Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumikonen

Iranian Threat???

If Israel had tactical nukes, would it use them against Iran?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would They?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should they?

• Yes
    • No

If Israel had tactical nukes, would it use them against Iran?

A nuclear weapon has not been used since 1945, when the US Armed Forces dropped two such bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II. Now, according to London's Sunday Times, Israel is preparing for its own Hiroshima and has drawn up plans to not only introduce the weapon of mass destruction into the Middle East but even use it against Iran.

The newspaper report, improbable as it might sound, should not be immediately dismissed. While Israel is publicly rooting for diplomatic efforts to stop Iran's nuclear program, there is no doubt that the IDF - and particularly the Air Force - are preparing for the possibility that Israel might decide to launch a military strike against the Islamic Republic's nuclear facilities.

But would Israel use tactical nuclear weapons - if it had them - to do so? According to foreign reports, Israel has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons and according to the Sunday Times report, has been training with low-yield warheads that are just large enough to cause the necessary destruction at Iran's nuclear facilities, but also just small enough to contain the blast and prevent major collateral damage and fallout.

While it would be difficult to completely destroy all of Iran's several dozen nuclear facilities, senior officials and IAF officers believe that a successful strike on a number of key elements of the nuclear program - such as the uranium enrichment center in Natanz, the heavy water facility at Arak and the Isfahan nuclear technology center - would be enough to stop the country's race for nuclear power.

Assuming strikes on these facilities would suffice in at least temporarily stopping Iran's atomic race, there are still many hurdles along the way, some of which could potentially be passed by using tactical nuclear weapons.

The Sunday Times report is not the first to raise the "tactical nuclear" possibility. Last April, Seymour M. Hersh wrote in the New Yorker magazine that the United States was considering using bunker-buster bombs tipped with nuclear warheads to strike at Iran's nuclear facilities.

If Israel decided to attack Iran, in addition to the difficulty in flying directly to the country and neutralizing its air defenses, the IAF would also have to succeed in penetrating bunkers at the nuclear facilities - some known to be dozens of feet below ground and reinforced by concrete and steel.

According to Israeli officials, while an air strike on Iran could be successful, the IAF would need exact intelligence on each target and on the type of bunker, its depth, and what type of reinforcements it featured. Those pieces of information are crucial for choosing the type and number of bombs the IAF would need to drop.

This is where tactical nuclear weapons could conceivably come in.

While bunker buster bombs would still be needed, the powerful blast of a low-yield nuke could do the trick in further penetrating and destroying the underground facility. If Israel indeed has nuclear weapons and the ability to manufacture low-yield warheads, as the Sunday Times report claims, this option would definitely be under consideration.

While the use of nuclear weapons might be tempting - due to their strength - there is a downside that could in the end tilt the scales in the direction of conventional weapons. While Israel is suspected of possessing nuclear weapons, the official Israeli policy has for years been not to be the first country in the Middle East to introduce nuclear weapons into the region. In addition, Israel would be reluctant to use a WMD that could set off a regional war.

If, however, Iran is Israel's greatest existential threat ever, as Prime Minister Ehud Olmert claims it is, then even the hitherto unthinkable might be considered - even tactical nukes - when it comes to Israel's survival.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

No, and who gives a rats a$$

I think this is important, the war could spread from Iraq to Iran.

USA says that Iran is sending troops to fight them in Iraq and that is a reason for USA to attack them, and a good point o start the war could be this about the iranian nuclear facilities, Israel could do the same as in 1981 when they blew up Iraq's nuclear facilities, if they do so Iran is going to attack them back and USA is going to get involved, this is a national security issue for Israel because Iran wants to dissapear Israel out the map and they would do it if they could but they don't have the power to do it right now and hat could change if they are planning to use those facilities to build nuclear bombs.

Add to this that China has some interest in Iranian oil and that Russia is an Iranian supporter what can we get if Israel really use those nuclear bombs to stop Iran's plans.

You're watching a lot of Fox news/ CNN aren't you? Get hold of a decent news source that doesn't feed you rubbish.

Israel is a heavily defended fortress armed with the deadliest weapons i nthe world, unconstrained with moralities that affect more civilised nations. Plenty of people say they want to wipe it off the map. They can't. Few Isralis say they want to wipe Palestine off the map. They are just doing it..

You're watching a lot of Fox news/ CNN aren't you? Get hold of a decent news source that doesn't feed you rubbish.

Israel is a heavily defended fortress armed with the deadliest weapons i nthe world, unconstrained with moralities that affect more civilised nations. Plenty of people say they want to wipe it off the map. They can't. Few Isralis say they want to wipe Palestine off the map. They are just doing it..

What you said just make no sense.

