Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

10 Most Striking Formula One Crashes Ever

I though I must post this link... Its a site that rates "10 most striking Formula One crashes ever".

As well as a write up on each incident it also contains a video.

Some of the saddest moments of the greatest sport that is formula 1 are included in here too.

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/10_m...ne_crashes_ever

By the way, what do you guys think of my new sig on Ayrton the great!

By the way, what do you guys think of my new sig on Ayrton the great!

I was excited when I read it thinking, hey, Wez finally sees how great Alain Prost is! Then you mentioned Senna........ah well, I'll just plug in 'Prost' where I see 'Senna' :P

I was excited when I read it thinking, hey, Wez finally sees how great Alain Prost is! Then you mentioned Senna........ah well, I'll just plug in 'Prost' where I see 'Senna' :P

Hey hey.. Watch it!!! :o

I don't know about "10 Most Striking F1 Crashes Ever".

Should be " 10 Most Horrific F1 Crashes Ever".

:no:

Thanks Wez.

Great post! Stirs up a bit of emotion. I remember seeing alot of those live on TV. (been watching F1 since Gilles days)

Like the sig too :thbup:

Thanks Wez.

Great post! Stirs up a bit of emotion. I remember seeing alot of those live on TV. (been watching F1 since Gilles days)

Like the sig too :thbup:

Indeed it does, I had a tear in the eye between reading some of the stories and watching the videos.

I watched a few last night. Spectacular as they are, they are quite saddening.

Hoping to watch the rest of them tonight.

---

That pile up in 98 was great though!

These videos personally make me feel ill, so I don't think it is an 'essential' watch, many do not watch these types of videos as it causes them too much distress.

These videos personally make me feel ill, so I don't think it is an 'essential' watch, many do not watch these types of videos as it causes them too much distress.

I can see your point, but to me those crashes are part of auto racing (admittedly not a part I enjoy). Because the possibility exists that a crash like those featured CAN happen, it makes the drivers more courageous for climbing into the c#ckpit every other weekend. It's true that the cars and circuits are more safe than, say, 20 years ago, but that only heightens the courage of those drivers in the bygone eras. Danger makes motorsports a true sport, not simply a game.

+1 Agreed. I just already used to plug in both (AP+AS) where i see anyone of them.

i dont know, but i find that Rindt's crash would be a far more poiniant reminder of the dangers of racing then Nick and Sato or JS fuel fire

I can see your point, but to me those crashes are part of auto racing (admittedly not a part I enjoy). Because the possibility exists that a crash like those featured CAN happen, it makes the drivers more courageous for climbing into the c#ckpit every other weekend. It's true that the cars and circuits are more safe than, say, 20 years ago, but that only heightens the courage of those drivers in the bygone eras. Danger makes motorsports a true sport, not simply a game.

Exactly, We cant ignore crashes just because they are saddening or shocking... All of these have played a part in formula 1's history (some, like Senna's crash more than others).

I'm not trying to glorify the incidents, Im just showing the sad/shocking truth of the sport and bringing to the surface the fact that it is extremely dangerous and the drivers in a certain sense of the word are all heroes.

well, f1 racing published who they thought were the 50 quickest drivers in the jan 07 issue and I think the telling thing about the sport and how dangerous it once used to be was that 5 of the top 11 died in racing accidents

well, f1 racing published who they thought were the 50 quickest drivers in the jan 07 issue and I think the telling thing about the sport and how dangerous it once used to be was that 5 of the top 11 died in racing accidents

A real shame :unsure:

I presume Senna, Villeneurve, Clark, were 3 of them?

:clap3: I like your spelling!

Why thank you ^_^ I was thinking about spelling it "Ville-nerve"

they were Senna, Clark, GV, Rindt, and Moss and that was in the top 12 sorry

Thanks for that F1 FANatic, Yeah they were all greats of the sport indeed.

martin donnelly's crash in 1990 was quite appauling, lucky guy for surviving

foto56.jpg

Damn, I didnt actually remember this when I first saw it. Horrific!!!

Here's the just of what happened, after I read some reports on it.

Martin Donnelly may well be the luckiest Formula 1 driver of all times, surviving a 270 km/h head-on crash during practice for the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez in 1990.

Donnelly's Lotus speared straight off at the fast bend before the final hairpin, striking the wall with great force. The front half of the car had totally disintegrated, and Donnelly was pitched out onto the road still attached to his seat.

He was taken to hospital seriously injured (broken legs, burst arteries, damaged organs, six-week coma) and his racing career, at least on the highest level, was over,

but he had survived a crash that normally nobody could have survived.