Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIDEPOD

Villeneuve Happy With First 908 Test - Friday, February 2nd 2007, 11:20 Gmt

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=191911

Jacques Villeneuve has said that he didn't expect the Peugeot 908 to perform as well as it did during his first test with the car.

The Canadian completed his first laps behind the wheel at Paul Ricard on Thursday, and Villeneuve was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the diesel-powered car, which he will race at Le Mans later this year.

"This is a true racing machine," Villeneuve was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "I didn't expect that from a diesel.

"It accelerates quickly, it runs in curves at high speed, and it brakes in an impressive way."

Many of Villeneuve's observations were similar to those of the Audi drivers when they first sampled the diesel-powered R10 last year.

"I've discovered it's a real racing engine with lots of power at its disposal," he added. "What struck me most is the absence of noise in the c#ckpit when you're standing still."

Villeneuve is expected to continue testing at the French circuit until Monday.

======================================================================

Peugeot initiated Villeneuve talks

By Glenn Freeman Wednesday, January 10th 2007, 12:33 GMT

Peugeot's team manager Serge Saulnier has said that he initiated the manufacturer's contact with Jacques Villeneuve.

The 1997 Formula One world champion was confirmed as part of Peugeot's driver line-up for the Le Mans 24 Hours on Wednesday morning, and Saulnier said that he was aware the Canadian wanted to win the race in his career.

"Jacques is someone who has won in every competition he has undertaken," said Saulnier. "I'm thinking in particular of the Indianapolis 500 and the Formula One world championship.

"I like his sporting spirit and I knew that he'd dreamed of taking part at Le Mans. When I contacted him, he convinced me that he could be the first driver to win the Formula One world championship, Champ Car title, Indianapolis 500, and Le Mans 24 Hours."

Saulnier added that Peugeot did not make their driver decisions based on profile, and he said that they had specific qualities that they were looking for.

"We were looking for drivers that have speed, of course, but also consistency," he said.

"We need drivers that know how to get the best from the vehicle in all conditions, especially changes in the track, while being able to master traffic, and someone who is in excellent physical condition.

"I initially looked at those from Formula One or the young ex-F1 drivers, and there are not that many of them who have these qualities."

Saulnier added that Peugeot were contacted by several drivers who compete in the GP Masters series, and expressed his surprise at the lack of interest from younger drivers.

While Peugeot were never going to have an entirely French team, Saulnier had first looked at trying to sign a German and a British driver.

"It's obvious that a manufacturer such as Peugeot cannot have a wholly French team in such a large scale programme," he said.

"Nevertheless I had no particular guidelines. To start with I set my sights on a German and English driver, but a lot of them were signed up to drive in Formula One."