Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Unicef Reports

India has killed 10 mln girls in 20 years - Renuka Chowdhury

By Palash Kumar

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Ten million girls have been killed by their parents in India in the past 20 years, either before they were born or immediately after, a government minister said on Thursday, describing it as a "national crisis".

A UNICEF report released this week said 7,000 fewer girls are born in the country every day than the global average would suggest, largely because female foetuses are aborted after sex determination tests but also through murder of new borns.

"It's shocking figures and we are in a national crisis if you ask me," Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Chowdhury told Reuters.

Girls are seen as liabilities by many Indians, especially because of the banned but rampant practice of dowry, where the bride's parents pay cash and goods to the groom's family.

Men are also seen as bread-winners while social prejudices deny women opportunities for education and jobs.

"Today, we have the odd distinction of having lost 10 million girl children in the past 20 years," Chowdhury told a seminar in Delhi University.

"Who has killed these girl children? Their own parents."

In some states, the minister said, newborn girls have been killed by pouring sand or tobacco juice into their nostrils.

"The minute the child is born and she opens her mouth to cry, they put sand into her mouth and her nostrils so she chokes and dies," Chowdhury said, referring to cases in the western desert state of Rajasthan.

"They bury infants into pots alive and bury the pots. They put tobacco into her mouth. They hang them upside down like a bunch of flowers to dry," she said.

"We have more passion for tigers of this country. We have people fighting for stray dogs on the road. But you have a whole society that ruthlessly hunts down girl children."

According to the 2001 census, the national sex ratio was 933 girls to 1,000 boys, while in the worst-affected northern state of Punjab, it was 798 girls to 1,000 boys.

The ratio has fallen since 1991, due to the availability of ultrasound sex-determination tests.

Although these are illegal they are still widely available and often lead to abortion of girl foetuses.

Chowdhury said the fall in the number of females had cost one percent of India's GDP and created shortages of girls in some states like Haryana, where in one case four brothers had to marry one woman.

Economic empowerment of women was key to change, she said.

"Even today when you go to a temple, you are blessed with 'May you have many sons'," she said.

"The minute you empower them to earn more or equal (to men), social prejudices vanish."

The practice of killing the girl child is more prevalent among the educated, including in upmarket districts of New Delhi, making it more challenging for the government, the minister said.

"How do we tell educated people that you must not do it? And these are people who would visit all the female deities and pray for strength but don't hesitate to kill a girl child," she said.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArtic...ia-280322-1.xml

According to UNICEF and the "State of the Worlds Children 2007" Report (http://www.unicef.org/sowc07/docs/sowc07.pdf) there is no conclusive evidence to supprort this, but there are clear cultural preferences for sons in both China and India. The only explanation must be that men are still the breadwinners, and that sons would make better providers for their parents when they reach old age. Nevertheless, as the Reuters article suggests the bahavior is very common among Indian middle class families. These would normally be able to set aside money for their retirement, so what is then the reason behind this behaviour?

You never give up do you. You must spend most of your time looking for articles which you know will promote racist arguements on this forum.

Read the report before you open that whole in your face. The amount of Sh#t that goes down around the world is shocking, but since its not reported on Channel 9 I guess it just passes you by.

I daily read Reuters, The Times, BBC, SMH, and Aftenposten (Norwegian). When interesting news articles comes up I read more about it, often doing some research. If you read what I wrote, the UNICEF could NOT prove that the article/statistics where correct, but reported of an unbalance in certain developing nations, specially China and India.

Now, I take great offence over the mistreatment of the Norwegian Sami and gypsies in the past, and the horrific treatment the Aboriginies have recieved in Australia, and many other similar issues, but that is not news to me. When tragic statistics come out I take interest, be them in Brazil, Sweden or India. If such issues can't be discussed without you being offended I suggest you don't enter the threads.

The way the racist card is being thrown around sadly means that it has lost all meaning.

The way the racist card is being thrown around sadly means that it has lost all meaning.

