Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Mclaren & Microsoft Ecu For 2008 Onwards

That was when there was no fuel injection. This relies on electronic programming to get the mixture of fuel and air correct; impossible without an ECU, unless the fuel injection is mechanical of course.

Road cars have ECU's. Stepping backwards and removing them from F1 would be daft.

And unnecessary. Standardising them makes it much easier to ban TC and other driver aids anyway. The rest of the stuff that the ECU does is to aid the efficiency of the car, not the driver, and efficiency is part of the aim for a cleaner sport.

What the FIA don't seem to realise and/or choose to ignore is the fact that changing rules does not in fact makes things closer, it does the exact opposite. The bigger, richer teams have the ability to respond to a rule change much faster than a smaller team. The longer you keep the rules the same the closer teams get, it's a very simple law of diminishing returns.

Freaking out and changing the rules everytime one team dominates just makes the gap between the bigger and smaller teams worse. Look at 2000, after a couple of years of basic rules stability the teams were getting quite close, during races the average gap in lap time from front to rear was about 2.5-3 seconds. Now days its more like 3.5-4 or even more.

Edit: Having said what I did I realised that the gap between the top two (McLaren and Ferrari) and the rest of the field was quite large, the midfeild had closed up quite a bit though, and I believe in 2001 the gap between the top 2 and the rest became alot less, I think it was 9 races wins for Ferrari, and 4 a piece for Williams and McLaren.

The changes this year, however, should close things up a bit, as reducing all engines to 19,000 RPM and putting all cars on the same tires i feel should close things up a little bit.

Me too, perhaps we should write a letter to Mr. Max Mosley and kindly remind him............ seems he has forgotten the silly old bugger.

Slightly off topic but I felt the urgent need to do some Mosley bashing :blush:

I hate MM's guts, but I must confess that I found the late Jean Marie Balestre even creepier. I propose a new poll: Max Mosley vs Jean Marie Balestre!