Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Mclaren & Microsoft Ecu For 2008 Onwards

McLaren, Microsoft confirm ECU supply

Monday, December 11th 2006, 11:38 GMT

McLaren Electronic Systems has finally confirmed it has won, along with Microsoft, the FIA tender for supply of standard engine control units (ECU) to all Formula One teams from 2008.

The FIA selected the joint application of Microsoft and McLaren three months ago, but until now neither Microsoft nor McLaren commented on their win, with McLaren's identity virtually kept hidden.

It wasn't until autosport.com reported that "Microsoft MES" is in fact a joint venture between Microsoft and McLaren, that the Woking-based company's involvement was revealed.

The company, which operates from the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, operates independently from the McLaren F1 team. It has been developing, manufacturing and deploying advanced electronic control and data systems for more than 15 years, also working within F1 with several teams.

"We have been involved in Formula One and other forms of professional motorsport for 15 years and already work with all the Formula One teams," said Peter van Manen, managing director of McLaren Electronic Systems.

"We are delighted to be working closely with Microsoft and the FIA to supply the standard ECUs to Formula One.

"Our work with Microsoft allows us to combine MES' considerable knowledge and experience of providing systems at the highest levels of motorsport with Microsoft's innovative technologies to deliver the best electronic system possible."

In a joint statement today, McLaren and Microsoft said they will work together to develop, manufacture and supply the ECU systems - with each car's ECU potentially gathering more than 1GB of information during each Grand Prix.

This data will then be broadcast back to systems provided by Microsoft/MES that will be located in the garage of each team for detailed analysis.

"In all industries, Microsoft's aim is to provide people with the right technology and the right tools to enable them to succeed in their business, while also keeping costs to a minimum," said Manuel Simas, director of worldwide automotive industry at Microsoft.

"This is exactly what we are offering to all of the Formula One teams. We are very excited to be involved in this development with MES, of what we believe will be a robust, scalable and easy-to-use system.

"We are looking forward to working with MES and the FIA on this project over the coming years."

www.autosport.com

I think that this will not present itself as a competitive advantage for McLaren. With that being said, I hope the new ECU will have a better reliability that other Microsoft software.

all teams should cry foul. the ECU is the most idiotic idea the FIA has ever put forth, even worse then the one tire per race rule, and i think we all can agree that that was a bad move.

all teams should cry foul. the ECU is the most idiotic idea the FIA has ever put forth, even worse then the one tire per race rule, and i think we all can agree that that was a bad move.

Do you mean the ECU itself or the standardised ECU?

I think it will be a good move to have a standardised ECU as it will eliminate competition. As it is now the other competitor Magnetti Marelli is owned by FIAT whom owns Ferrari, and I think they have enough say with the FIA as it is. Besides, McLaren Systems already supplies almost the entire pitlane with some sort of service as it is.

I like the idea of a standard ECU, and, as Ulrik says, Microsoft has no real vested interests so it's good for clean competition. Most fans, me included, want to know that what we are seeing is the pure racer out there, not some electronic device helping an average driver look good. If the ECU can get us there, I'm all for it.

I like the idea of a standard ECU, and, as Ulrik says, Microsoft has no real vested interests so it's good for clean competition. Most fans, me included, want to know that what we are seeing is the pure racer out there, not some electronic device helping an average driver look good. If the ECU can get us there, I'm all for it.

Agreed

If it saves money and makes it a little bit more even for the poorer teams, then I am all for it. The F1 fan should not care about the ECU or the Laundry history of Massa's underwear. Anything to sustain good exciting racing is good :thbup:

The standardised ECU is a good idea, it should finally bring a more enforceble ban on driver aids. And no, it will not give McLaren an unfair advantage

I'm disappointed in you lot!! I was expecting at least some comments about it having to be rebooted in the middle of a race, at the very least!! :lol:

Ron's still bitter about Ferrari and Bridgestone's love-in, that's all. I see no reason to believe that this is an advantage for Mclaren.

Bring it on, as Mike said.

Ferrari may have a small advantage, but it will not make the same difference other people think it might. If he is worried about bridgestone aiding ferrari all i can say is he cannot be overly confident of building a good enough car.

I personally think a single tyre supplier will close things up a lot.

The engines wouldn't run. Or are you suggesting a return to carburretors?

i think they should just get rid of the ECU entirely, i dont really see the point of it

The ECU is an important component, and controls all of the car's electronics, including things like engine mappings, fuel mixtures, and more besides. It is a pretty important piece of kit

The ECU is an important component, and controls all of the car's electronics, including things like engine mappings, fuel mixtures, and more besides. It is a pretty important piece of kit

It's the cars brain, it can't operate properly without one. Just look at Sato.

:lol: that was a good one :P

i think they should just get rid of the ECU entirely, i dont really see the point of it

:huh: I don't think that is ever going to happen.

:lol:

teams spend millions of dollars on the electronics of the cars, if you get rid of most of that you don't have to sacrifice all the other things the FIA is restricting in the name of saving money.

The engines wouldn't run. Or are you suggesting a return to carburretors?

:clap3:

i seam to remember that the cars used to run fine without ECUs. the FIA could make it mandatory that all teams have standerdized monitoring equipment, to check temps and pressures

i seam to remember that the cars used to run fine without ECUs. the FIA could make it mandatory that all teams have standerdized monitoring equipment, to check temps and pressures

That was when there was no fuel injection. This relies on electronic programming to get the mixture of fuel and air correct; impossible without an ECU, unless the fuel injection is mechanical of course.

Road cars have ECU's. Stepping backwards and removing them from F1 would be daft.

I always thought formula 1 was meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport!!!

You cant have formula 3's with more technology than a f1!

I always thought formula 1 was meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport!!!

You cant have formula 3's with more technology than a f1!

Me too, perhaps we should write a letter to Mr. Max Mosley and kindly remind him............ seems he has forgotten the silly old bugger.

Slightly off topic but I felt the urgent need to do some Mosley bashing :blush:

Me too, perhaps we should write a letter to Mr. Max Mosley and kindly remind him............ seems he has forgotten the silly old bugger.

Slightly off topic but I felt the urgent need to do some Mosley bashing :blush:

Old age does that to people.. the guy must be about 185!