Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Pick Your F1 Track

Those things are interesting but would never work since a corner's characterisitcs are actualy definded by what leads to it and the car being driven more then the actual corner.

As long as the thing that makes the corner special (ie the considerable speed dictated by the preceeding straight for 130R and Eau Rouge) is retained, it could work. In fact, having the old Hockenheim straight before Eau Rouge could make it a real challenge again!

I realise of course ultimately it's an unrealistic proposition but interesting nonetheless.

This would be my choice. It is in Canberra near the centre of the city. Its abit like Monaco but has more overtaking opportunities and is a very challenging race track with many tight bends. Here is a map of the track.

Gorgeous track ykick - almost identical to Monaco in its elements (less a Lowes hairpin of course), particularly the section between your turns 1 - 9 (almost identical to Monaco from the exit of the tunnel to Rascasse...).

BTW Rumblestrip - Sears Point is now called Infineon Raceway....... another example of corporate America taking over absolutely everything. But I absolutely love Elkhart Lake - without question one of the best tracks in the world, along with Laguna Seca it must be added. Here's a bit of trivia for you..... do you know why it's called "Canada Corner"?

As for true Canadian tracks, we don't have a lot. But we do have Mosport Park, which is a classic venue. I've included a track map for those of you who aren't familiar with it.

But don't let its deceptively simple outline fool you - it's combination of off-camber blind corners and tremendous elevation changes make for a very challenging track - not to mentoin an extremely fast one. Prior to the construction of the Circuit Ile Notre-Dame (as it was then known), Mosport hosted the Canadian Grand Prix from 1967 to 1977 (with the exceptions of '68 and '70 when it was held at Mont Tremblant).

One other interesting bit of trivia - 1978 was the first year that the Cdn Grand Prix was held at Circuit Ile Notre-Dame - and that inaugral race was won by none other than the man for whom it was posthumously renamed. It remains the first and only time a Canadian has ever won the Canadian Grand Prix, and is likely to remain so for quite some time, as there are few prospects of another Cdn driver in F1 for some time to come.

Gorgeous track ykick - almost identical to Monaco in its elements (less a Lowes hairpin of course), particularly the section between your turns 1 - 9 (almost identical to Monaco from the exit of the tunnel to Rascasse...).

It was a great race for the spectators and as i said if the organisers dont like a certain section of the circuit it can be changed as there are plenty of variations which can be tried due to the amount of roads in the area. Also another good thing about holding the GP in in Canberra is that its right in the middle of Sydney and Melbourne so people from both cities can travel to Canberra without to much hassel. I dont know why but i love the feel of street races like Monaco, Adelaide and Canberra. Their is also been aot of talk over the past few years of making a road course at Homebush in Sydney and for anyone who doesnt know what Homebush is it is the area where the Olympic Stadium was built as well as the location of the Olympic village. I would love to see a track there as i think if done well it would be very entertaining.

Edit: Ive just found a picture of the pproposed track layyout. To me it certainly looks like a track that has plenty of overtaking and would favour teams which have high top speeds. Im not certain i like the layout but it is certainly interesting.

107406_4mg.jpg

i'm happy with silverstone. For the racing, its good in my opinion (remember the 2003 race), and if Brands hosted a GP there could be major accidents and injuries. Donington is just good for BTCC and superbikes. And silverstone gets so much bad press for its facilities, but when you go as a fan, the atmosphere is amazing and theres so much to see and do

How about this, there's too many twisty bends on the inside, going around the old parliament house will make it more flowy...

That does look quite nice. I would love to see this as a F1 track but i dont think it will happen. On another note i have reason to believe that the South Australian government are trying to get the Australian GP back to Adelaide as they have just given the track a major upgrade and which is odd considering that the only race held their each year is the 1st race of the V8 Supercars season. The only way the SA government could get their money back any time soon is by getting more events. I must say given the choice between Adelaide and Melbourne i would choose Adelaide every time.

Basically Sillyverstone has been ruined from Bridge to Copse.

Which photoshoppy graphics thingy wizard here is going to design a track with all the best corners in? We should include Maggots, Laguna Seca's corkscrew, 130R, Turkey's turn 8, Eau Rouge and the old Hockenheim straight, for starters.

F1 Racing magazine did that a few years back, would have cost about half billion to build just the track.

As for true Canadian tracks, we don't have a lot. But we do have Mosport Park, which is a classic venue. I've included a track map for those of you who aren't familiar with it.

I've raced that in a few video sims (I know, a lame experience compared to actually racing there)....and it's an excellent track. As you say, it's very challenging, and rewarding when you get it right.

F1 Racing magazine did that a few years back, would have cost about half billion to build just the track.

Money well spent i say!

Haha, indeed.

I'd go with Gold Coast Indy for the Australian GP, love that track.

Hmm, but for The British GP, I don't know, I am a bit bored of Silverstone but can't think of anything too great.

Maybe something like Croft or Oulton Park?