Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

Poll: Was Wahada Right In Refusing To Deploy To Iraq?

Was Wahada right in refusing to Deploy to Iraq?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is he justified?

• Yes
    • No

First Lt. Ehren Watada, a 28-year-old Hawaii native, is the first commissioned officer in the U.S. to publicly refuse deployment to Iraq. He announced last June his decision not to deploy on the grounds the war is illegal.

Lt. Watada was based at Fort Lewis, Washington, with the Army's 3rd (Stryker) Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. He has remained on base, thus avoiding charges of desertion.

He does, however, face one count of "missing troop movement" and four counts of "conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman." If convicted, he faces up to six years in prison.

Full story here

http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs19056

----------------------

I personally feel he is right

I like silver and blue. They both look smashing together on an embroidered procompsognathid.

EDIT: My keyboard didn't type in the 'y' for 'They' so I had to add it back in. Good thing, too, because my post would make no sense whatsoever without it............

I like silver and blue. They both look smashing together on an embroidered procompsognathid.

EDIT: My keyboard didn't type in the 'y' for 'They' so I had to add it back in. Good thing, too, because my post would make no sense whatsoever without it............

I like silver and blue also, my high school colors :thbup: But right now I'm very partial to blue and gold, The Chargers team colors :thbup::thbup::thbup:

This intrigues me, Mike - do you have a very clever, but naughty keyboard? Do you tell it what to type and it does it for you, though occasionally it 'acts up' and doesn't type one of the letters you told it to type? I still have to type manually......[sigh] :lol:

I think he's wrong. Whatever the motives for the war we can at least do our best to make it better now, and that means officers following orders.

Aha ! Two Americans not willing to comment, yet a Britisher does make a comment, interesting statistics so far. Murray, I agree with you on the fact that in the Army one cannot afford to have officers who do not follow orders...............Yet there is something about this story that makes me think twice...

Have you seen 'A Few Good Men'? I guess that is the best parallel I can think of

Edit: Abu Ghraib is another bad example of soldiers following bad orders........, but could bad orders be used as a justification for what they did ??

Edit2: Looks like the Americans gonna stay away from this one........

I was in the Navy, officers must follow orders, that's all I'm gonna say.

What are your favorite colors?

My favourite colour is blue. Very, very, dark blue.

For Mock: We had 2 very similar cases in this country. One on grounds that the war was illegal (not accepted) and one on the grounds of religious conflict (the serviceman was a muslim and objected to possibly killing fellow muslims - they found him an alternative posting) My view? If you join the armed forces then you may be called upon to do things you find distasteful. You cannot pick and choose.

On the other hand, I do like deep greens as well.

My favourite colour is blue. Very, very, dark blue.

For Mock: We had 2 very similar cases in this country. One on grounds that the war was illegal (not accepted) and one on the grounds of religious conflict (the serviceman was a muslim and objected to possibly killing fellow muslims - they found him an alternative posting) My view? If you join the armed forces then you may be called upon to do things you find distasteful. You cannot pick and choose.

On the other hand, I do like deep greens as well.

I dare say a Navy blue? Or much darker midnight blue?

I like emerald green also..........

Back in a bit, must finish watching Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstien :lol:

What a hard life you lead!

Midnight blue, of course.

I prefer Laurel and Hardy, myself.

What a hard life you lead!

Midnight blue, of course.

I prefer Laurel and Hardy, myself.

Well Stan and Ollie are certainly among my favorites as are the Stooges............

If he feels the war is illegal, then he must follow his conscience.

As St. Augustine said, 'an unjust law is no law at all'.

As a corollary, in most martial law systems, if following an order requires that you commit an illegal act, it is not a defence to a subsequent prosecution for that crime that you were ordered to commit it by your superior.

Whether or not that has any application to this situation I cannot say, but the blanket assertion that a soldier must always follow orders is not correct.

If he feels the war is illegal, then he must follow his conscience.

As St. Augustine said, 'an unjust law is no law at all'.

Hmm I'd disagree there. Iraq is hardly the first or only violation of international law by the United States armed forces. There is no draft, it is a volunteer army in a developed country where it is far from the sole source of employment - he knew what he was in for when he enlisted. If he didn't, he should have.

