Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Bioligical Polymers

When researching the future of sustainable housing I came across biological polymers, which if successful migh let us create the edible building. I find this facinating on almost too many levels, but fail to find anything that comes close, on any level, to this today.

Russ, as an architect do you have any ideas where I might look?

Bloody hell! Where did that one come from, Ulrik?? The only two biopolymers that I know of are cellulose and collagen and I wouldn't want to eat my house if that's what it was made of! My knowledge of the subject is probably less than yours but I have heard of "green plastics" though, in association with sustainable construction as a source of material for building components. Also as an alternative to fossil fuels in production processes. You may have already found it, but try here: http://www.bio.org/index.asp?stay=yes

Yeah, it freaked me out as well, but in a good way. Its really more of a theory, but if we can develop spimes I think boi-polymers are just as possible. Coupled with effective nano technology its a brave new world for us.

I reccomend you reading Bruce Stirling's 'Shaping Things' and look into the works of architect, designer, etc. Zbiginiew Oksiuta (the guy behind bio-polymers and Spatuim Gelatum). Its facinating, and what Strinling writes makes more sense than much of what I have come accros so far.

Thanks mate. It's an afternoon of research for me, then.

I just spoke to my father who has a Doctorate in Bio-Chemistry and he had absolutely no idea about what I was talking about. So I guess its pretty fringe stuff. Hopefully its feasible when technology permits it.

When researching the future of sustainable housing I came across biological polymers, which if successful migh let us create the edible building. I find this facinating on almost too many levels, but fail to find anything that comes close, on any level, to this today.

Russ, as an architect do you have any ideas where I might look?

Imagine coming home P!ssed out of your mind after a big nite out and eating away your entire kitchen... I dont think the wife would appreciate that!

Imagine coming home P!ssed out of your mind after a big nite out and eating away your entire kitchen... I dont think the wife would appreciate that!

:clap3:

Luckily it will grow back. Its going to be un if it eventuates. Imagine thrashing the house one night and waking up to everything looking fresh as a daisy the next morning :naughty:

Luckily it will grow back. Its going to be un if it eventuates. Imagine thrashing the house one night and waking up to everything looking fresh as a daisy the next morning :naughty:

WOW... Priceless!!!

Yes but...what if it grows in your stomach as well?? :unsure:

:eusa_think::eusa_think::eusa_think::yikes:

Scientist will sort out these little formalities.. dont you worry!

Scientist will sort out these little formalities.. dont you worry!

Are they going to have to put stickers on houses with how many calories they contain and all that ?? :lol:

Are they going to have to put stickers on houses with how many calories they contain and all that ?? :lol:

:D Yes good Idea... What about the Vodka filled fish ponds??? That could cause havoc at house parties!

:D Yes good Idea... What about the Vodka filled fish ponds??? That could cause havoc at house parties!

Those are gonna be some happy fish!! :lol: