Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Jenson Button

Jenson Button  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Button one of the most overrated drivers in modern F1?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not the most overrated but he is the 2nd most overrated
  2. 2. Is Jenson Button in the top 3 drivers in F1

• Yes
    • No

Question 1

We all know Button's record and we all know that the British press believe he is one of the best drivers on the grid and a future World Champion. Do you believe that he is one of the most overrated drivers in F1 at the moment? :D Can you think of a driver in current F1 that is more overrated than Button?

Question 2

Do you beleive that Jenson Button is amoung the 3 best drivers in F1 at the moment.

look, i like you but you're being quite pathetic - posting a list of win statistics like that shows what a lowlife you can sometimes be. Have a normal debate. Create a NEUTRAL poll, ie without your little list that you've added. What relevance are those stats anyway? We're talking about the current drivers and their current ability, the question isnt "who has the most wins"

its times like this when i consider whether to bother posting at all. Its not worth the frustration of trying to have a decent discussion with an immature person like you.

Anyway, hopefully the results of the second poll will prove you wrong. I shall choose to take no notice of the first poll cos i couldnt care less whether people think he's over-rated, its what happens on track that matters, not what the media says

How does 1 win, with the fawning that goes on on here, make him not one of the most overrated drivers?

ONE ****ING WIN. And you guys talk about him like he's our saviour, or the male Kim Naylor...ffs...

As for top 3 - give me a ****ing break...LMAO.

o lord and i thought u had gone :lol:

you were the 1 who kept going on about how sure you were that jenson would never win, and yet u continue your campaign! well everyones opinion welcome, if i'm wrong at the end of this then i will happily admit it, at least i can say i was fair and not acting like a penal wart

Top 3 is Alonso, Massa and Kimi.

Schumacher is more overrated i'd say.

Massa?!!! Have u seen the guy attempt wet-weather driving??

Massa?!!! Have u seen the guy attempt wet-weather driving??

105 gp's? was it 2003 or 2004 he had the 2nd best car on the grid....can't deny thats bad

Anyway, hopefully the results of the second poll will prove you wrong.

Yes because if the result of the 2nd poll is that he isn't in the top three it will only prove that he is under-rated. :lol:

JB is the 3rd best driver in F1 now, or thereabouts. It is certainly not ridiculous to say that he's in the top 3. I would imagine MW is as overrated by the aussie press as JB is by ours. According to Shaun (nojvnof1) he certainly was at the start of this season just gone.

I provided a detailed statistical analysis of JB's season in another thread. Let me drag it up again. The implication was that he beat RB by about as much as Schumi did, without the help of team orders.

I would imagine MW is as overrated by the aussie press as JB is by ours.

Webber is rarely ever mentioned by the aussie press. We get around 30 second highlights of F1 on the news and it isnt uncommon for Webber not to be mentioned at all.

Here is the post I made a while ago. I hope its enough to refute MFHJ powerful and thoughtful arguments above. (The post is in it's entirety here, so some of it may not be directly relevant)

Our Jense has had an extremely strong end of season. Here's how the championship would look if it had started in Germany six races ago back on July 30th.

1. MS=37 points

2. JB=34

3. FA=30

4. FM=28

5. GF=23

6. KR=18

7. PDLR=16

8. RB=12

This shows how good a job PDLR has done on his return and how well Jenson is driving right now. Hopefully this bodes well for next season.

Lets assess Jense's driving by comparison with Rubens, a well known benchmark. Below I give Rubens' points score for each of the last 5 seasons as a percentage of his teammate for that season's score.

2006 56% (Excluding final race atm, clearly, but note: there is no reason to expect this to increase the percentage shown. It is equally likely to go down.)

2005 61%

2004 77%

2003 70%

2002 60% (Recalculated using new points system for fair comparison.)

