Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rumblestrip

Speaking If Spa

Spa is my favorite track. Always has been.

Back when I was watching F1 regularly, some sections of Spa were used as a regular road when races weren't happening.

Judging by the track safety changes, I'm thinking this is no longer the case. Does anyone know for sure?

Spa as a track has been evolving over the years, especially the s-curve before the first hill. This year will see changes due to safety and the new garage area, but the characteristics will remain mostly the same.

Eau Rouge is flat and the bus top is just silly. But Spa remains one of the most varied and exciting tracks.

Michael's playground. :D

Spa is my favorite track. Always has been.

Back when I was watching F1 regularly, some sections of Spa were used as a regular road when races weren't happening.

Judging by the track safety changes, I'm thinking this is no longer the case. Does anyone know for sure?

Hi Rumblestrip, a belated welcome - hope you enjoy your time here.

And what great tastes in circuits you have. Some of the great moments in F1 have come from there; just over the last few years, that magic Hakinen pass on Scumi at the end of the main straight, Raikonen avoiding the crash at the top of Eau Rouge, some of Shumi's most memorable drives.

How could they ever let that circuit go?...............

How could they ever let that circuit go?...............

Because politicians and idiots are running things, not us.

Eau Rouge is flat and the bus top is just silly.

The bus stop is one of the things that's made me wonder. I've seen some recent photos where it doesn't look the same, and looks more like a normal chicane. Not much use as a bus stop, so I'm wondering if it's ever used by the general public anymore. I know back in the 80's and perhaps early 90's it was an actual bus stop, and part of the circuit was public roads.

Some of the great moments in F1 have come from there; just over the last few years, that magic Hakinen pass on Scumi at the end of the main straight, Raikonen avoiding the crash at the top of Eau Rouge, some of Shumi's most memorable drives.

I remember a race where Prost and Mansell (when he was driving for Ferrari) had a super-intense battle for 2nd place. They drove so hard that they ate up the gap up to Senna, who was in first, and by the last few laps they were breathing down Ayrton's neck.

After the race, Mansell said that the battle was one of the most intense (and enjoyable) of his career. He said that Alain drove defensively but cleanly, and he just couldn't get by him. A real mano-a-mano.