It only started getting thrown around after you returned to the forums.

it is mostly true, but these Sh#t were in the past. but it still happens, and authorities have no control over it. these days women in india have spearheaded into society like never before, if you can come down to this country, you can see it your self, the Sh#t happening are in places where dowry is practiced like anything, and places where people are far less educated. but number of cases have gone down as more and more couple are involved in love marrages and dowry system is vanishing slowly, it cannot happen over night. if you are so concerned about india, why don't you come down here and change the things by yourself? things will change slowly, if you cant wait, why don't you jump from the tallest building in your town and kill yourself?

besides there is a lot of unjustice happening around the world. for example...why cant norway stop hunting whales despite international protests? the excuse given by Norwegian government is that it seems the whales are eating their fish stocks!!!!!!!! :clap3:

cut the crap man! just wanted this forum to be a place to be friends. just look at autopuma, pumpdoc , ykick and others' posts. everyone gets along just fine until you come. are you like this everywhere else? or is it that your parents bought you up like this? you think that you are the only one reading news here? we have a television set at home with a cable connection, broadcasting over 300 channels! we get enough news! don't need your up dates!

it is mostly true, but these Sh#t were in the past. but it still happens, and authorities have no control over it. these days women in india have spearheaded into society like never before, if you can come down to this country, you can see it your self, the Sh#t happening are in places where dowry is practiced like anything, and places where people are far less educated. but number of cases have gone down as more and more couple are involved in love marrages and dowry system is vanishing slowly, it cannot happen over night. if you are so concerned about india, why don't you come down here and change the things by yourself? things will change slowly, if you cant wait, why don't you jump from the tallest building in your town and kill yourself?

besides there is a lot of unjustice happening around the world. for example...why cant norway stop hunting whales despite international protests? the excuse given by Norwegian government is that it seems the whales are eating their fish stocks!!!!!!!! :clap3:

cut the crap man! just wanted this forum to be a place to be friends. just look at autopuma, pumpdoc , ykick and others' posts. everyone gets along just fine until you come. are you like this everywhere else? or is it that your parents bought you up like this? you think that you are the only one reading news here? we have a television set at home with a cable connection, broadcasting over 300 channels! we get enough news! don't need your up dates!

:clap3: You just got yourself a new fan! :D

I'm not pro-whalehunting, or seal huntin for that matter, as I find it disgusting and cruel. The argument is the government use is not over fish stocks, but rather that they want to be sovregin. All the whales furthermore hunted are shipped to Japan. The people bahind this is the fisheries lobby, which is very powerful as fish export is the second biggest export article after oil-related products. Its corrupt, and its very shamefull for me as an Norwegian.

Nevertheless, the article said that the murdering was on an increase in India, and this among the educated middle class. Now, this makes me curious, are boys that much more valued as offspring? In China that certainly is the case - I just had that confirmed from a Chinese friend - although he said it is changing in the major cities where girls can find education and jobs on an almost equal term as men.

Good point. I could rant about the Japanese and the Norwegians all day on their whaling policies. If it were up to me any whaling vessel that entered Australian waters (as they often do) i would give the Australian Navy the order to shoot on sight and send those fishermen and their boats to the bottom of the ocean.

Good point. I could rant about the Japanese and the Norwegians all day on their whaling policies. If it were up to me any whaling vessel that entered Australian waters (as they often do) i would give the Australian Navy the order to shoot on sight and send those fishermen and their boats to the bottom of the ocean.

Did you finish school or where you thrown out for being utterly incompetent?

Did you finish school or where you thrown out for being utterly incompetent?

I did my last HSC exam over a month ago. I also dont see anything wrong with blowing up Japanese fishing boats if they are killing whales. Whales are a indangered species whereas Japanese whalers are not a endangered species so its OK to send them to the bottom of the ocean.

I did my last HSC exam over a month ago. I also dont see anything wrong with blowing up Japanese fishing boats if they are killing whales. Whales are a indangered species whereas Japanese whalers are not a endangered species so its OK to send them to the bottom of the ocean.

Thankfully you will never, ever be in any position of power. I can't even see you making above average wages. Good luck in your life, you surely need it.

Thankfully you will never, ever be in any position of power. I can't even see you making above average wages. Good luck in your life, you surely need it.

The profession i will enter in a year or two will give me a yearly wage of $50000. Unfortunatly im not old enough to apply yet.

The profession i will enter in a year or two will give me a yearly wage of $50000. Unfortunatly im not old enough to apply yet.

Hahaha, $50K? Thats just above average wages. Congratulation, you surely will have someone fooled if you manage to land that job, unless it is the army that is as they are desperate and would accept even retarded applicants.

Hahaha, $50K? Thats just above average wages. Congratulation, you surely will have someone fooled if you manage to land that job, unless it is the army that is as they are desperate and would accept even retarded applicants.

The Army. For your information the average soldier earns closer to $40000 which is alot less than $50000. And just for you that is a $10000 difference.