That's how the military works, and I can't really argue that that is unnecessary.

I was going to say my fave colour at the moment is kahki.

Then I came over all guilty thinking that I might offend someone who doesn't like colours associated with army colours. Now I don't know what to do, I mean, I do like it but I don't want to make this into a thread where others just verbally toss others off. That's horrid.

So I'm going to choose, erm, yellow. As my favourite colour for the purposes of this forum anyways. But if that offends anyone if they think it's a reference to the chap that is the subject of this post, then I'm sorry. In fact I'll change it. Right now.

Green then. I don't mean it's because I am green in terms of lifestyle; far from it. But just in case the greenies get upset (not a difficult thing I imagine), I'll change it to another colour, perhaps if I mix the yellow and green?

Oh dear. I think that's khaki....

My favourite word is 'podule'. Try it. Go on, just say 'podule' loads of times and see how much pleasure it gives you. Don't say it near dogs though. It seems to annoy them.

Other words that are fun to repeat many times are:

Innit

Brrowwwwmmm

He

Ha

It

A

Scrotum

Lorry

GOon!

Deeper

Yes

Ooh

Wow

Sardinia

Enjoy. I mean enjoy saying them over and over. I didn't mean say 'enjoy' lots and lots of times, but I might try it. I think I know a song about that.

Is silver a colour?

I've given it some thought, and I do like blue too (most shades) but I didn't want to follow the crowd. Blue it is then.

I personally feel he is right

I personally feel he is wrong, very wrong. If you sign up to serve in an armed force then you should fight without question, that's the discipline. To question whether your superiors are right or wrong threatens the very nature of an army. You should unite whether you are right or wrong. All this defectious speak is indicative of the namby pamby PC world we are living in, it makes me sick.

My favourite word is 'podule'. Try it. Go on, just say 'podule' loads of times and see how much pleasure it gives you. Don't say it near dogs though. It seems to annoy them.

That's just very funny.

That's a woody word if ever I heard one. But I find that a tinny word can give just as much enjoyment. For example, spindly. A classic example of a tinny word.

Gimboid

Don't know why, but I just like that one from Red Dwarf! :lol:

AllI need to do now is try and mix podule with gimboid........... :D

That's a woody word if ever I heard one. But I find that a tinny word can give just as much enjoyment. For example, spindly. A classic example of a tinny word.

Woody? Hmm, I thought a hint of nut.

But woody is a beautiful word to repeat over and over and over and over again, thank you for that.

I also have a predilection for anything that one can really get one's tongue around. 'Orifice' seems to hit the spot - as long as one remebers to roll one's 'R's.

EDIT: Thank you Pabloh. 'Gimboid', indeed a classic. GimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGim

boidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboi

d

GimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGim

b

oidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboidGimboid

G

imboidGimboid.

Yummy.

Woody? Hmm, I thought a hint of nut.

But woody is a beautiful word to repeat over and over and over and over again, thank you for that.

Even better - make it into a song! :lol:

Long time no see, medilloni, good to see some of your posts again! :D

Even better - make it into a song! :lol:

Long time no see, medilloni, good to see some of your posts again! :D

Yes old chum, busy preparing for a (work) trip to Californ i ey. I think the excitement is getting to me, and the bonus is it's fitting in well before the start of the season.

I thought Woody might fit into the Lumberjack Song. I'll give it a whirl.

Yes old chum, busy preparing for a (work) trip to Californ i ey. I think the excitement is getting to me, and the bonus is it's fitting in well before the start of the season.

I thought Woody might fit into the Lumberjack Song. I'll give it a whirl.

Cool! :lol:

I was thinking of trying to get all your words into a song, something to the tune of Milk Cow Blues by Eddie Cochran......

I woke up this morning

My woody fell out of bed

Some gimboid trod on it

And it made me see red

I said, leeeaaaaaave in your podule

Go back to Sardinia

Coz if I ever get hold of your scrotum

You're gonna wind up being dead

That's as far as I got and I had to get gimboid in there too! :lol: