Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

Best Qualifying Lap Ever

What about Senna's qualifying lap for the 1988 Monaco GP, where he described being in a different dimension and actually scaring himself.

Thanks aussie, that's the one i meant.

Some of the most interesting qualifying laps for me were in 95/96. J.V. could wait and come out near the end of qualifying and do a flying lap and smoke everyone.

Villeneuve 97 at Melbourne. 1.7secs faster than frentzen in second and 2.2 ahead of schum. I was on Brockies hill and he was visably faster than the field. Gap would have been bigger if he repeated is earlier practice time where he was about 2.3 ahead of HHF. Awesome

I remembered one back from the "old days" and managed to find it on Youtube. While it may not look fast by today's standards, I still think it was an awesome lap.

Senna @ Suzka. Check out how he takes the 130R and is all sideways braking into the following chicane.

Yes, this is the one I mentioned earlier... Thanks for the vid. Pure genius Senna was!

yeah u can see how much harder the cars were to drive back then, so big big respect to senna for that lap, and the 64 other poles!

^And maybe worth more than other Pole laps?

Perhaps double, giving him 130, making him the best!! lol

Not quite on topic, but just for comparison, here's Prost's lap of the same circuit, same year, same car. I believe this was free practice and not qualifying, but note the difference in driving style.

Not quite on topic, but just for comparison, here's Prost's lap of the same circuit, same year, same car. I believe this was free practice and not qualifying, but note the difference in driving style.

I can't link???? pity :(

Some of the most interesting qualifying laps for me were in 95/96. J.V. could wait and come out near the end of qualifying and do a flying lap and smoke everyone.

JV wasn't in F1 in '95 so i'm assuming you mean '96 when over theHill was his team mate and Michael and Mika were driving dogs. Yeah, magnificent.

JV wasn't in F1 in '95 so i'm assuming you mean '96 when over theHill was his team mate and Michael and Mika were driving dogs. Yeah, magnificent.

hey do not speak ill of the Hill!!!

hey do not speak ill of the Hill!!!

Patriotism can be an unobjective foolhardy pastime.

One (or3?) of the most remarkable is Jerez 1997. Top-3 had exact same time in Q.

Far canal, how did they work out who was pole? :eusa_think:

Far canal, how did they work out who was pole? :eusa_think:

As by rules: the earlier in Qual the time is set - the better. So Top-3 grid was: JV, MS, HHF. 1997 GP Europe, Jerez.

After 13+ minutes of Qual - JV: 22.512 - 1:00.422 - 1:21.072 ...

After 18+ minutes of Qual - MS: 22.442 - 1:00.170 - 1:21.072 ...

After 52+ minutes of Qual - HHF: dunno - dunno - 1:21.072 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tawA6UNla4

Jerez 97 was a twilight zone the whole weekend, couldnt script a championship battle showdown better.

Agreed.

I'm sure that the three quali' laps were staged to try and finish poor Murray off. He was having a fit after the second, let alone the third where he became so excited only dogs could hear him.

As by rules: the earlier in Qual the time is set - the better. So Top-3 grid was: JV, MS, HHF. 1997 GP Europe, Jerez.

After 13+ minutes of Qual - JV: 22.512 - 1:00.422 - 1:21.072 ...

After 18+ minutes of Qual - MS: 22.442 - 1:00.170 - 1:21.072 ...

After 52+ minutes of Qual - HHF: dunno - dunno - 1:21.072 ...

Cheers Kup