Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Alonso's First Outing With Mclaren

According to Crono Lewis topped the tiomes today with a 1.19.493, closely followed by the two Renaults of Kova and Fisi. Interestingly though, no times where issued for Fernando, although he was rumored to be around 1.19.7 at lunch, which would have left him at 3rd. Porbably McLaren keeps their cards close to their chest at this stage.

http://www.crono-jerez.com/2006/f1dic2/res15.pdf

EDIT: One added bit of info. The top 7 fastest laps where all by mClaren and Renault, whre Renault did theirs at very different times of the day and Lewis did three blinders in a row. This kid is looking good.

http://www.crono-jerez.com/2006/f1dic2/bl15.pdf

EDIT2: According to autosport Alonso completed 95 laps and had an incident free day.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56035

Welcome back Nando!!! We missed you!!!!!!!!

Still, I felt a sudden pain watching him not driving a Renault! :(

Yeah, it's a bit odd seeing him without a Blue and Yellow car. And his helmet looks rubbish so far too. lol

I think he'll settle in quite quickly though, he's too good not to.

i expect hammy to kick alonso's a## sooner than i thought!

Lewis has been testing that car for a while, that was fernando's first go in it. Alonso's experience will help him and he will have the edge come the start of the season.

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is. Reports I've read say that it's to get Alonso acclimated to the McLaren/Bridgestone package ahead of Kimi. This doesn't wash with me simply because at the end of winter testing next year, I would expect both drivers to be comfortable with their cars. In a sense it would all equal out. The only advantage would be during Kimi's first session. Maybe this is a team morale booster?

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is. Reports I've read say that it's to get Alonso acclimated to the McLaren/Bridgestone package ahead of Kimi. This doesn't wash with me simply because at the end of winter testing next year, I would expect both drivers to be comfortable with their cars. In a sense it would all equal out. The only advantage would be during Kimi's first session. Maybe this is a team morale booster?

I've also been trying to figure out the pro's of this testing agreement. Alonso only tested for one day, next testing session is on the 15 Jan, it does'nt really make sense. Maybe it's Alonso's input on how he wants the car to behave and improve together with it being a team boosting morale..... I think Kimi making a suprise visit and showing interest in Ferrari testing cancels this out, no advantage gained or lost, plus we still have Micheal checking out telemetry.... Just a high political game....

Edit: bolded type

aaahhhh, things are becoming more clearer.....

McLaren put brakes on Kimi's early test

Posted 18 December 2006 at 09:19 GMT

Ron Dennis pushed for Fernando Alonso's early test debut but did not allow Kimi Raikkonen to similarly drive before Christmas, according to a report in the Spanish press.

The newspaper El Mundo Deportivo claims that while Raikkonen seemed unbothered about whether or not he would win an early release from his McLaren contract, Ferrari chiefs actually did ask their McLaren counterparts for clearance for a 2006 test.

"Ron Dennis did not give his approval," the Spanish nationwide daily sports newspaper read.

El Mundo Deportivo quoted Dennis, Woking based McLaren's chairman, as recently saying that negotiations for Alonso's release from his Renault contract would likely differ from the talks with Ferrari.

The Briton reportedly said: "(That is) because the relationship between McLaren-Mercedes and Renault is very different to the relationship between McLaren and Ferrari."

The Briton reportedly said: "(That is) because the relationship between McLaren-Mercedes and Renault is very different to the relationship between McLaren and Ferrari."

for kimi, he doesnt get affected by mind games that others may play, all he needs is a car that can go fast and hold into one piece!

i heard that kimi has never formally requested for an early release! may be kimi is taking few days off just to embrace a much much responsible task waiting for him from the 1st of jan 2007 at maranello! after all, i think he is the most talented(at present) and the laziest f1 driver i have ever seen. i hope LH is of caliber.

for kimi, he doesnt get affected by mind games that others may play, all he needs is a car that can go fast and hold into one piece!

i heard that kimi has never formally requested for an early release! may be kimi is taking few days off just to embrace a much much responsible task waiting for him from the 1st of jan 2007 at maranello! after all, i think he is the most talented(at present) and the laziest f1 driver i have ever seen. i hope LH is of caliber.

he may be a bit lazy, but he is one of the most motivated behind the wheel, he is that talented.....

another thing, you can clearly see RD being really really p**sed off that Kimi is leaving, read the artcle last week how Kimi's manager kept the Ferrari deal secretive and mislead RD....classic!!!!!!!!!!!

he may be a bit lazy, but he is one of the most motivated behind the wheel, he is that talented.....

another thing, you can clearly see RD being really really p**sed off that Kimi is leaving, read the artcle last week how Kimi's manager kept the Ferrari deal secretive and mislead RD....classic!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, once he is behind the wheel, he is unstopable even if he knows the car is never going to hold!

cant belive that he still hasn't wont the crown, but i am sure he can. let us forget micheal's antics and be more positive for now. micheal is clearly a perfect benchmark to what a driver can offer a team. he may sometimes be seen as a little more unfair on track, but in the garage, he does more than a driver can do, talent wise (i am afraid to say, but this is what i feel) kimi is even more talented than micheal, but comitment wise......well, its not too late for him to change, but his first season in ferrari are going to be a lot tough.

there was another problem kimi faced while at mclaren, that is, he was needed by mclaren's sponsorers and other craps to boost the team's image etc. infact, they thought the test drivers alone are enough to develop the car, most of the time we saw pedro and alex pounding the test tracks, i think even monty spent a little more time than kimi in testing(may be to justify his absence after his tennis injury). mean while kimi appeared in commercials and other promotions.

kimi was used as the face of mclaren over the past few years, and ron dennis thought that kimi will be a part of his family just like mika is even now. RD is still pinching himself to see if he is having a bad dream, and mean while kimi is having sweeter dreams of driving that red ferrari. :clap3:

McLaren put brakes on Kimi's early test

Posted 18 December 2006 at 09:19 GMT

Ron Dennis pushed for Fernando Alonso's early test debut but did not allow Kimi Raikkonen to similarly drive before Christmas, according to a report in the Spanish press.

The newspaper El Mundo Deportivo claims that while Raikkonen seemed unbothered about whether or not he would win an early release from his McLaren contract, Ferrari chiefs actually did ask their McLaren counterparts for clearance for a 2006 test.

"Ron Dennis did not give his approval," the Spanish nationwide daily sports newspaper read.

El Mundo Deportivo quoted Dennis, Woking based McLaren's chairman, as recently saying that negotiations for Alonso's release from his Renault contract would likely differ from the talks with Ferrari.

Considering everyone's relationship with Ferrari i guess that is understandable, but IMO he should play by the rules, its kinda hypocritical.

...or maybe FA's input to McLaren engineers can be significantly important for the MP4-22 development since there is a whole month until the next tests and they can win some time :eusa_think:

...or maybe FA's input to McLaren engineers can be significantly important for the MP4-22 development since there is a whole month until the next tests and they can win some time :eusa_think:

Brad mentioned this above, and I think you two have got something there. Some shakedown runs to steer the McLaren engineers in the right direction over the break would be a good thing.

Brad mentioned this above, and I think you two have got something there. Some shakedown runs to steer the McLaren engineers in the right direction over the break would be a good thing.

Agree, any test would have to be a major advantage to the McLaren engineers. This one test will just confirm that McLaren are definately heading in the right / wrong direction with the 07 chassis. Something that if they discovered in January could be a little late to make & test the changes needed come March.

I wonder why it is that Ferrari never asked McLaren for an early release for Kimi :eusa_think: