Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

A Mclaren Movie?

We are hearing whispers from New Zealand of plans for a movie to be based on the life of Bruce McLaren and produced by some of those involved in the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. The films were so successful that New Zealand had benefited hugely from an influx of tourists and the director Peter Jackson has been propelled to the position of being a major player in Hollywood with his own studio called Wingnut Films. He followed up the trilogy with a remake of King Kong, which has been another big success, and is now working on various projects including a remake of The Dambusters, a film called Those Lovely Bones and a film based on the video game Halo.

What is not clear is whether Jacxkson is involved in the McLaren project or whether it is others who are keen to continue to growth of the New Zealand film industry.

We expect an announcement soon.

Bruce McLaren was the pioneer of New Zealanders racing in Europe and won his first Grand Prix at the age of just 22. He started his own racing team in 1964 and entered F1 in 1966. That year was hard in F1 but McLaren won the Le Mans 24 Hours. The team expanded dramatically with cars in F1, CanAm, USAC and Formula 2 and in 1968 the team won its first F1 victories. McLaren finished third in the World Championship in 1969 but in June 1970 was killed while testing a McLaren CanAm car at Goodwood. The company lived on to become one of the foremost racing teams in the world.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17924.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im almost ashamed to admitt this but i always thought Bruce McLaren was English. My only defence is that knowlegde of pre 1990 F1 is rather weak and i dont usually bother to look up old school F1 facts.

Man if you lived in a Merc Crazy house like mine you would never have not known that but back on topic, I really hope this is true, but i doubt that the FOM will really allow it or otherwise charge bagillians of dollars for any mention of F1. Just think of it, the FOM actually tried to get the studio that made Grandprix pay for use of the F1 name and tracks decades after the Movie was shot

Hope they will produce a film on Bernie Ecclestone's life, too. They already have that Gollum character quite right so, with a few script changes here and there...

Hope they will produce a film on Bernie Ecclestone's life, too. They already have that Gollum character quite right so, with a few script changes here and there...

:lol:

Gotta love Bernie "where can I get my hands on another million" Ecclestone.................................not

Lol, yeah, nice one Quite One!

---

I don't know about a movie, i've seen so many racing films like this that just haven't worked but I could be wrong.

Not sure about Peter Jackson, he'll surely be busy at the moment.

I'll look out for it.

McLaren film to launch today

The Bruce McLaren movie which we reported about recently is taking place today at Taupo in New Zealand, to coincide with the A1 Grand Prix event. The film is to be produced by Michael Garlick and Barrie M Osborne, the latter having been the producer of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Among those who are expected at the event are Patty McLaren-Brickett, Bruce McLaren's widow, his daughter Amanda, his sister Jan, plus Sir Jack Brabham, Chris Amon, Emerson Fittipaldi and former McLaren Racing directors Eoin Young and Phil Keer, plus Wally Willmott, one of the original team mechanics. The event will also be attended by New Zealand government minister Jim Anderton

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17966.html

As it has it Bruce's stable has nothing to do with Ron's stable, so the movie will probably disapoint a lot of 'newbies' such a cav and his ilk.

Nevertheless, it will hopefully be good.

Tom Cruise to play Bruce McLaren?

If the late Bruce McLaren's wife has her way, big-name Hollywood actor Tom Cruise will play the role of her deceased husband in a upcoming movie to be made about McLaren's life.

"I was talking about who could play the part this morning with my daughter, Amanda, and I thought Tom Cruise would be a good choice," Mrs Patty McLaren-Brickett told NZPA.

"He looks very similar to Bruce - he is dark, he is the same height and has a similar build - he is the only person I thought of at the moment - but he would be too expensive."

Plans to make a a big budget film about the life of New Zealand motor-racing icon Bruce McLaren were announced at the New Zealand A1GP earlier this weekend.

A race driver and an engineer, McLaren died on June 2, 1970 in an accident while testing at the Goodwood circuit in England at the age of 33.

He had, however, already laid the foundation for the McLaren F1 team, one of Formula One's most dominant outfits.

http://www.planetf1.com/News/Story_Page/0,...1859238,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im glad this is likely to never happen as i doubt Cruise could do a convincing Kiwi accent.

+1 Agreed. ROFL.