Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Unicef Reports

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights...argentina01.htm

http://www.unhchr.ch/tbs/doc.nsf/(Symbol)/...7d?Opendocument

Argentina

While Argentina has considered itself a crisol de razas or melting pot, it has only recently begun to recognize itself as a multicultural, multiracial society. The government of Argentina has taken significant formal steps toward the elimination of racial discrimination over the last decade. However, the measures provided by legal and institutional changes are still in the initial stages of implementation and have been substantially hindered by a lack of funds, the logistical and political complications associated with the transfer of power from one party to another in 1999, and Argentina's history of racism.

Most sources report Argentina's population as 97 per cent white (mostly of Italian and Spanish descent) and three percent mestizo (Amerindian' and European), Amerindian, or other nonwhite groups.

The nineteenth century founders of the nation aimed to make Argentina a white nation through various policies aimed at eliminating ethnic minority populations, while simultaneously encouraging European immigration. The 1853 Constitution is still largely in force today, and the preference for European immigration remains explicit. Racial discrimination persists against indigenous peoples, immigrants, Afro-Argentines, mestizo Argentines, Jews and Arabs. Argentina's indigenous peoples face struggles concerning fundamental issues of survival, maintenance of cultural and linguistic integrity, land rights and bilingual education. Furthermore, the small, impoverished, socially maligned population must fight for mere recognition. The indigenous population in Argentina according to the 2005 Complementary Survey of Indigenous Peoples, stands at approximately 318,700 people (0.8 percent of the total population)[1].

Immigration from other South American nations rose in the second half of the 20th century. Korean immigrants also began to arrive in significant numbers in the 1970s (totaling approximately 30,000 by 1998). The delayed 2000 census and the large number of undocumented immigrants makes an accurate assessment of recent immigration difficult, but the 1991 census counted close to five per cent of the total population as foreign born.

Politicians have used rising crime rates in the metropolitan Buenos Aires area to fuel xenophobia and to argue for further restrictions on immigrants. They blame immigrants for the rise in crime, despite the government's own statistics demonstrating that immigrants were not responsible for the majority of crimes. News reports on the proposed legislation referred to foreign workers as an "invasion' and also blamed them for lower wages and high unemployment. Discrimination against Korean immigrants significantly worsened after a series of news reports in 1993 on a case of Korean grocers exploiting undocumented Bolivian immigrant workers and stealing electricity from the State appeared in the press. A previous popular image of Koreans as industrious changed to an image of Koreans as poorly integrated, exclusive, and not willing to learn Spanish. Their presence in good schools and neighbourhoods has been described as an invasion.

The Jewish population in Argentina is estimated at two per cent (the largest in Latin America and fifth worldwide). The most recent manifestations of Argentina's history of anti-Semitism include the terrorist bombings of the Israeli embassy (1992) and the Argentine Jewish Mutual Aid Association (1994), the desecration of Jewish cemeteries and the prevalence of swastikas and anti-Semitic slogans among the graffiti on buildings (including government buildings) in Buenos Aires. Anti- Semitic attitudes are widespread among the populace, and many do not consider Jewish people to be truly Argentine. Anti-Semitism within security forces also remains a significant problem. For example, until popular agitation forced a change in 2000, a police manual contained racist and anti-Semitic expressions.

Former President Carlos Menem, while his Syrian ancestry did not prevent him from being elected -- an important indicator of the lack of discrimination -- he was required to convert to Catholicism when he ran in 1989 (this prerequisite has since been abolished), and informal criticisms of him during his tenure were sometimes radicalized.

On 24 August 1994, the Argentine Constitution was amended in several ways that are relevant to the elimination of racial discrimination. In correspondence with international human rights instruments, new amendments prohibit discrimination, provide equal civil rights to nationals and foreigners, and recognize indigenous communities as previously-extant legal entities entitled to participation in relevant development issues. Under the auspices of the Instituto Nacional de Asuntos Indigenas (National Institute of Indigenous Affairs, INAT), various programmes have been established for furthering land re-distribution, bilingual education, health programmes, and rural economic development. Other articles allow for equal access to education, with protections for cultural identities and diversity, and give international human rights treaties, including the Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, equal standing with the Constitution.

wikipedia.org

Its eems to be one happy harmonious place.

:offtopic:

In June we will have a full strength side with Kewell fully fit. I love seeing a full MCG will 100000 Australians chanting. I dont know how the match will turn out but im really looking forward to the contest.

The Argies are coming? :clap3: I'll see if I can go, how much are the tickets?

BTW Ashwin, have you seen Matrubhoomi? Its supposedly a movie about/depicting the matter.