Fisrt you said that they have "the deadliest weapons in the world", wich is not true, "unconstrained with moralities that affect more civilised nations." here is where this become senseless, what is stopping this nation from wipping palestinian off the map? they can do this in just one day but they don't want to do it, and just like you said Israel is still there because those other nations just can't wipe them off, and no matter if they get atomic bombs they will never be able to do it.

Israel is traying get peace but Palestinian do not want to negotiate with them, they just want to wipe Israel off the map like Iran said, don't you see that Hamas and fatah are killing each other, Israel suppuort one of them because they want peace and the other one just want to keep fighting Israel until the end.

Why don't you try to find some news about Egipt saling weapons to Palestinian with Israel consent and why don't you get some news about the pressure on Isarel's PM because he is doing nothing in palestinian rocket launched into Isarel territory and I mean more than 60? If he is doing nothing on this is just becasue he really want to get a real peace in the area.

And Answering your question I don't see, read or listen Fox nor CNN.

In simple words a nation with the deadliest weapons and unconstrained with moralities that affect more civilised nations and who wants to wipe off a small country and they don't do it? there must be something wrong here and I see it in you way of seeing things.

Face it Iran, Siria, Palestine etc will never be capable or able of wipe Israel off no matter what they do or say, you are going to have to live with it.

It'd be so cool if Israel drops a nuke or two. Would make great viewing on t.v. Of course, I assume they'd drop on some isolated,uninhabited place.

Oh dear, there is NOTHING cool about war, dropping nuclear weapons etc. Nothing cool at all.

This is the deal here:

Iranian president said that Israel has to be wiped off the map and he could be developing nuclear weapons, that probably it won't be used for defense knowing that Iran always suppuort terrorism, like they are doing in Iraq, palestine and Lebanon. If they get to have thoses bombs they could use it against Israel or can give it to any terrorrist to blow eather Israel or some city here in USA, the two conutries they call Satan

Israel is believed to have more than 200 nuclear warheads and had never used them to attack any country even when they are clearly against them and Israel live in a constant threat from thoses countries, who don't acept the fact that Israel have the right to exist like any other nation.

The only way that Israel have to make sure that this threat will be no more is by blowing thoses instalations with small ot tactical nuclear bombs 1/15 of the Hiroshima bomb power, and some people believe that this would not be enough to complete destroy thoses facilities because they are so big.

What you said just make no sense.

Fisrt you said that they have "the deadliest weapons in the world", wich is not true

Ok technically it isn't, they have weapons deadlier than anything ever actually used in warfare though.

, "unconstrained with moralities that affect more civilised nations." here is where this become senseless, what is stopping this nation from wipping palestinian off the map?
Reserves of sanity in parts of its population, and the fact that they would lose all international sympathy and cooperation they blissfully use to their advantage. Why do it like that, the way they are doing it now works equally well and they lose nothing.

(In case you don't get it, I am talking of the entity called PAlestine off the map, not a genocide - They won't actually wipe out the Palestinians, merely let them rot in a little corner of expanded Israel, or in refugee camps in whichever sympathetic Arab nation lets them in)

and just like you said Israel is still there because those other nations just can't wipe them off, and no matter if they get atomic bombs they will never be able to do it.

Because planning an attack on Israel guarantees annihilation for any nation that tries it. Total annihilation.

Israel is traying get peace but Palestinian do not want to negotiate with them,
What a preposterous lie. Palestinians are quite willing to negotiate and recognize Israel, what they want is an independent Palestine state, as given to them by the same UN resolution that created Israel. The same deal that various Arab countries have repeatedly offered Israel, but which Israle has refused - because it would involve Israel retreating to its legally defined borders, vacating settlements with hundreds of thousands of people living on land that belongs to Syria, Lebanon and Palestine, settlements which are illegal under international law.
they just want to wipe Israel off the map like Iran said

It's not what they want, it is what they are willing to accept. They are willing to accept what is theirs under recognised international law, UN resolutions from 1967, Israel is not willing to accept that.

, don't you see that Hamas and fatah are killing each other
They are fighting, and that shouldn't surprise you. Take millions of people, starve them and imprison them in a small tract of land with no freedom, invade and kill people in it regularly, and be they Palestinians, Jews, Blacks, Indians, whatever, there will be social unrest, violence etc. It's not rocket science, poverty breeds all this. Poverty that has been created by the refusal of the world to recognise a legitimately elected Palestine government, by the destruction of infrastructure by Israel (Do you know Israel destroyed a power station that supplies almost half of the Gaza strip, that will take months to repair, that would mean people there would be without electricity for months. A power station that has no military role at all. Why did they do it?) Poverty that has been created by the blockade on Palestine - Palestine has no borders because they are blocked by Israel. They csannot trade with any other nation, they cannot import what they need.
, Israel suppuort one of them because they want peace and the other one just want to keep fighting Israel until the end.

