Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Andretti: The Verdict

itv-F1.com:

American rising star Marco Andretti has pinpointed his one-lap pace as an area to work on in the future after completing a successful second Formula 1 test with Honda at Jerez.

The 19-year-old IndyCar driver was in action for two days in the Brackley-based squad

itv-F1.com:

American rising star Marco Andretti has pinpointed his one-lap pace as an area to work on in the future after completing a successful second Formula 1 test with Honda at Jerez.

The 19-year-old IndyCar driver was in action for two days in the Brackley-based squad's RA106 this week, after impressing the team on his one-day outing before Christmas.

Andretti completed 74 laps on Wednesday, lapping within 1.4s of Jenson Button, before driving an F1 car for the first time in the rain on the final day and clocking up another 63 laps.

He says he was pleased to get the chance to run in the wet, and although happy with his performance on long runs during the test, feels his ultimate pace would improve with more F1 experience.

"It's been awesome to have the chance to get back in an F1 car this week and I would really like to thank the Honda team for giving me this second opportunity," he said.

"I have really enjoyed my two days here, and by the end of the second day with the wet conditions, I feel that I've really adapted to the way that the car has to be driven.

"So the weather was actually quite useful for me and I've now experienced a little bit of everything in only three days.

"I was happy with my long-run pace over the test but the one-lap times are something that I am sure would come with further time in the car."

Honda engineering director Jacky Eeckelaert was also impressed by Andretti's pace over the long runs and was full of praise for the young American's overall performance in the varying track conditions.

"It has been a pleasure to have Marco Andretti with us this week and to give him a further opportunity in the 2006 car," he said.

"Once again Marco has shown a high level of ability, given his relative inexperience, and his long-run pace in particular was quite impressive.

"With the poor weather conditions today, Marco drove for the first time in the wet and adapted very well to the difficult track conditions without making any mistakes.

With more time and more laps under his belt, he could very well be faster than the over rated button who could only muster 1.4 seconds faster in the same conditions.Go Marco

Yeah, I was impressed by his clean running, too. I'd boot Speed in a second to give Marco a shot, though he'd probably do better to have a year in GP2...

Yeah, I was impressed by his clean running, too. I'd boot Speed in a second to give Marco a shot, though he'd probably do better to have a year in GP2...

I agree. Speed's too high on himself. Yes it would probably a great way to gain experience, but testing could do that as well under truer conditions.

I thought Marco did a fantastic job.

Honda maybe thinking along the lines of RB to retire AD to slot into RB seat at Honda and Marco to slot in at the vacant seat at SAF1.

Maybe just maybe....... :eusa_think:

What do you guys think????

when is the news about the drivers of STR coming out?

When Berger thinks it's time to put SS & VL out of their misery and give them the race seats again.

I think Berger is playing this one out a little too long.

Are you suggesting that Marco could be in with a chance at a seat with STR???

Just that your post was out of the blue in the Marco thread thats all.......

I thought Marco did a fantastic job.

Honda maybe thinking along the lines of RB to retire AD to slot into RB seat at Honda and Marco to slot in at the vacant seat at SAF1.

Maybe just maybe....... :eusa_think:

What do you guys think????

I like it!

When Berger thinks it's time to put SS & VL out of their misery and give them the race seats again.

I think Berger is playing this one out a little too long.

Are you suggesting that Marco could be in with a chance at a seat with STR???

Just that your post was out of the blue in the Marco thread thats all.......

That's how I read it too.....could be interesting, but I think Berger is trying for at least one driver and has yet to have that driver say 'no'.

With more time and more laps under his belt, he could very well be faster than the over rated button who could only muster 1.4 seconds faster in the same conditions.Go Marco

:nono1: marco andretti better than Jenson Button, race winner and veteran of 7 seasons? after 'more laps under his belt'? be realistic. Better than sakon yamamoto maybe

Go Marco! blast that overated Button man out of the weeds...............

Yep your right. Andretti is a better driver.

:clap3::clap3::thbup:

Well it would be rather hard to be worse than Scott Speed.

..or Ide...............

..or Ide...............

See? you guys getting along again! :D

And I don't know if Marco is going to be better than JB, but I do have lots of faith in him.

See? you guys getting along again! :D

And I don't know if Marco is going to be better than JB, but I do have lots of faith in him.

I was going to say NK, but why rub it in :naughty:

Well it would be rather hard to be worse than Scott Speed.

Scott isn't bad, he's just not dynamic. Marco has proper fire in his belly.

:nono1: marco andretti better than Jenson Button, race winner and veteran of 7 seasons? after 'more laps under his belt'? be realistic. Better than sakon yamamoto maybe

I believe you mean a 1 race winner and veteran of seven seasons don't you? I'm only being realistic. Button should take a pay cut until he proves he's worth his ride.

Scott isn't bad, he's just not dynamic. Marco has proper fire in his belly.

It is gutwrenching to watch him in F1 just because he is so damned vanilla! He just doesn't seem like a true "racer,"as they would pen in in NASCAR - "fire in his belly" kind of stuff.... except for the overcoming of the eternal runs or whatever his disease is... that's pretty impressive.

Sucks that he is also going to test out a NASCAR car also. Read Miller's latest rant on Speedtv.com about the monetary discrepancies between all the American series. Just a taste if you haven't read it yet:

J. Johnson's winnings from last year's daytona 500: $1.5 million

S. Bourdais winnings from 7 Champcar wins & his 3rd title: $1.3 million

Satisfaction that you can competently turn a racecar left AND right: priceless

I believe you mean a 1 race winner and veteran of seven seasons don't you? I'm only being realistic. Button should take a pay cut until he proves he's worth his ride.

being realistic? saying a 19-yr old with 2 test sessions, needs a few more laps and will be a better F1 driver than Jenson Button? thats about as realistic as saying Britney Spears is in contention for this year's celebrity mother of the year award.

so do you think marco andretti, after a few laps, could jump into f1 and probably be better than DC, Heidfeld, Ralf, Trulli, and many more? you must have a strange way of judging talent

being realistic? saying a 19-yr old with 2 test sessions, needs a few more laps and will be a better F1 driver than Jenson Button? thats about as realistic as saying Britney Spears is in contention for this year's celebrity mother of the year award.

so do you think marco andretti, after a few laps, could jump into f1 and probably be better than DC, Heidfeld, Ralf, Trulli, and many more? you must have a strange way of judging talent

No, what I said was with more time under his belt in an f1 car he could prove to be a better prospect than Button. In his last test, as a 19 year old, and just his second test in a f1 car he was only 1.4 seconds behind Button under the same driving conditions. In respect to DC, Heidfeld, Trulli(humm),and many more I think Button is over rated. Come on, 1 win in 7 seasons, 126 races! Does a single win determine talent in your eyes? I would think consistency would determine that. I believe you're the one who may have difficulty judging talent, and by the way, I never said he was a bad driver.I said he was an over rated driver.

It's been penned about many disciplines, not just NASCAR.....

...like pie-eating contests, for example.