Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Kubica's Style

There were alot of detractors when I postulated that Fernando Alonso's violent turn-in style is to compensate for understeer. I even posted an interview with Emmo that said he was told by Jochen Rindt to induce oversteer with a hard initial turn-in. Here is one more bit of proof that I do, indeed, know what I'm talking about....sometimes :P For those of you that have forum ADHD and can't read the whole article, I've put in bold the relevant parts.....

from itv-f1.com Article link

BMW Sauber

when i saw the tittle i was thinking this will one your your driving style feature which you had done earlier.

I'll probably do him when I see a few more races! It's nice to know someone reads those, thanks! (I got a few suggestions to drop it, so I did....maybe I should start it up again...?)

I'll probably do him when I see a few more races! It's nice to know someone reads those, thanks! (I got a few suggestions to drop it, so I did....maybe I should start it up again...?)

sure you should; i am quite sure i am not the only one who used to read about the driving styles

sure you should; i am quite sure i am not the only one who used to read about the driving styles

Okay, I'll give it another go....maybe I'll do Sato next. The big guns have tons written on them, but the little guys need some attention too!

Definitly do it again, just thought you where getting lazy. Did make me think about your posts when I saw this on itv's website

Definitly do it again, just thought you where getting lazy. Did make me think about your posts when I saw this on itv's website

saw what???

ps:- could you reduce the size of your sig my a tiny bit so it does not extend the border of the columns. thanks

saw what???

ps:- could you reduce the size of your sig my a tiny bit so it does not extend the border of the columns. thanks

Saw the article this thread was made about.

Sure forgot i'm using 1280x800 res, ill adapt it for 1024x768...screw anyone on 800x600 ;):P

*Edit* done, that ok for you now?

PLEASE WRITE MORE DRIVING STYLE PIECES - very interesting & insightful. One of my favorite thing to read in my former days as a forum voyer.

I'm suprised that Kubica has such a hard turn in due to his size. One would think that the larger you are, the smoother you would have to be, at least in your formative years in karting. I'm not sure of his weight, but I know he's got to be like 6'2''. I was cracking up when they got on the podium at Monza because Kubica was as tall as MS even though he was standing on the lowest step!

PLEASE WRITE MORE DRIVING STYLE PIECES - very interesting & insightful. One of my favorite thing to read in my former days as a forum voyer.

I'm suprised that Kubica has such a hard turn in due to his size. One would think that the larger you are, the smoother you would have to be, at least in your formative years in karting. I'm not sure of his weight, but I know he's got to be like 6'2''. I was cracking up when they got on the podium at Monza because Kubica was as tall as MS even though he was standing on the lowest step!

Well, Kubeetza has got quite a large, misshapen head so maybe that caused his kart to understeer so he had to develop an aggressive turn-in to compensate...... :eusa_think:

There were alot of detractors when I postulated that Fernando Alonso's violent turn-in style is to compensate for understeer.

I'm surprised you got that much flack over that hypothesis. It makes perfect sense.

When I was younger (i.e. 20's) I had a friend named Pat. He had a horrific driving style - horrific to me at least - and used to literally jerk the wheel hard over when turning in. Not surprisingly, every car he ever drove was a soft-sprung, understeering pig, yet with him sawing at the wheel like he did, he always managed to bring the back end around. I don't think it was a deliberate style, but rather something that he happened to do out of aggression, and he got away with it. I always assumed he had no style, and he was fortunate to own forgiving vehicles.

I was probably his polar opposite, as I had (and still have) a very gradual turn in, and prefer to go into the corner more slowly and power out of the turn. Thus, my car at the time (an 86 5.0 Mustang) was set up accordingly. It had a huge rear sway bar, and when driven "properly" had a very neutral balance. For me at least.

One day I let Pat drive my car so I could do some experimental photography from the passenger seat. Bad move. He literally lost control in less than 100 yard and spun the thing completely 180. The stiff suspension of the Mustang was far less forgiving of his "style" than his cars. But the net effect was the same. That hard turn in really brought the rear end around.

I guess I never put much thought into it at the time.

I'm surprised you got that much flack over that hypothesis. It makes perfect sense.

When I was younger (i.e. 20's) I had a friend named Pat. He had a horrific driving style - horrific to me at least - and used to literally jerk the wheel hard over when turning in. Not surprisingly, every car he ever drove was a soft-sprung, understeering pig, yet with him sawing at the wheel like he did, he always managed to bring the back end around. I don't think it was a deliberate style, but rather something that he happened to do out of aggression, and he got away with it. I always assumed he had no style, and he was fortunate to own forgiving vehicles.

I was probably his polar opposite, as I had (and still have) a very gradual turn in, and prefer to go into the corner more slowly and power out of the turn. Thus, my car at the time (an 86 5.0 Mustang) was set up accordingly. It had a huge rear sway bar, and when driven "properly" had a very neutral balance. For me at least.

One day I let Pat drive my car so I could do some experimental photography from the passenger seat. Bad move. He literally lost control in less than 100 yard and spun the thing completely 180. The stiff suspension of the Mustang was far less forgiving of his "style" than his cars. But the net effect was the same. That hard turn in really brought the rear end around.

I guess I never put much thought into it at the time.

The thread was titled Rindt teaches from the grave or somesuch if you want to see some of the comments.

Welcome to the forum (and great avatar choice!). Your driving style sounds like the classic style (it's classic because it works so damned well!). Pat's style is where I'd consider Sato, JPM, Alonso, Kubeetza, Karthekeyan and others' style to be: balanced on the knife's-edge of traction. Those drivers are right there at the limit and when you're in that place, there's no room for error. It's probably the hardest style to do simply because it's so unforgiving. You must be 'spot on' all the time. That's what separates MS and Alonso from Sato and Narain. All four of them have similar oversteer styles, but only two manage to get it right, lap after lap, race after race.

Okay, I'll give it another go....maybe I'll do Sato next. The big guns have tons written on them, but the little guys need some attention too!

Please do, I'd love to read your thoughts on his style :clap3:

Yay!, good stuff, hopefully we'll see someone like Fisichella in the mix? :P

Kubica has been quite impressive so far, very very fast, in Hangary for instance, although he spun a couple of times. lol

Driving style: Whatever works for him, it's nice to see someone on the edge, good exciting racing.

High hopes for him this year.

Im sure Autumnpuma loves your new username :D

hahaha

it's on the panel somewhere

We need more drivers racers like Kubica, it would make F1 one hell of a lot more exciting. That or just put them in touring cars mmm excellent!

i find kubi a very fun driver to watch, very on edge, dare i say almost like this generations Rindt, not to the same extent, but he drives very ballsy and sometimes i do wonder how he keeps it in place

I like Kubica's driving style :)

Ah, then you also love Alonso's driving style! Wonderful!

Im sure Autumnpuma loves your new username :D

:mf_tongue:

Please do, I'd love to read your thoughts on his style :clap3:

Ok, he's next....

We need more drivers racers like Kubica, it would make F1 one hell of a lot more exciting. That or just put them in touring cars mmm excellent!

Your request has been granted....Go Hamilton!!!!

i find kubi a very fun driver to watch, very on edge, dare i say almost like this generations Rindt, not to the same extent, but he drives very ballsy and sometimes i do wonder how he keeps it in place

Wonderful! Another Alonso fan!!!!! :thbup:

HAMILTON IS NOT AN EFFING RACER JESUS.

Alonso's style's not too shabby, but I prefer Kubica's - his is my favourite in the field, that is until piquet jr comes in! Heikki should be fun to watch also

Yes, that's exactly what he is. A Racer Jesus. Thanks for the term, I like it. :D

:lol:

Once again, during the last test in Valencia, Kubica clocked the best time out of all BMW Sauber F1 drivers.

It's testing try not to read much into the lap times. RK was in the new F1.07 while Timo Glock ran around in the F1.06 doing tyre evaluations no doubt.

BMW also have said that the second F1.07 chassis will be ready for the test in Valencia from the 30th Jan.