Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Jenson Button

Jenson Button  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Button one of the most overrated drivers in modern F1?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not the most overrated but he is the 2nd most overrated
  2. 2. Is Jenson Button in the top 3 drivers in F1

• Yes
    • No

I used to watch southpark but i have fallen out of love with it..

i find the humour in the Simpsons more clever...and unfortunately the more and more you watch it the jokes refer back to other eposodes?

I do find southpark a bit to slapstick... although its very clever as well.. i feel that the writters in the Simpsons are better because they can apeal to a larger audience...

anyway everyone's different.

I'm not bothered with the Simpsons anymore, but I've wached it for sooooooo long, and I imagine thats why.

I do quite enjoy South Park and Scrubs, though.

The Simpsons is probably the best export USA has produced, can anyone think of any better?

Ali Landry!

Is Button one of the most overrated drivers in modern F1? = NO = [ 18 ] [52.94%]

Is Jenson Button in the top 3 drivers in F1 ? = YES = [ 9 ] [26.47%]

good man kup! U might appreciate my stats on the issue at hand. They have gone largely unappreciated on the forum.

The simple outcome being:

Is jenson good? Yes

Can he be considered world class yet? No

Give honda enough time to produce him a good car, and we will see what he can really do :P

The opinion of the forum should be taken more for it's amusement value, than as any realistic guide to the real world. Never trust a democracy Shane. What you lot need is a benign dictator, and, in the absence of Senna (blessed be the Almighty's keyboard) and Dan (don't Dare date Russian women), I humbly tender my serivices ;)

lol isnt the dictator normally the admin? he runs the place and has no involvement in the discussions :lol: he probably got scared off by the ferrari fans :P

I am not a dictator anyway i like everyone except MS and ferrari :P

The simple outcome being:

Is jenson good? Yes

Can he be considered world class yet? No

Give honda enough time to produce him a good car, and we will see what he can really do :P

so can a driver only be considered world class once he's been given race-winning machinery and able to challenge for the championship? The past 2 years Jenson has been driving a car that is 4th or 5th fastest, and yet his name is always up there with the frontrunners almost every race (whilst his team-mate's isnt), if Honda can just close the gap by a second per lap or so to the frontrunning teams, then Jenson has shown time and again that he has no trouble fighting with and beating Kimi and Alonso.

The situation is slightly similar to Fisichella before he joined renault - he looked like someone who should really be winning lots of races, but when given the opportunity he didnt take it. Jenson hasnt been given the opportunity yet and I accept that theres always the possibility that he wont be up to it, we dont know yet (hope those who think i'm biased may now change their mind!), but when he is given the opportunity I'm confident that i'll be the one laughing cos I very strongly believe he has what it takes. I dont even think KR & FA are that much better than him, but I dont say that very often cos I know people will just say i'm talking out of my rear

so can a driver only be considered world class once he's been given race-winning machinery and able to challenge for the championship?

In a word, yes.

There are countless drivers throughout the history of F1 who have been considered better than their machinery and are revered by many, but the sad fact is that we'll never know in many cases, just how good they really were. The indications are that, given a great car, Button could be great, but until such time it remains potential.

Here's a question for you all - how many races would Michael Schumacher in his pomp have won in the BAR/Honda of the past few years? My guesstimate is 3.

In a word, yes.

There are countless drivers throughout the history of F1 who have been considered better than their machinery and are revered by many, but the sad fact is that we'll never know in many cases, just how good they really were. The indications are that, given a great car, Button could be great, but until such time it remains potential.

Here's a question for you all - how many races would Michael Schumacher in his pomp have won in the BAR/Honda of the past few years? My guesstimate is 3.

well if Schumi had been in BAR, then he wouldnt have dominating everything in his 2004 ferrari and so that would've made it easier to win a few races in 2004!!

I think most F1 drivers are world class, but that only 3 or 4 of them have the ability to fight for a world title

so can a driver only be considered world class once he's been given race-winning machinery and able to challenge for the championship? The past 2 years Jenson has been driving a car that is 4th or 5th fastest, and yet his name is always up there with the frontrunners almost every race (whilst his team-mate's isnt), if Honda can just close the gap by a second per lap or so to the frontrunning teams, then Jenson has shown time and again that he has no trouble fighting with and beating Kimi and Alonso.

