Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Ms Offered A Nascar Test

itv-f1.com:

Michael Schumacher has been offered the chance to test a NASCAR after saying he could not see what attracted former rival Juan Pablo Montoya to the American series.

The retired legend admitted he was bewildered by the appeal of America

Mike your ignorance is showing................

I hope MS takes up the challenge and does test a NASCAR. He will have a greater understanding of the sport that he was all to willing to bag when JPM announced to the world that he had signed a contract to drive in the NASCAR series.

Be a man, and take up the opportunity that has presented itself Michael. No one will look down on you for accepting that you might have been wrong with your immediate assumptions of NASCAR.

I'm not surprised. In what way, though?

You like many others look down your nose at NASCAR thinking it's all a bunch of shade tree mechanics and good ole boys that race and the tech end of it is somewhere around Henry Fords time.................

You like many others look down your nose at NASCAR thinking it's all a bunch of shade tree mechanics and good ole boys that race and the tech end of it is somewhere around Henry Fords time.................

Wrongo-bongo my friend. I watch NASCAR and enjoy it, but I also recognize that on the technical side, F1 has it beat in every way. That's what I was saying above (though I did use an extreme comparison). Everham said Michael Schumacher would find NASCAR 'technical enough to keep him happy'.....I doubt that, considering Mikey has been used to F1 for so long. But who knows, after Mikey samples the pushrod V8 thrum instead of the high-pitched whine of an F1 car, the petrol-head in him might be intrigued.

Sorry if I made it seem like I was abusing NASCAR, but c'mon Bruce, you know they stopped the cutting edge technical stuff years ago (They're running a fixed axle, carbuerated, pushrod V8...not exactly cutting edge). It's got enough tech to be current, but not as much as almost any series you could name. It doesn't affect the racing and I think I've stated that the drivers are a good deal better than most people in Europe would think. You would be wrong to lump me into the vast majority of people here in regards to NASCAR or any other series...I like 'em all.

It would make me sick to the stomach if I see Schumy hop into one of those moonshine smuggling redneck rides.

Howbout some electronic fuel injection for starters... since we're getting technical and everything. Also, do aerodynamics even matter in Nascar? Cars get smashed up: the pitcrew pull off the damaged part and the cars back on its way. On the other hand, any little damage to an F1 car throws off the aerodynamics big time and the lap times indicate that immediately. The disparity is enormous.

If Schumacher acceps the offer, it will be even more publicity for Nascar. So he won't do it.

The point is NASCAR is trying to take a little more space from F1, this is purely down to they way it is marketed. For any die hard NASCAR fan, such an invitation will only make him more devout NASCAR fan.

if F1 needs to maintain its supremacy in motor sports, then it must not just be technical supremacy but also in wooing the fans, we need to take the sport to the mases. A simple example is we have never got to see any live coverage of the F1 tests, forget live coverage, atleast live timing??? I feel this is just complacency.

That's kind of funny because I posed the same question to my friends as we were strolling down the garages at Daytona. They didn't think there is enough money in the world to get him to show up, even for the Rolex 24.

It would make me sick to the stomach if I see Schumy hop into one of those moonshine smuggling redneck rides.

Howbout some electronic fuel injection for starters... since we're getting technical and everything. Also, do aerodynamics even matter in Nascar? Cars get smashed up: the pitcrew pull off the damaged part and the cars back on its way. On the other hand, any little damage to an F1 car throws off the aerodynamics big time and the lap times indicate that immediately. The disparity is enormous.

If Schumacher acceps the offer, it will be even more publicity for Nascar. So he won't do it.

Wow. Hey, your ignorance is showing.

NASCAR is almost a spec-series. The cars run on carburetors because electronic ingnition and engine controls are almost impossible to regulate. Aero isn't as significant to the cars on the short tracks, but you bet your bottom dollar aero matters on the superspeedways. The cars rely on mechanical grip, and after next year will be even more so. The tech that goes into the cars is incredibly advanced, you just can't see it. There are very few places the builders can innovate, and almost all of them are under the hood or chassis. The drivetrains last twice as long and are twice as strong, they have to be because the stresses are double what are those found in F1 powerplants.

NASCAR isn't as bad as you paint it (I'm regretting my pedal-car anal-ogy already...). The engines put out almost as much hp as an F1 engine, with less revs and 30-year-old technology. That's not too shabby. Ahhhh, nevermind....I'll never convince anyone in Europe that there's any worth in NASCAR....

The point is NASCAR is trying to take a little more space from F1, this is purely down to they way it is marketed. For any die hard NASCAR fan, such an invitation will only make him more devout NASCAR fan.

if F1 needs to maintain its supremacy in motor sports, then it must not just be technical supremacy but also in wooing the fans, we need to take the sport to the mases. A simple example is we have never got to see any live coverage of the F1 tests, forget live coverage, atleast live timing??? I feel this is just complacency.

Fine points.

Didn't remember MS making those comments.

Ahh, he's not one to go back on his words, and I think he cares a little too much about F1...