So we see that JB's performance would appear to be roughly comparable to MS over the last few seasons. The first bit of analysis shows that this can not be put down to Rubens "settling in" as his performance was much better earlier. (For the last six races the percentage is only 35%) Also MS probably benefited from Ferrari's focus on him, at least towards the end of the season. (If we let Rubens win Austria '02 alone his score would be 62% for that season.)

We can do the Totalf1 way too and count their record head to head in races they both finished (RB:teammate):

2006 2:9

2005 2:10

2004 3:13

2003 4:7

2002 4:8

Thus Schumi was ahead, averaged over their last 4 seasons together, 66% of the time, whereas so far Button has been ahead 78% of the time.

All in all a rather impressive performance from the young Brit. I doubt it will change all that much. Again Rubens was stronger earlier: excluding the first 3 races it would read 1:7. JPM failed to improve much during his second season at McLaren. JV improved most in the first few races at Sauber. I suspect JB will continue to beat the seasoned Brazilian. Jenson is looking good for next year.

Jenson being with Honda for several years wouldn't of helped it? Bridgestone to Michelin swap for Rubens......

JB would of beat him had they both been there the same amount of time, but not by such a margin, I would imagine.

105 gp's? was it 2003 or 2004 he had the 2nd best car on the grid....can't deny thats bad

Of course we can. This has been done to death. It depends on the opportunities he gets, and he didn't get many. It is more sensible to compare him with his teammates, as I have done for you.

Webber is rarely ever mentioned by the aussie press. We get around 30 second highlights of F1 on the news and it isnt uncommon for Webber not to be mentioned at all.

According to Shaun he was as overrated as JB, perhaps accounting for the fact that F1 may not be as popular over there.

On the news he gets very little, but he is mentioned on RPM and prerace conversation. He isn't hyped up like Button however.

According to Shaun he was as overrated as JB, perhaps accounting for the fact that F1 may not be as popular over there.

Its kind of hard to be overrated if you are never mentioned.

Jenson being with Honda for several years wouldn't of helped it? Bridgestone to Michelin swap for Rubens......

JB would of beat him had they both been there the same amount of time, but not by such a margin, I would imagine.

OK you are probably right here but I even address this in the original post. JB beat Rubens by more than Schumi ever did, so he had plenty of leaway. In addition RB did better early on, in terms of points as used in my analysis (as I even pointed out in the original post). Look at the final 7 races (excluding the very last) as shown in the post and you will see JB was even more dominant, flatly contradicting your claim that RB struggled largely because he was adapting.

Also, I don't care what ANYONE says - 1 win when he's had a good car in however many races is simply not good enough for the hype that he gets.

Yeah I can tell you don't care for reasoned debate.

It is more sensible to compare him with his teammates, as I have done for you.

Lets do that then....

Fisichella, a driver hammered by Alonso the last two years, beat Button over a year, quite nicely. (8 - 2) Ralf Schumacher, another considered to be overrated by many, beat him 24 - 12, as well.

Its kind of hard to be overrated if you are never mentioned.

Yes but you only have to be mentioned once to be rated, and then you can be rated too highly, and hence overrated. I think we can safely say he is mentioned from time to time on the news. Sato has already explained that he is mentioned in other media. Regarding their bias, I think I trust Shaun's assessment.

I don't know Shaun was anti-Webber, and a JV fan for christ sake.. He can't be trusted! (just kidding if your reading Shaun :P )

Lets do that then....

Fisichella, a driver hammered by Alonso the last two years, beat Button over a year, quite nicely. (8 - 2) Ralf Schumacher, another considered to be overrated by many, beat him 24 - 12, as well.

Yes in his first two years he was out-performed. Just like Kimi in fact. Every other team mate he has beaten, many of whom were very good (Trulli gave Alonso a run for his money the year later). The question is presumably about his performance now, not 5 years ago, when yes he was not in the top 3. In any case I think he had a very good rookie year, and so did FW. The next year he was very poor I agree.

Any way I'm glad you accept the principle of team-mate comparisons. Feel free to comment on the more relevant stats I showed.