Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jean Todt

Montoya Wins Daytona 24 Hours

Montoya wins Daytona 24 Hours

Sunday, 28, January, 2007, 19:51

Seven-time grand prix winner Juan Pablo Montoya carved a unique place in history on Sunday when he took victory in the famous Daytona 24 Hours sportscar race.

The former McLaren ace was invited to join Chip Ganassi's team for the all-star season opener in Florida and shared the winning Lexus-Riley car with team-mates Salvador Duran and Scott Pruett.

Montoya, who races for Ganassi's NASCAR Nextel Cup squad after walking out on F1 last June, is only the second man after Mario Andretti to have won the Indianapolis 500, a GP and the Daytona 24 Hours.

"It's a big deal for me," he said afterwards.

"The boys worked so hard for this. Me, Salvador [Duran] and Scott [Pruett] all worked hard and we kept the car on the road at all times and that was the key to victory.

"We made no mistakes and were fast when we had to be."

Montoya will begin his first full Nextel Cup campaign in the Daytona 500 on Sunday, February 10.

http://totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=191081

Well, Montoya never lost any of his skill, he just couldn't come to grips with the McLaren. It's easy to make jokes about the guy, but harder to really argue with his skill. Good job, JPM! Now go get yourself a Big Mac and a pie to celebrate!!

Well, Montoya never lost any of his skill, he just couldn't come to grips with the McLaren. It's easy to make jokes about the guy, but harder to really argue with his skill. Good job, JPM! Now go get yourself a Big Mac and a pie to celebrate!!

Many acknowledge his talents here, even many of the F1 magazine editors have claimed that it is unbelivable that he hasn't won the WDC crown. He has many fans here in India, its just that those guys are busy with the laptops and havn't joined this forum. Anyways, now that he has wasted it all by not demonstrating it consistently, there is no use of those JPM fans joining. hmm...

sure Mike,....

Im very happy for Montoya!!!

F1 Home > News Room > F1gossip > View Article

No return for JPM

Jan.29 (GMM) F1 refugee Juan Pablo Montoya recaptured the winning feeling on Sunday by racing to victory in the Daytona 24-hour race in Florida (US).

The former Williams and McLaren driver, partnered in the winning Chip Ganassi-run Lexus Prototype by Scott Pruett and Salvador Duran, starts his full time NASCAR foray in a few weeks.

But with his Daytona gong, 31-year-old Montoya joins Mario Andretti as the only other driver in the history of motor sport to have won the sports car race, formula one events, the Indianapolis 500 and America's premier open wheel title.

He turned down a Toro Rosso seat in F1 for 2007, and Montoya confirmed recently that he would not return to the Europe-based category even with a top team.

Montoya told The Times: "I ticked everything I wanted to do in F1. Yes, it would have been nice to win a championship, but it wasn't worth it in the end.

"If you want to run like you're behind the safety car, go ahead and do it, but I want to entertain myself." :clap3:

Go Monty go!

Very pleased for him, although he was one of the big favourites going in.

Hopefully a few of his critics have been silenced.

I'm very happy for him, but more for my countryman Salvador Duran, go mexico!

Lets party in spanish!

Indeed :clap3:

Well done JPM, maybe you have silenced some of your critics.

Aha. And even sounded\louded some of his fans too.

Montoya wins Daytona 24 Hours

Sunday, 28, January, 2007, 19:51

Seven-time grand prix winner Juan Pablo Montoya carved a unique place in history on Sunday when he took victory in the famous Daytona 24 Hours sportscar race.

The former McLaren ace was invited to join Chip Ganassi's team for the all-star season opener in Florida and shared the winning Lexus-Riley car with team-mates Salvador Duran and Scott Pruett.

Montoya, who races for Ganassi's NASCAR Nextel Cup squad after walking out on F1 last June, is only the second man after Mario Andretti to have won the Indianapolis 500, a GP and the Daytona 24 Hours.

"It's a big deal for me," he said afterwards.

"The boys worked so hard for this. Me, Salvador [Duran] and Scott [Pruett] all worked hard and we kept the car on the road at all times and that was the key to victory.

"We made no mistakes and were fast when we had to be."

Montoya will begin his first full Nextel Cup campaign in the Daytona 500 on Sunday, February 10.

good for them!

JPM definitely drove the wheels off that car

I posted some time ago when JPM left F1 and came to America I would be his no. 1 fan, and I have to say, he hasn't let me down.

That should read 18 February.

Yes, Montoya p3nt the DP pros.

Here he is after taking the lead late Sunday morning:

P1050342.jpg

I'm very happy for him, but more for my countryman Salvador Duran, go mexico!

Lets party in spanish!

P1040414.jpg

JPM was my 2nd fave driver after Button, I'm happy for him that he's enjoying his racing and having success too. Still saddens me though, I remember in the 2001 Brazilian GP which JPM led, Martin Brundle said he would be amazed if JPM never became a world champion (and that was only juan's 2nd or 3rd race!) after watching his car-control. Wish he never left!

Whilst we're on the subject of JPM:

Montoya: F1 has lost its fun
Wednesday, 31, January, 2007, 12:42

Juan Pablo Montoya believes racing in Formula 1 has been diluted to a point where drivers are now heavily criticised if they attempt daring overtaking manoeuvres.

The Colombian

Whilst we're on the subject of JPM:

Montoya: F1 has lost its fun

Wednesday, 31, January, 2007, 12:42

Juan Pablo Montoya believes racing in Formula 1 has been diluted to a point where drivers are now heavily criticised if they attempt daring overtaking manoeuvres.

The Colombian's turbulent F1 stay ended abruptly after crashing in to the back of McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen at the US Grand Prix last June

f1 definately isnt boring, but i agree with him that drivers constantly get criticised when they shouldnt. Take Takuma Sato for example - he was always being warned or told off for his little incidents, i think drivers should be encouraged to make daring moves, its racing after all and us fans need to be satisfied!!!

JPM was my 2nd fave driver after Button, I'm happy for him that he's enjoying his racing and having success too. Still saddens me though, I remember in the 2001 Brazilian GP which JPM led, Martin Brundle said he would be amazed if JPM never became a world champion (and that was only juan's 2nd or 3rd race!) after watching his car-control. Wish he never left!

I wonder if Martin really is amazed now. I'm glad he has left. He is now in a formula befitting of his intelligence and standard.

I think MB is rueing those words. If he remembers them. After all, didn't MB almost take the IROC crown during one of his sabbaticals? Foul play impeded title hopes. Meaning that any half decent F1 pedaller could do it.