Rubbish. It is not for Israel to support anyone, it is for the people of Palestine ot decide in an election, which is what they did. Israel supported Hamas once upon a time, if you dind't know that. I bet you didn't.

Why don't you try to find some news about Egipt saling weapons to Palestinian with Israel consent and
Errr Are you aware of the weapons the U.S. sells no gifts to Israel, anything the Palestinians have in comparison is mere fireworks. Besides, they should be a legal nation and a nation has the right to use arms to defend itself. Whereas Israel is the one ocupying foreign territorym not defending itself. So who should have the weapons?
why don't you get some news about the pressure on Isarel's PM because he is doing nothing in palestinian rocket launched into Isarel territory and I mean more than 60?

What about the hundreds of people, civilians killedin Gaza in the recent Israeli invasion. The number killed in Israel by rocket is probably less than 10..

If he is doing nothing on this is just becasue he really want to get a real peace in the area.
:lol: Doing nothing? Where were you when half of Lebanon was destroyed by Israel, when Israel killed hundreds in Gaza? Have you heard of Beit Hanoun? Look it up then tell me its equivalent in Israel.
And Answering your question I don't see, read or listen Fox nor CNN.

Whereever you get this tripe from, your church, some right wing rag, a zionist friend, whoerver. Find out what really happens, not what some idiots tell you.

Face it Iran, Siria, Palestine etc will never be capable or able of wipe Israel off no matter what they do or say, you are going to have to live with it.

Er sir that is exactly what I said. And that is what these countries have said many times, it is Israel which refuses peace with these countries.

that probably it won't be used for defense knowing that Iran always suppuort terrorism,

Bollocks. Where does Iran support terrorism? What is terrorism? Is fighting an invading fource which occupies land that legitimately belongs to your own country terrorism?

If they get to have thoses bombs they could use it against Israel or can give it to any terrorrist to blow eather Israel or some city here in USA, the two conutries they call Satan
My my. It's the church isn't it? They fed you all this right?
The only way that Israel have to make sure that this threat will be no more is by blowing thoses instalations with small ot tactical nuclear bombs 1/15 of the Hiroshima bomb power, and some people believe that this would not be enough to complete destroy thoses facilities because they are so big.

Actually the only way Israel has is to move to its legally defined borders and return land that does not belong to it. Syria will make a peace settlement tomorrow if they return Goilan heights. Accept a Palestine state in East Jerusalem, Gaza and West bank and Hamas will too. Both these countries are legally entitled to this according to UN security council resolutions.

I don't get involved in these political debates, as a matter of principle, but I feel bound to contribute my two penn'orth on this one. The creation of the state of Israel at the expense of the Palestinians is one of the great injustices of the world. I'll say no more on the subject.

I don't get involved in these political debates, as a matter of priniple, but I feel bound to contribute my two penn'orth on this one. The creation of the state of Israel at the expense of the Palestinians is one of the great injustices of the world. I'll say no more on the subject.

I don't get involved in these debate too,(though I used to), but I am here just to back you, World today would have been atleast 75% more peaceful if Israel hadn't been created that way. Thats all...

No, and who gives a rats a$$

:thbup:

How about forcing out all Israelis to USA & preventing Middle-East people from coming to USA?

Makes a lot of sense!

I don't get involved in these debate too,(though I used to), but I am here just to back you, World today would have been atleast 75% more peaceful if Israel hadn't been created that way. Thats all...

That was the only way that Israel had to be created.

75% is not real mumber, if you take in count all recent wars in nthe world you will nothing that most of them had nothing to do with Israel, I will give you some examples, Argentina- England, Iraq-Iran, Urss-Afganithan, USA-Afganisthan, USA-Iraq, Iraq- Kwait, USA-Panama, Nicaragua war, USA-Korea, Usa-Vietnan, USa-Grenada and before Israel creation we had two WW.

Is a fact that we are going to have war as long as man is leaving in the earth, you see countries continuosly threatening its neighbours, like N Korea, Iran, India and Paskistan, China and Taiwan... list could be endless.

So Israel is not the problem here, Israel was destroyed by the Roman Impire and its people was forced to fleet to other countries that's all in the bible, is profecy and that prophecy said that Israel wil become a nation again in just one day and that happended, looks like you know the all story.

Here is the prophecy

Isaiah 66:8-10

8 Who has ever heard of such a thing?

Who has ever seen such things?

Can a country be born in a day

or a nation be brought forth in a moment?

Yet no sooner is Zion in labor

than she gives birth to her children.

9 Do I bring to the moment of birth

and not give delivery?" says the LORD.

"Do I close up the womb

when I bring to delivery?" says your God.