I have to say CTRL that i'm sure you have a worldly wise interest in all things but your insistence on posting here specifically about India leads me to suspect your motives. I was happy to agree with you the other day that it is frustrating not being able to speak openly without the racist card being used, but now i am beginning to believe that you are being antagonistic. I'm happy to debate on all things at all times but there is a pattern here that i find distinctly questionable.

I have to say CTRL that i'm sure you have a worldly wise interest in all things but your insistence on posting here specifically about India leads me to suspect your motives. I was happy to agree with you the other day that it is frustrating not being able to speak openly without the racist card being used, but now i am beginning to believe that you are being antagonistic. I'm happy to debate on all things at all times but there is a pattern here that i find distinctly questionable.

Actually, for once you are wrong. The fact that India got mentioned this time was a mere coincident. I have given up on making some of the Indian members discuss issues facing their country and how those again might affect the world as a whole.

The report mentions China, and I think the problem might be even bigger/worse there. But as its is a rather closed regime, any statistics will not be produced as Beijing wants not - at least openly - to deal with it. A Chinese friend of mine told me that the influx of men from inland China coming into the cities to find brides just highligts the issue. Its a drought of women, meaning they now have social issues/stresses with men not being able to find spouces. Tragic to say the least.

Actually, for once you are wrong.

Okay, as long as it's only once.

Actually, for once you are wrong. The fact that India got mentioned this time was a mere coincident. I have given up on making some of the Indian members discuss issues facing their country and how those again might affect the world as a whole.

The report mentions China, and I think the problem might be even bigger/worse there. But as its is a rather closed regime, any statistics will not be produced as Beijing wants not - at least openly - to deal with it. A Chinese friend of mine told me that the influx of men from inland China coming into the cities to find brides just highligts the issue. Its a drought of women, meaning they now have social issues/stresses with men not being able to find spouces. Tragic to say the least.

It is not just the pattern, the last time he posted a thread, the one about condoms, he accompanied the title with something along the line of "that explains the inflated egos." Unfortunately, the thread was deleted when it should have been left open as an example of stupidity, which perhaps might have led you - dribbler (Steve?) to believe that it was intended to provoke any kind of legitimaet discussion/ debate. Even here I find the suggestion that he wanted to talk of China, when he accompanies the title with "India has killed 10 million girls". Let us not poke sand into our own eyes, let us not for a moment pretend that you have any interest in having a discussion, and I have no interest in discussing these matters which I have mentioned in the past with someone as ignorant as you.

you think that you are the only one reading news here? we have a television set at home with a cable connection, broadcasting over 300 channels! we get enough news! don't need your up dates!

Actually I think he put it best :clap3:

Actually I think he put it best :clap3:

Read the title of the Reuters article written by an Indian on the basis of research done by Indians. Now where do you think I got the idea for the thread title?

If you carry such a massive shame for your country, or any developing country for that matter on your tiny shoulders, don't enter the thread.

With any other member I might believe that. Someone with no interest in or knowledge about India, who coincidentally has vendettas against Indian members on this forum coincidentally developing sudden concern about the people of India? Nice try. Thank you, come again as AR5 would say :P

With any other member I might believe that. Someone with no interest in or knowledge about India, who coincidentally has vendettas against Indian members on this forum coincidentally developing sudden concern about the people of India? Nice try. Thank you, come again as AR5 would say :P

I carry no vandeta against India nor Indians. As a mere coincident I only care for one Indian member on this forum. And I do care about India as the welfare of on 6th of the worlds population affects us all. Now, that being said, I find it rather sad that only one member on the forum being able to recognise its many ills, which if left untreated may ruin the world.

Cavallino, don't you think this guy is sick beyond the point of argumenting with him? Let me see:

- He is pathologically obsessed with India.

- Not to mention the small penises affaire...

- He starts bubbling violent images everywhere and then says he is against violent religions.

- He starts a topic against India every five minutes, yet sneaks aways everytime any English or American fellow of the forum scorns him for his continuous attacks.

- His alleged defense that he is, in fact, trying to help Indians ir just informing "scientific facts" is as stupidly false and as subtle as an elephant's sneeze. It is also so coward a way to avoid the responsabilities of his own statements that can only come from a perturbed mind.

I would declare him insane, and recommend a psychatric treatment ASAP. Sorry, Hermy!

it seems the japs need those whales for their research! :mf_tongue: like, they would like to determine their migrating habbits and other medicine crap stuff! funny excuses these govt spokesmen give out....