Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Marco Andretti To Drive Honda!!

From HondaRacingF1.com (official Honda site):

The team has invited Marco Andretti to drive its 2006 RA106 race car on Friday 15 December, the final day of its scheduled test, in recognition of his achievements in the Honda-powered IndyCar Series this year. The 19 year old recently completed his first season in the IndyCar Series, driving the #26 NYSE car for Andretti Green Racing. A superb

In your opinion Mike, how good is Marco on a proper track not IRL ovals???

I think many members here will be guided by you on this subject (No pressure mate :lol: )

Thanks for the compliment, aussie, but I would guess most people on the forum will poke their head in here, say "American racers are crap" and then leave :P I would be surprised if anyone but you, me, Bruce and perhaps Chris are interested in the young Marco....but, here's his CV...it's mostly American feeder series, but it matches with the lesser European or Japanese series (all but the 2006 IRL are road-racing):

:D

Now seriously, I've watched Marco last year. He did impress me as very mature and very fast racer. Maybe it's because of good old Mario and his Lotus :wub: but I would definitely give Marco the chance to start learning the ropes in F1. I've seen a few IRL races this year and he seemed like a very interesting prospect (I never thought that of his father, to be honest)

Oh, and he is the youngest IRL winner, If i am not mistaken (he won the Sonoma race), almost wins the Indy 500 too. I don't have much faith on American racers jump onto F1, always had the feeling that they would go "whoah now what?" at the first chicane they encounter :D but i think Marco could be worth the training.

I have to agree wioth Mike, Marco has promise, but he should be racing in Champcar not the gIRL if he wants to move up. I'd like to see a match race between Marco, AJ, Scott and Graham 4 equal cars at say Watkins Glen :eusa_think:

thats cool that he's getting the chance to test in F1. however, I don't see him leaving the IRL anytime soon, more business related reasons that ability i think.

it would be neat to have him though, at this rate we may have an andretti, a piquet, a mansel, and a senna all racing together in the near future.

mike, has he said anything in any interviews about having F1 aspirations?

I don't know anything about the guy, but if he's any good then I'd welcome him. As long as he doesn't have Michael's approach to F1, that is.

*pokes in*

American racers are crap!

*leaves*

:lol:

I have to agree wioth Mike, Marco has promise, but he should be racing in Champcar not the gIRL if he wants to move up. I'd like to see a match race between Marco, AJ, Scott and Graham 4 equal cars at say Watkins Glen :eusa_think:

I'd pay to see that. My money would be on AJ. The closest thing I saw to this was the CART Stars of Tomorrow Kart Race with Scott and AJ battling for the lead. Exciting race. AJ had brute force and a sheer Rindt-like will to win. Scott was more polished and actually won the race, but only through a driver's error on AJ's part.

mike, has he said anything in any interviews about having F1 aspirations?

The only quotes I have found were from Mario. Mario want him in F1 and Michael wants him in the states. I think that if he were offered anything in F1, he'd jump on it. At this stage, I think this test is a favor to Mario who likely set it up for him. The old man is clever!

I don't know anything about the guy, but if he's any good then I'd welcome him. As long as he doesn't have Michael's approach to F1, that is.

Michael Andretti was a very good racer. His problem, as you've hinted at and I agree with, is that he tried to commute between the States and Europe. If he would have devoted himself 100% to Formula One, we would be remembering him differently today. Also, being Senna's teammate in a team Senna had wrapped around himself probably didn't help either.

Bruce, I've always thought Scott Goodyear was F1 material (at least back in the day). What do you think?

Marco needs to, in this order:

Win the Indy 500

Win the IRL title

Get laid

Then he will get into F1

Bruce, I've always thought Scott Goodyear was F1 material (at least back in the day). What do you think?

Kord knows how good Scott would've turned out, he had the balls to race on ovals and yet he was just as good or better on the twisties, but due to his age he would've never had a shot at F1.............

Marco needs to, in this order:

Win the Indy 500

Win the IRL title

Get laid

Then he will get into F1

He's an Andretti, he's getting laid :naughty:

Thanks for posting Marco's CV Mike :thbup:

It's a little hard to judge a driver that you have never seen race, so I will take all what you guys have said and wait with baited breath to see how he does on Friday with the Honda :D

Thanks for posting Marco's CV Mike :thbup:

It's a little hard to judge a driver that you have never seen race, so I will take all what you guys have said and wait with baited breath to see how he does on Friday with the Honda :D

I know this is going to sound a bit stupid, but I've watched alot of Mario's racing on youtube lately and Marco looks very much like Mario. No crazy JPM-like moves, just pure controlled racing. He's like Hakkinen in that he doesn't look fast, until you see him next to another car or look at the times. I think Marco will keep it on the track during his Honda 'test' and will be quick. Time-sheet topper? Probably not, but he won't go rallying with the car, either :D