More on the matter:

Female infanticide in India

There's been a fair amount of discussion of China's missing girls, and of what the future may hold for a society that puts family foremost, but now lacks enough mates for its young men.

The situation in India, however, isn't much different, and the crisis may in fact be even further along, as the Times of London reports:

Social scientists say that India is missing 40 million girls, aborted en masse over the years by parents, rich and poor, who saw them as a liability, while boys are cherished for continuing the family line and providing economic security. All over India, since the 1980s when the country was flooded with cheap ultrasound technology, this mobile killing machine, wielded by doctors with no ethics, has been doing its lethal work. Villages may not have clean drinking water or electricity, but they have access to ultrasound tests. Some clinics in towns load the machine on to a van, along with a generator, and go to remote towns offering sex-selection services. In some villages no girl has been born for years.

The Indian Medical Association estimates that five million female foetuses are aborted each year. As a result, the sex ratio in the 0 to 6 age group in some northern areas (where the craze for boys is at its worst) is amazingly skewed: 793 females for every 1,000 boys. In some areas it is 754, and in parts of Punjab and Haryana, the figure is about 600.

These figures are truly shocking -- far worse than anything I've seen in even the most alarmist discussions of the situation in China.

The results are proving to be devastating. In Haryana a whole generation of young men is failing to find wives because a quarter of the female population has simply disappeared. In Punjab men who want to marry and raise families are growing desperate. . .

Ad hoc solutions to the bride famine are emerging. Women are allegedly being shared. Women

BTW Ashwin, have you seen Matrubhoomi? Its supposedly a movie about/depicting the matter.

yes,

not surprisingly it bombeb in the box office :rolleyes2:

The results are proving to be devastating. In Haryana a whole generation of young men is failing to find wives because a quarter of the female population has simply disappeared. In Punjab men who want to marry and raise families are growing desperate. . .

the times of India had an article the other day where they mentioned that the situation is the opposite in Russia where many men disappeared in "WAR" and there is a pattern of Russian women marrying Indian men .

i dont mind giving it a try :wub:

:rolleyes:

My fault...now I have to face of letting it go so as not to divert furthermore from the topic or answering an obvious provocation and getting into delicate issues concerning Argentina's present situation: I chose the latter because Hermy had a point and it would be unfair not to recognize it even if it was just conceived as a blindshot trying to hurt my feelings like with the jewish card.

Ok, first, I did not deny corruption which is rampant. Neither the perception (overrated, I think) that Argentina could have become one of the most succesful nations.

Regarding racism, you are right. There is a lot of racism going on here. Most of what that article says is true. Now, here comes the catch: all the racism here is just the same you can encounter in most countries? How do I classify "average racism" from "blatant racism"? Well, before clarifying that point let me make things clear for everybody I AM STRONGLY AGAINST ANY FORM OF RACISM WHETHER IT IS WHAT I CALL AVERAGE OR BLATANT!!!

Now, racism in Argentina manifests in cases like the ones posted in the article. Upper class discos tend to reject people of non-white appearance (also white people that don't look good enough to their standards like a blonde, white friend of mine that was rejected once for having "Long hair"). Native cultures were left aside for long time, and of course the shy projects to integrate them after almost wipping them off the face of earth are both not enough and too late to be of any use (there are almost no indian culture lefts after 1880 when a huge campaign was made to erradicate indians). One of the most common insults is "Negro de mi**da" (meaning "sh***y nigger) which shows that we are not the melting pot we are so proud of being (yes...we all heard that phrase in our school days here)

Now, there are no waves of crime acts against people based on color or religion. There are no political movements (except skinheads and a very small right wing neo nazi group) that support any kind of discrimination whereas it is openly or concealed under migration policies. Despite the huge movements of latin american people to and from Argentina along with the economic mayhems in our respective countries, there never was a policy to stop or segegate them in any way. You can still go to the INADI (Institute against Discrimination) and make a protest in case someone attacks you. Not many people is aware of it, but the Institue does act on most complaints of racism.

As a conclusion: Do we have racism? Yes...give yourself a cookie for that Hermy.

Are we a "blatantly racist" country: not at all. We build no walls in our borders, we have nothing like the KKK here, and people that supports killings based on skin colour, religion or any other racist reason goes to jail.

You would go to jail here Hermy, so don't brag much about this post!

yes,

not surprisingly it bombeb in the box office :rolleyes2:

the times of India had an article the other day where they mentioned that the situation is the opposite in Russia where many men disappeared in "WAR" and there is a pattern of Russian women marrying Indian men .

i dont mind giving it a try :wub:

Hahaha, the Russian war means either Chetznya (sp) or they pursue monkey business in other countries.

I think a Russian woman would be great. Often beautiful and well educated, but they may have crude manners...

Hermy, blah blah blah..

For a person with such (self acclaimed) geart knowledge, you seem to know little of your own history. Up until the turn of the last century Argentina had the 4th biggest economy in the world. You have untold natural resources, yet you claim you could not be the success of South America? I do remember hearing about a good education system (at least up until the infamous de-evaluation of your currency). Now why has everything taken a turn for the worse? Is it the fault of the IMF? Corruption? Lazyness? You tell me. As far as I am concerned the best thing to come out of Argentina in the last 40 years is the Dogo.

Regardless, I wil make a seperate thread. This thread is reserved for a far more important topic.

For a person with such (self acclaimed) geart knowledge, you seem to know little of your own history. Up until the turn of the last century Argentina had the 4th biggest economy in the world. You have untold natural resources, yet you claim you could not be the success of South America? I do remember hearing about a good education system (at least up until the infamous de-evaluation of your currency). Now why has everything taken a turn for the worse? Is it the fault of the IMF? Corruption? Lazyness? You tell me. As far as I am concerned the best thing to come out of Argentina in the last 40 years is the Dogo.

Regardless, I wil make a seperate thread. This thread is reserved for a far more important topic.

In bold, false statements/statements that I only made in your head.

As for the separate thread, I agree.

Less and less boys will get laid.

A sham of India.

The worker needs to be protected in India. Why can't the government protect them more by installing minimum wage laws?

Hmm since It has said It will make no more posts about this, let's see where we go with this :unsure:

The extent of the problem baffles me. Every other problem in Indian society you do catch a glimpse of, or you can accept the fact that it doesn't happen around you. This on the other hand is staggering, immensely depressing, and extremely hard to explain. You go to places in Delhi, colonies of well educated people, fairly well off and yet according to the census, the sex ratio for these places is so abysmally low. States like Punjab and Haryana are products of the so called Indian green revolution, simply driving there you realise you are in one of the most prosperous parts of India, and yet they are the worse culprits - incidentally Punjab is also the source of a huge number of migrants from India, it would eb interesting to see statistics from large Indian communities abroad so see how deep the cancer grows.

It is baffling because you cannot blame the obvious problems of less education, ignorance, poverty etc. This is in a city where a huge number of women work, and in terms of the freedom that women have it is one of the better places in the country (though the record is far far from spotless in that respect).

I am yet to read/ hear a good explanation..

you are kidding ,right

Delhi is the rape capital of India and from my experience of travelling to Haryana,it is the most male chavunistic society ......

where "BETA" is better than "BETI". i can give you countless examples of Women in Mumbai who have Inherited companies and run it successfully.now give me one example of that from "North".

also one of my "Punjabi" neighbours is a prime example of discrimination ..........

i wuldnt want to elaborate ,for some "OFFENDED" parties may say i am "ANTI-PUNJABI"

The worker needs to be protected in India. Why can't the government protect them more by installing minimum wage laws?

They exist, they aren't followed, like a lot of laws in India.

Delhi is the rape capital of India and from my experience of travelling to Haryana,it is the most male chavunistic society ......

Rape capital is a relative term, and the number is miniscule compared to the female infanticides

i can give you countless examples of Women in Mumbai who have Inherited companies and run it successfully.now give me one example of that from "North".
Now that is silly. I don't know, I don't care. I do know a lot of women who come from progressive families in these very colonies, and there is a hell of a lot a woman can do in Delhi that she can't in most of rural India and cities in most conservative states i.e. most states. Mumbai is better in that respect, I am well aware of that, however that doesn ot explain the extent and the pervasiveness of the sex ratio imbalance.
also one of my "Punjabi" neighbours is a prime example of discrimination ..........

i wuldnt want to elaborate ,for some "OFFENDED" parties may say i am "ANTI-PUNJABI"

:angry: I am half Punjabi you be-luddy racist :P

Seriously, there is a huge difference between a patriarchal society and one that would kill a child in cold blood, I have been in contact with plenty of the former, none of the latter.

Of course some women choose to live in a patriarchal system, and are perfectly happy in the convenience of doing that.

it is mostly true, but these Sh#t were in the past. but it still happens,

Sad and true.

You never give up do you. You must spend most of your time looking for articles which you know will promote racist arguements on this forum.

He never gives up.

I think this article is important, but it's pretty ****ing old news and has no pretty ****ing place on an F1 forum