Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taku

Williams Threatens Legal Action Over Customer Cars

I am officially a Spyker supporter now. I hope they beat those damn cheats.

Same here, count me in as a Spyker fan :)

For goodness sake why the hell are the FIA allowing this nonsense be played out, why bloody not take action now before it's too late and damages the sport.

"Hello Max anyone home"???

No didn't think so.

I just think that it goes against the spirit of the sport. I like the idea that for every team on the grid, there is a different design. It makes it more competitive and varied. Formula One is not a one make series, yet there is nothing in the rules to stop this from happening (if hypothetically an investor bought every team on the grid and ran the same 'customer' chassis).

I like the idea of a team having a 'B' team, that makes sense as a feeder for their top team. However, sharing the same design smacks of a team maximising their potential by not being inventive enough. Just my opinion.

I can't help but agree with Cav'; Spyker and Williams are the underdogs now. I would love to see Sam Michael and Mike Gascoigne take those pretenders to the cleaners.

I can see your (and Cav's) point and it makes sense to the purist in me. That being said, I don't think a customer chassis will advance the team as far as people are thinking. In my way of looking at it, the chassis is only one part of the whole team package. STR and SA are hardly in Williams' league in that regard. Sir Frank is worrying over nothing. As for Spyker, they would have more credibility with me if they put their heads down and beat the pants off STR and SA. That would impress me far more than a legal row.....

This isn't true. IP rights can be sold. We have yet to see if this is a copy or a design SA and STR have bought the rights to. My guess mirrors another poster's (forgot who) that said this year's STR and SA will be last year's RBR and Honduh (respectively) with modifications done by STR and SA, in-house. The designs for last year's cars will be sold to STR and SA. All will be legal and this issue will go away.....unless Frank can get enough people to buy into the idea that the cars are illegal....

The SA is last year's Honduh! but the STR is the Newey designed RB3 with different engine mounts for the Ferrari engine!

I like the way how this forum is getting behind Spyker and Williams. Though I suspect Williams will be strong this year, I really hope they RB and STR have their asses handed out to them. After selling sugar water for $3 a can, I am sure Red Bull can afford to develop two cars!!!! :mf_tongue:

I can see your (and Cav's) point and it makes sense to the purist in me. That being said, I don't think a customer chassis will advance the team as far as people are thinking. In my way of looking at it, the chassis is only one part of the whole team package. STR and SA are hardly in Williams' league in that regard. Sir Frank is worrying over nothing. As for Spyker, they would have more credibility with me if they put their heads down and beat the pants off STR and SA. That would impress me far more than a legal row.....

I agree, STR and SA are never going to trouble the front runners but they are going to punch above their respective weights and to me this seems wrong. Sir Frank is being branded as a worrier because it would appear that this is going to affect him more than many others when in fact it's just an issue of right and wrong.

If STR and SA weren't relying on their big brothers hand me downs Spyker probably would beat them this year.

Customer cars are not legal until 2008, and even that isn't set in stone no matter what Dave Richards says. To participate in current F1 you must construct a car of your own design. No amount of IP rights will make that go away. That being so, then even Red Bull are on dodgy ground since their car is designed and built by a separate company.

Unlike Steve, I'm not against customer cars. They have always been a part of motorsport, including F1. But they are not legal in 2007. Frank is right and Kolles is right.

For goodness sake why the hell are the FIA allowing this nonsense be played out, why bloody not take action now before it's too late and damages the sport.

"Hello Max anyone home"???

No didn't think so.

he's probably on a yacht in the carribean, oblivious to the whole situation!

I cant stand Williams. And Frank does my head right in, but he is right I guess. He will fight it, I just hope its not all over the media though.

Tough words from Berger now!!

Berger ready to fight in court

Wednesday, 07, February, 2007, 12:22

Scuderia Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger says his team is prepared to defend itself in court if rival teams contest the legality of its 2007 car.

Williams and Spyker have both signalled that they are ready to take legal action to prevent STR and Super Aguri from running customer chassis this season.

Spyker boss Colin Kolles said at Monday

Seems neither wants to back down - I am curious though, it seems the williams/spyker view is that if there is some form of compensation, they wont say anything.

I wonder if williams wants money and spyker wants the championship points?

