Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taku

Williams Threatens Legal Action Over Customer Cars

from grandprix.com:

NASCAR invading F1 space

The Formula One does not have the same imagination as those creative souls in NASCAR. The US stock car series may not have any races outside North America but they recognise an opportunity when it comes along and has offered members of the Royal Shakespeare Company the opportunity to experience the thrill of Nextel Cup racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte.

The RSC is touring in the US and is performing at the nearby Davidson College and the theatrical luvvies are being given the chance to experience the thrill of the Richard Petty Driving Experience at speeds up to 150 mph. About sixty-five actors, educators and technicians are scheduled to drive and ride around the 1.5-mile superspeedway.

Given that the RSC is based in Stratford-upon-Avon, not far from Silverstone, one has to ask - once again - whether F1 is ever going to get around the doing anything to promote the sport or whether, before too long, NASCAR will have signage on the roads leading to F1 races around the world.

You have a point, Bruce. Doesn't the NASCAR marketing machine make about a billion or so each year?

F1 could learn a thing or two, mainly about fan integration to the sport.

You heard me yesterday in the pits, where else but in American motorsport can you get that up close?

Why? I'm only stating the obvious, does F1 have it's own 24-7 radio channel? no, does F1 have a channel that devotes many hours a day and a daily show on it?

Well, I must warn you. Outside US, Nascar is just something they use to fill in spaces between soccer programs and F1 programs on TV! I think more people watches the Texas Hold'Em tournaments here over ESPN than NASCAR races.(Go Moneymaker!) :smoke:

F1 could learn a thing or two, mainly about fan integration to the sport.

You heard me yesterday in the pits, where else but in American motorsport can you get that up close?

Well, I haven't watched Nascar, but I believe you Bruce, in fact F1 could learn from quite a few other sports. The thing is, though, even if it had the marketing power of Nascar, it would have to have more than a couple of exciting races in a season to keep newer viewers enthralled, I think.

I believe that with the current FIA trend in 'cost-cutting' and mandating innovation, Formula 1 is not going to be the pinnacle any longer. F1 has been at the top of the motorsports mountain, but it's descending those slopes more and more each season.

That isn't an argument for customer chassis. All that's happening is that teams are being constrained by rules. As the pinnacle of the sport they should still try and maximise their potential within those rules.

Nascar marketing is mostly junk. Fix the cars to give us some real racing and F1 in HD, the rest can take care of itself.

NASCAR doesn't become the pinnacle of motor racing by gonig all out to win all kinds of fans.

I'd sooner watch BTCC, ETCC, DTM, or Aussie V8s before I'd look at NASCAR. Ah, forgot ALMS and FIA GT. And WRC.

That isn't an argument for customer chassis. All that's happening is that teams are being constrained by rules. As the pinnacle of the sport they should still try and maximise their potential within those rules.

No, it isn't an argument for or against customer chassis, I was just making a point about innovation being a key to F1 maintaining it's position as the 'pinnacle'. You can still have innovation with customer chassis, though; Penske did it quite well in CART years ago, to good effect.

I think Bruce's comment about NASCAR becoming the 'pinnacle' is more of a perception vs reality thing. NASCAR tends to bring in droves of fans by thier marketing, openess and appeal to the common person. In reality, their technology is far behind F1 and the prevailing wisdom is that the driving talent isn't a good as F1*. But do those two points really matter if the majority of people come to like NASCAR over F1? The perception will be in favor of NASCAR, even if the reality is not.

*One could argue that NASCAR is harder than it would appear, based on JPM's attempts at it. Despite this forum's opinions on JPM, he remains a ballsy overtaker and multiple F1 race winner. He also, at one point, was in contention to be WDC. Even with all these credentials, he has yet to break into the top ten in NASCAR. That speaks more against the state of F1 than it does against NASCAR; indeed it raises the stock, and credibility, of NASCAR.

I'd sooner watch BTCC, ETCC, DTM, or Aussie V8s before I'd look at NASCAR. Ah, forgot ALMS and FIA GT. And WRC.

I havent completely decided if you insulted the V8 Supercars or not but if you were then prepare to do battle as it is easily the best touring car series in the entire world.

Cream always rises to the top. Alain Prost has just won the Andros trophy, which I'd rate as harder than NASCAR just by looking at the footage. As for JPM, I'm not surprised to find good drivers in NASCAR, I'm just surprised as to why they're there. It's got to be the cash.

I havent completely decided if you insulted the V8 Supercars or not but if you were then prepare to do battle as it is easily the best touring car series in the entire world.

No insult there. Just a list of things that I think are better than NASCAR. And not in any particular order.

Sorry off-topic and all this will be ,but F1 is not the pinacle of motor racing anymore NASCAR is. Now before you all jump down my throat give me a second.................ok, ok, ok off of my throat I can't breathe..........With the start of the NASCAR season upon us F! only can wish that there would be as much coverage as NASCAR is getting right now here in the states..............

Pamela Andersons Boobs get more attention than NASCAR in the US, Does that make her rack the pinnacle of motorsports? Come out of your cave and see the rest of the world!

In reality, their technology is far behind F1

I also have it on good authority that NASCAR technology is quite abit less advanced than V8 Supercars and especially DTM which is arguably the most technologically advanced touring car series in the world.

I also have it on good authority that NASCAR technology is quite abit less advanced than V8 Supercars and especially DTM which is arguably the most technologically advanced touring car series in the world.

Yeah, they're pretty stone age in NASCAR, but I like to watch them anyhow......

....btw, a friend just sent me the whole season of '06 V8's on DVD and I am happily devouring it. Damn I'm hooked...I'll start a thread shortly.

....btw, a friend just sent me the whole season of '06 V8's on DVD and I am happily devouring it. Damn I'm hooked...I'll start a thread shortly.

I hope you enjoy it :D

I'll start a thread shortly.

I look foward to hearing your thoughts

I am already enjoying it (I'm on Pukekohe race 1). This is what NASCAR should have been.

Ah, New Zealand.

Did you like the accident at adelaide when one of the drivers passed out while on track on sort of coasted into a wall?

*One could argue that NASCAR is harder than it would appear, based on JPM's attempts at it. Despite this forum's opinions on JPM, he remains a ballsy overtaker and multiple F1 race winner. He also, at one point, was in contention to be WDC. Even with all these credentials, he has yet to break into the top ten in NASCAR. That speaks more against the state of F1 than it does against NASCAR; indeed it raises the stock, and credibility, of NASCAR.

Agreed.

Thought it funny to here this week that Michael Schumacher has had an open invitation to try NASCAR. A bit like Picasso being offered crayons.

Agreed.

Thought it funny to here this week that Michael Schumacher has had an open invitation to try NASCAR. A bit like Picasso being offered crayons.

I am sure Picasso was wonderful with the crayons, which is why Schumacher wants to race go-karts if he ever races again. He even tested a Tony Kart a couple weeks ago!

I am sure Picasso was wonderful with the crayons, which is why Schumacher wants to race go-karts if he ever races again. He even tested a Tony Kart a couple weeks ago!

Okay, so my analogy didn't work. The crayons were supposed to imply crudeness, not purity or simplicity.

Okay, so my analogy didn't work. The crayons were supposed to imply crudeness, not purity or simplicity.

Oh you don't need to an analogy for that, just say NASCAR and people will know you mean crude!

I am sure Picasso was wonderful with NASCAR, which is why Schumacher wants to race go-karts if he ever races again. He even tested a Tony Kart a couple weeks ago!

:eusa_think: