discover that they overpaid for Kimi's speed, but I don't think that will happen. Kimi will get in the car, go very fast, and Ferrari will hope that the car is strong enough to withstand Kimi's driving.

In the end, it will be Kimi, not Massa, that the team will support. Massa will no doubt look like a mad little boy by mid-season....

I agree, when Kimi settles down at Maranello he will dominate Massa. The question will be how long will he take to feel at home in the house Michael built??????

I agree, when Kimi settles down at Maranello he will dominate Massa. The question will be how long will he take to feel at home in the house Michael built??????

That's a very good question.... :eusa_think: Here's another question: How much is Ferrari still Michael's 'house'? The magic at Ferrari has come from a very focused and talented team that are simply not going to be there in '07.

At Sauber, Kimi showed flashes of speed, but in the end Heidfeld out-drove him. Also, it took him a season to fully dominate DC at McLaren. I think that the current Ferrari (as stated by Massa, Gene, and Rubens) is a dream to drive. I don't think Kimi will have any problems climbing into the car and going fast straight away. Just my opinion, of course....

That's a very good question.... :eusa_think: Here's another question: How much is Ferrari still Michael's 'house'? The magic at Ferrari has come from a very focused and talented team that are simply not going to be there in '07.

You could prob say that it's still Michael's house just with a different family and furniture in it, but the outside will still be very much Michael's creation.

*walks outside and thinks to himself WTF was that he just wrote*

Even though michael just happened to be curiously off the pace when Irvine needed him most :eusa_think: now i am not suggesting that was a team order, but even commentators suggested that Michael looked demotivated and disinterested

You could prob say that it's still Michael's house just with a different family and furniture in it, but the outside will still be very much Michael's creation.

*walks outside and thinks to himself WTF was that he just wrote*

:lol: I do that often with my own posts!

if Ferrari start next season like they ended 06, and Massa pulls ahead in the first 3 or 4 races by a considerable margin, we may just see a Brazilian WDC. I was always rooting for Merc to do better but now with Alonso there i have to say that Ferrari really the only team i want to see do well. but for that i really want to see BMW and RBR take chunks out of Honda the other top team. Maybe one day we will have a German WDC in a German Car. Maybe Nick(though i doubt it), maybe Nico or maybe Vettel. but until then i just would like to have a season with more then two teams fighting. its been so long

Even though michael just happened to be curiously off the pace when Irvine needed him most :eusa_think: now i am not suggesting that was a team order, but even commentators suggested that Michael looked demotivated and disinterested

Irvine was curiously off the pace when he himself needed it most, funny how you can pin that on Michael after he got him in the position to win the title in the last race.

yes, let's remember Ferrari WANTED Kimi....

EDIT: he could determine his own salary, and with MS gone, Ferrari has even more in reserve,....THEY SCORED

Doesn't look like anyone told schumacher that :lol:

i think he's talking about massa and raikkonen, not saying ferrari have never ever had number 1 and number 2

And I believe him - why should Kimi be number 1 before the season has even started?

That's an over-statement. Ferrari was not 'absolute sh!t'. In '94, Berger scored one win for Ferrari (3rd in the WCC), and in '95 Alesi scored one win (also 3rd in the WCC)...in '96 Michael and crew scored three victories and raised Ferrari one place to 2nd in the WCC. An improvement, but not in the sort of massive jump you are implying. Ferrari before MS and crew were a decent, front-running team with plenty of success, just no championships.

It is an over-statement, but the position that you describe would be most similar to that of say Honda last season. Which is an interesting thought - hypothetically stick Michael in that car - would they win 3 races next year?

Yes but from '91 till '95 (including) Ferrari only has these 2 victories to show while they got 3 by MS in '96 alone and after that we all know how the MS-Ferrari partnership turned out!!They were among the top 3-4 but not a front running team.Would you call Mclaren this year after finishing 3rd in the WCC, a front running team?At least Mclaren was a front-runner in 2005 and before.Ferrari was out of shape for a long time and the decade between '96-06 was a "golden" period for them.There is a big differenceThe Ferrari fans could only dream for a turnaround back then but the lack of good results had already settled in among the team and the fans.MS's arrival turned SF into a winning machine and luckily they 'll maintain this trend/approach.

Yes but from '91 till '95 (including) Ferrari only has these 2 victories to show while they got 3 by MS in '96 alone and after that we all know how the MS-Ferrari partnership turned out!!They were among the top 3-4 but not a front running team.Would you call Mclaren this year after finishing 3rd in the WCC, a front running team?At least Mclaren was a front-runner in 2005 and before.Ferrari was out of shape for a long time and the decade between '96-06 was a "golden" period for them.There is a big differenceThe Ferrari fans could only dream for a turnaround back then but the lack of good results had already settled in among the team and the fans.MS's arrival turned SF into a winning machine and luckily they 'll maintain this trend/approach.

I know the history, but my point was to counter the argument that Ferrari was sh!t before The First Advent Of Michael. Ferrari were not sh!t. For someone with the moniker 'tifositoo' you don't seem very keen to defend your team. You seem more a Michael Schumacher fan than a Ferrari fan with this particular post :P