I would guess its on the basis that only the top 10 teams get the transport paid for next season, and I would presume thats a hefty bit of cash for carrying an F1 car on a bus...

Seems neither wants to back down - I am curious though, it seems the williams/spyker view is that if there is some form of compensation, they wont say anything.

I wonder if williams wants money and spyker wants the championship points?

I would guess its on the basis that only the top 10 teams get the transport paid for next season, and I would presume thats a hefty bit of cash for carrying an F1 car on a bus...

STR & SAF1 should not be eligible for constructor

STR & SAF1 should not be eligible for constructor

Unusually I am of two minds of this discussion, I agree teams should build their own chassis, but I also then think, is it better to have 2 or 3 Minardis lapping way off the pace, or is it better to have the extra 2-3 teams lapping similar pace to the sister teams near the front?

As racing fans I would presume most of you would want the faster cars? Its a complex issue, F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motorsport, although every season it seems to be getting worse and slower - hardly a pinacle to stand on...

We live in a world of platform sharing and badge engineering. Leave it out of our sport please.

I crave individuality!!

Go Frank!

We live in a world of platform sharing and badge engineering. Leave it out of our sport please.

I crave individuality!!

Go Frank!

Agree :D

Great snowman by the way drib. Always wanted to build one of them. Will have to see snow first I guess :D

Agree :D

Great snowman by the way drib. Always wanted to build one of them. Will have to see snow first I guess :D

Is that a Snowman? I thuoght he was David Coulthard greeting Steve on his way home!

Is that a Snowman? I thuoght he was David Coulthard greeting Steve on his way home!

:lol:

Yeah maybe, he sure has the box head thing happening for him!!!

It's actually Russ. He's given up stalking Ben and has now taken to stalking Steve. Think, Steve, when you were chatting with Frosty did he smell oddly of transmission fluid?

:lol:

Yeah maybe, he sure has the box head thing happening for him!!!

:clap3:

It's actually Russ. He's given up stalking Ben and has now taken to stalking Steve. Think, Steve, when you were chatting with Frosty did he smell oddly of transmission fluid?

:roll:

I like your snowman, it's really nice. My daddy says that if i'm good i can make a DC snowman. He says that we're going to need a lot more snow though because of his big fat head.

I was just wondering while all this is going on and etc, if you design a chassis, you take into account the engine your using and etc. So techinically if STR does have 2 RBR3 chassis that are designed for Renault engines? What happens if they put in a Ferrari V8 in it? Wouldnt the cooling be different and weight distribution? So really STR with a RBR3 chassis could be a terrible idea? I can see in future races STR having alot of DNFs :eusa_think:

Also I believe customer chassis is a bad idea, I mean F1 is the pinnicle of motorsport, for drivers, mechanics and DESIGNERS, but looks like if everyones going to be having the same chassis, new design ideas and etc is just booted straight out the window, there will be no point hiring men to design chassis if your a small team? But you could say racing could be closer cos some teams may basically have the same car? <_<

I believe that with the current FIA trend in 'cost-cutting' and mandating innovation, Formula 1 is not going to be the pinnacle any longer. F1 has been at the top of the motorsports mountain, but it's descending those slopes more and more each season.

Sorry off-topic and all this will be ,but F1 is not the pinacle of motor racing anymore NASCAR is. Now before you all jump down my throat give me a second.................ok, ok, ok off of my throat I can't breathe..........With the start of the NASCAR season upon us F! only can wish that there would be as much coverage as NASCAR is getting right now here in the states..............

Sorry off-topic and all this will be ,but F1 is not the pinacle of motor racing anymore NASCAR is. Now before you all jump down my throat give me a second.................ok, ok, ok off of my throat I can't breathe..........With the start of the NASCAR season upon us F! only can wish that there would be as much coverage as NASCAR is getting right now here in the states..............

Wow...this is going to get tough! I don't wanna watch when the replies start coming! -_-

Good luck PD, you are gonna need it! :lol:

Wow...this is going to get tough! I don't wanna watch when the replies start coming! -_-

Good luck PD, you are gonna need it! :lol:

Why? I'm only stating the obvious, does F1 have it's own 24-7 radio channel? no, does F1 have a channel that devotes many hours a day and a daily show on it?