The situation is slightly similar to Fisichella before he joined renault - he looked like someone who should really be winning lots of races, but when given the opportunity he didnt take it. Jenson hasnt been given the opportunity yet and I accept that theres always the possibility that he wont be up to it, we dont know yet (hope those who think i'm biased may now change their mind!), but when he is given the opportunity I'm confident that i'll be the one laughing cos I very strongly believe he has what it takes. I dont even think KR & FA are that much better than him, but I dont say that very often cos I know people will just say i'm talking out of my rear

I think that given the circumstances of Jenson's win (changeable and challenging conditions) and his propensity to not make misstakes, means that when he has a truly decent car he will be more than capable of the task.

I like to use Mika Hakkinen as a case study against Button. He had many years in the doldrums until his package came good (if you'll pardon the slightly ambiguous expression).

Impossible to say of course. I could only say for an almost certainty that Michael would have ended the season with more points, based on the general consensus that he was the best driver at the time. Anything other than that is pure pie in the sky speculation.

In a word, yes (and this post is precisely an example of why you gain my most biased member vote :P )

Give Fernando, and Kimi the same car and i am confident they would beat button. He has good driving skill, but he is not as tactically astute with car placement as drivers like KR and FA

In a word, yes (and this post is precisely an example of why you gain my most biased member vote :P )

Give Fernando, and Kimi the same car and i am confident they would beat button. He has good driving skill, but he is not as tactically astute with car placement as drivers like KR and FA

How do you mean, Shane ?

Well for example, he got passed at Monaco by michael this year despite the fact you should be able to hold someone back in Monaco for 50-60 laps even if their car is miles faster. I just think Fernando in particular is more tactically astute in his car positioning, and makes it a lot harder for anyone to pass him than i feel jenson does.

Well for example, he got passed at Monaco by michael this year despite the fact you should be able to hold someone back in Monaco for 50-60 laps even if their car is miles faster. I just think Fernando in particular is more tactically astute in his car positioning, and makes it a lot harder for anyone to pass him than i feel jenson does.

Ahh, I gotcha now :D

Sorry, the synapses are still not firing at full capacity yet and full capacity isn't all that great either! :lol:

How do you mean, Shane ?

Wel Alonso at Monaco did it by straightlining the swimming pool chicane eliminating one of the few passing oppurtunities on the track, I presume that is what he means by 'placing his car'?

If they would have the same car I wouldn't know who is the quickest, impossible to tell.

Maybe you just think KR and FA will be quicker because you are used to seeing that the last 2 years.

There is substance in what you say. I'm thinking too of Imola '05 when Michael breezed past Jenson but then couldn't get passed Fernando. But then there are the variables of different car performance and the fact that Jenson drove magnificently at Nurburgring '04 to overtake Fernando of course.

In summary, it still amounts to the fact that we haven't seen Jenson in a front running car and are not able to judge him properly or fairly until he gets one, in my opinion.

Yeah, i remember that, the 2 of them had a really good battle, in fact i am surprised Alonso kept him back as long as he did considering the performance advantage jenson had. I personally think a day is going to come when he regrets going to honda, and if they don't deliver, i feel he may never see his potrntial fulfilled. And that battle at Imola was one of my favourites of the modern era, it was so thrilling to watch.

You guys mean Hockenheim 2004? That was an amazing battle to watch. I don't think he will regret going to Honda though, I think he's happy he stayed at Honda instead of going to Williams ^_^

And that battle at Imola was one of my favourites of the modern era, it was so thrilling to watch.

I preferred role reversal, '06 stylee!

You guys mean Hockenheim 2004? That was an amazing battle to watch. I don't think he will regret going to Honda though, I think he's happy he stayed at Honda instead of going to Williams ^_^

My mistake, just testing!!

The 06 one was OK, but it wasnt as intriguing as the 05 one, because renault c#cked it up by bringing Alonso into the pit. Without altering his stratergy the outcome could have been intriguing

The 06 one was OK, but it wasnt as intriguing as the 05 one, because renault c#cked it up by bringing Alonso into the pit. Without altering his stratergy the outcome could have been intriguing

Michael and Ross forced Pat and Fernando's hand, it was lovely.