10 "Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,

all you who love her;

rejoice greatly with her,

all you who mourn over her.

And here is the story

Declaration of Independence of the State of Israel

From the end of the World War I until 1948 the area of present day Jordan and Israel remained under the rule of the British Empire (see brief history). During this period the Jewish community organized itself to declare independence immediately upon termination of the British rule. Indeed, on May 14, 1948 (5th of Iyar, 5708), the day in which the British Mandate over Palestine expired, the Jewish People's Council gathered at the Tel Aviv Museum, and approved the proclamation below, declaring the establishment of the State of Israel. Thus, the 5th of Iyar in Hebrew calendar is celebrated as the Independence Day of Israel. The new state of Israel was recognized that night by the United States and three days later by the USSR.

Ok technically it isn't, they have weapons deadlier than anything ever actually used in warfare though.

Thank you, this makes my point, the have those weapons and they had never used them, Iran want those weapons to used them to destroy Israel, other Arab countries and probably USA too.

Like you jsut said they have those weapons, and they don't used them, that makes them a lot better than those countries who are suppuorting terrorism.

They are jsut fighting to survive as a nation just like your country is doing testing nuclear weapons to prevent an attack from Pakistan, that's it.

Reserves of sanity in parts of its population, and the fact that they would lose all international sympathy and cooperation they blissfully use to their advantage. Why do it like that, the way they are doing it now works equally well and they lose nothing.

I admit here that I took it the wrong way, I thought that you were talking about genocide, excuse me for that.

There are a few things here, Israel were there first they maned Jerusalem before palestinian were there, they were there for centuries until the roman took them out and spread them all over the world, I know that they didn't do it in the best way my most countries don't do it and don't get as blamed as Israel was, now there is nobody to blame for Isarel being taken out its land but we have to understand that they have the right to exist as a nation and Palestinian do too.

I know taht you don't believe in the bible but Israel does at least in the old testament and there it says taht All nation will be against Isarel one day, so I doubt that they trying to keep International symphaty, here it is:

Zechariah 14

The LORD Comes and Reigns

1 A day of the LORD is coming when your plunder will be divided among you.

2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city.

3 Then the LORD will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights in the day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake [a] in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.

They believe that this is going to happend one day, that's why I tell you that they don't act trying to get international symphaty tehy know or at least believe that this is imposible.

Because planning an attack on Israel guarantees annihilation for any nation that tries it. Total annihilation.

Israel is constantly under attack of its neirghbours (and this is going to be like this for ever because is a prophecy too) and they had never Total annihilated any of those countries so I don't see why you said this.

Here is the prophecy

Ezekiel 21

Babylon, God's Sword of Judgment

1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 "Son of man, set your face against Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuary. Prophesy against the land of Israel 3 and say to her: 'This is what the LORD says: I am against you. I will draw my sword from its scabbard and cut off from you both the righteous and the wicked. 4 Because I am going to cut off the righteous and the wicked, my sword will be unsheathed against everyone from south to north. 5 Then all people will know that I the LORD have drawn my sword from its scabbard; it will not return again.'

6 "Therefore groan, son of man! Groan before them with broken heart and bitter grief. 7 And when they ask you, 'Why are you groaning?' you shall say, 'Because of the news that is coming. Every heart will melt and every hand go limp; every spirit will become faint and every knee become as weak as water.' It is coming! It will surely take place, declares the Sovereign LORD."

Here is the prophecy and as you can see that is happening right now and it was written thousands of years ago.

They are fighting, and that shouldn't surprise you. Take millions of people, starve them and imprison them in a small tract of land with no freedom, invade and kill people in it regularly, and be they Palestinians, Jews, Blacks, Indians, whatever, there will be social unrest, violence etc. It's not rocket science, poverty breeds all this. Poverty that has been created by the refusal of the world to recognise a legitimately elected Palestine government, by the destruction of infrastructure by Israel (Do you know Israel destroyed a power station that supplies almost half of the Gaza strip, that will take months to repair, that would mean people there would be without electricity for months. A power station that has no military role at all. Why did they do it?) Poverty that has been created by the blockade on Palestine - Palestine has no borders because they are blocked by Israel. They csannot trade with any other nation, they cannot import what they need.

how can those people living in poverty like you said be launching rockets and bombs aver Isarel for years and years, they prefer to attack Isarel enstead of eat, why they don't used that money to get to a better level of life instead of fighting, they are not so poor if they can do this, a lot of money is needed for this.

Rubbish. It is not for Israel to support anyone, it is for the people of Palestine ot decide in an election, which is what they did. Israel supported Hamas once upon a time, if you dind't know that. I bet you didn't.

No, I didn't know tht but know taht you said I will try to find out about it