Plus imo, he'd be stepping down a level and if he doesn't do so well, it could spoil his image a bit.

:lol: And I'll offer him a job driving my grandmother around town.

NASCRAP managd to get two pathetic F1 discards who managed to burn every single bridge in F1, and came for some cash and cheap thrills. They aer getting way above themselves, they'd be better off poaching the A1GP grid.

NASCAR isn't as bad as you paint it (I'm regretting my pedal-car anal-ogy already...). The engines put out almost as much hp as an F1 engine, with less revs and 30-year-old technology. That's not too shabby. Ahhhh, nevermind....I'll never convince anyone in Europe that there's any worth in NASCAR....

A lot of people in North America also think that Nascar isn't worth a glance and I'm one of those but that daytona finish was awesome. 0.2 sec. between the first 2 cars and a guy to cross the finish line on his roof and on fire... there's definitely something to be said about that!

schmucker may have gotten away with his driving ethics in f1, but he may be just a schumk in nascar. Nascar drivers would use every opprotunity to use their agressive driving skills they posess to schmuk the schmucker. Good riddens schmucker! Oh, and by the way, there were only 3 truly good drivers that were able to take the title away from the chin. JV, Hakkinen, and Alonso.

:lol: And I'll offer him a job driving my grandmother around town.

NASCRAP managd to get two pathetic F1 discards who managed to burn every single bridge in F1, and came for some cash and cheap thrills. They aer getting way above themselves, they'd be better off poaching the A1GP grid.

Cav...

Stop beating around the Busch... and tell us how you really feel about NASCAR ... :lol:

Personally I am a racing fan... not just F1....

The only racing I had a hard time watching... but I watched it for the pure entertainment value, was the swampbuggy racing out of Florida.... very strange but entertaining all the same :P

Cav...

Stop beating around the Busch... and tell us how you really feel about NASCAR ... :lol:

Personally I am a racing fan... not just F1....

The only racing I had a hard time watching... but I watched it for the pure entertainment value, was the swampbuggy racing out of Florida.... very strange but entertaining all the same :P

Man I used to love watching the swampbuggy races................

schmucker may have gotten away with his driving ethics in f1, but he may be just a schumk in nascar. Nascar drivers would use every opprotunity to use their agressive driving skills they posess to schmuk the schmucker. Good riddens schmucker! Oh, and by the way, there were only 3 truly good drivers that were able to take the title away from the chin. JV, Hakkinen, and Alonso.

WOW, JV close to MS's level, the only person on that list is Mika and first you scoff at aggressive driving in F1 and then you advertise it in NASCAR, your even more Hypocritical then those who say Senna never ran into Prost in 1990

anyway more towards the point,

1) MS has no need to show his superiority, by wining even one WDC you are automatically better then someone who wins a thousand NASCAR titles, even JV is better then the entire field of NASCAR drivers combined.

2) Why would you trade 6000 RPM at idle for 8000 RPM full throttle?

3) Sure a NASCAR Car gets about the same HP as a formula one car but with an engine 2.41 times as large

ant one last thing, NASCAR developed from moonshiners running along twisty roads, how did it become turning left?

Plus imo, he'd be stepping down a level and if he doesn't do so well, it could spoil his image a bit.
A lot of people in North America also think that Nascar isn't worth a glance and I'm one of those but that daytona finish was awesome. 0.2 sec. between the first 2 cars and a guy to cross the finish line on his roof and on fire... there's definitely something to be said about that!

Not true. Jeff Gordon swapped 'paint' with Montoya and was amazingly fast in the Williams F1 car. So much so that he generated offers from at least two F1 teams. Also, look at JPM. He was an F1 title-contender a few years back, won more races than a few respected F1 drivers, went wheel-to-wheel with Kimi, MS and a few other notables, and STILL could not get into the top 10 in a NASCAR race.

NASCAR isn't a step down. To be a step down you have to be the same sort of racing. ChampCar, GP2, Formula Renault, etc are a step down from F1. NASCAR is not even in the same sphere as open-wheel road racing. It isn't above or below, but sideways. Think on that a bit before trashing NASCAR. It's easy to look down your nose at something without good reason...and harder to look at the reality. I hope you people start taking the harder road in regards to NASCAR ^_^

Not true. Jeff Gordon swapped 'paint' with Montoya and was amazingly fast in the Williams F1 car. So much so that he generated offers from at least two F1 teams. Also, look at JPM. He was an F1 title-contender a few years back, won more races than a few respected F1 drivers, went wheel-to-wheel with Kimi, MS and a few other notables, and STILL could not get into the top 10 in a NASCAR race.

NASCAR isn't a step down. To be a step down you have to be the same sort of racing. ChampCar, GP2, Formula Renault, etc are a step down from F1. NASCAR is not even in the same sphere as open-wheel road racing. It isn't above or below, but sideways. Think on that a bit before trashing NASCAR. It's easy to look down your nose at something without good reason...and harder to look at the reality. I hope you people start taking the harder road in regards to NASCAR ^_^

Agreed Mike well said......