Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buckheadschleife

The Clean Design Of Panoz Dp01

Clean Design of Champ Cars  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Subtract roll hoop, add air box = good looking F1 car?

• Yes! The pure lines an F1 car should have!
    • Don't like it.
    • Don't like it because I know it's a Champ Car

The Champ Car teams started testing their new Panoz DP01's this week at Sebring... finally replacing the dated Lolas. These are actually ground effect cars, generating 60% of 5500 lbs. of downforce @ 200 mph via ground effect. Their reasoning was two fold: it makes the cars safer in the event of a wing failure (a la Legge at Road America), and it provides for better overtaking through less aero disturbance.

I personally like both the car and the concept. The Lolas were boxy and terribly outdated. These modern and sexy... except for that blasted roll hoop.

BTW, that is one of America's two F1 hopefuls at the controls

Damn sexy car! I could give a rats a$$ about the hoop, I can't wait to see it up close in Vegas in a little over 2 months.......

Damn sexy car! I could give a rats a$$ about the hoop, I can't wait to see it up close in Vegas in a little over 2 months.......

Hell yes.

I also like the way the car looks, but you're right... an airbox belongs up there where that hoop is.

Since the cars are turbocharged, they dont need an airbox, no?

And looking at the shut lines, they still have a bit of work to do.

Since the cars are turbocharged, they dont need an airbox, no?

That tends to be the way they do things. Turbo = some other small inlet(s) somewhere. I guess with forced induction, you just need a source of cool air and not the "ram" effect you get with the airbox. They could use the airbox as cooling, and use smaller sidepod openings, and still grab air for the engine from it, but I have a feeling the wind tunnel doesn't like that idea, hence the no airbox on turbo cars.

But if I'm going to have a hoop, that's a nice one to have. Almost like a faux airbox.

I personally like both the car and the concept. The Lolas were boxy and terribly outdated.

These modern and sexy... except for that blasted roll hoop.

BTW, that is one of America's two F1 hopefuls at the controls

+1 Agreed. The simpler - the better. All genius eurekas in z world are simple.

agreed. Looks sweet.

Just edited the picture a bit to what I think looks even better.. it isn't technically correct or anything... just made it look more F1.

I see your point, but F1 is F1 and Champ Car is Champ Car.

Each is a different series in their own right.

Fuk the airbox, they showed about 5 minutes of testing at Sebring on Speed report, the car looks just fine!!!

Fuk the airbox, they showed about 5 minutes of testing at Sebring on Speed report, the car looks just fine!!!

I saw that too. Looks great. I'll post the piccys of the car after Vegas...

I don't really remember what those old Lola's looked like but it certainly looks fairly nice.

Some nice curves but the part of the car behind the driver looks really rather big.

agreed. Looks sweet.

Just edited the picture a bit to what I think looks even better.. it isn't technically correct or anything... just made it look more F1.

nice work, i like it