Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MasterPlans

Women In F1

Role of women in Formula One  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the role of Women in Formula One

• Just to add glamour in the paddock
    • Should be allowed to race in Formula One
    • Just start some thing as Formula Women

Well if I remember correctly, we did have a woman in F1 just recently - I think her name was Juan Pablo Montoya. Biggest blouse to ever race a car.

Actually - that's an insult to women - apologies....

*sigh* It's sad but true what they say, MasterPlans. Give a woman an inch and she'll take the proverbial mile. We unchain you all from the kitchen sink and now you girls think you can race in F1! Lord have mercy on us - next you'll all want to drive on real roads too!

:lol:Interesting views girls. You demonstrate just why women will never get to the top in most disciplines - no arrogance, no competitive/obsessive streak. ;)

Physically, women are quite possibly capable of competing in F1. Male F1 drivers are in the main much fitter than you need to be to drive a race distance and they themsleves are nowhere near the limit of male fitness. OK, people like Schumi, Webbo and DC in their primes probably had greater strength and stamina than most women can attain and they can derive a small advantage from that. However women are said to retain water and fat better than men so you may be able to withstand the dehydration and heat better than us. Also you may cope with g-forces better (perhaps due to your smaller size, I'm not sure) and you have faster reactions (smaller body again). Finally men and women are better coordinated for different tasks: men are better at violent, large-scale movements, women are better at small-scale, delicate movement. It's not clear to me which is more relevant in F1. Therefore in terms of average abilities I see no reason why women couldn't possibly compete based on current knowledge, although there may turn out to be good reasons. You also have to consider variation about the average, and men are normally more varied in ability than women, which clearly would count againt women in F1, if that applies to the relevant abilities for F1, which is not at all clear either.

Why do you say women aren't as strong mentally Irish? That interests me again. (And why don't you want women in F1?) I'm not so sure, although I do think it is mentally where women will struggle in F1. Women on average aren't as competitive or obsessive as men. You are more likely to settle and play things safe and you tend to prefer a balanced lifestyle. That's my opinion anyway but I think there's lots of evidence to back it up. Clearly all of those things will make it very hard for women to match men in F1 and indeed at the elite end of most other professions. Having said that there will always be exceptions like Margaret Thatcher or perhaps the Williams sisters in Tennis. But I don't think we'll see many women succeed in F1 for a long time to come, or at the top of politics or business or many branches of academia for that matter. I should add that in all those disciplines there is an element of discrimination too. As far as F1 goes, racing cars is still regarded as a "masculine" activity and not something many young girls aspire to, which is perhaps the single most important reason why few women do well.

Well. If I may..

I am one of the most competitive people I know. Just ask the group of firemen who's arse I kicked on a kart track when I was 9 years old. And him indoors. About 2 years ago ;) And as for obsessive, well, the less said about that the better. :lol:

I admire you. Not many people have the capability to make me change my mind about something. I view different opinions, yes. But you have sold me yours. When I look back, I was the only girl to make it in my school's football team, and ended up playing centre midfield, going on to score roughly about 20 goals! I swam for the county, and was ranked second, so you have a very valid point, and one to which I said before will change my mind for. I wasn't saying I was wrong, but now I'm inclined to say I agree, MW. Good post. :thbup:

As for that inch, the less said about that too, the better. ;);):lol:

Well. If I may..

I am one of the most competitive people I know. Just ask the group of firemen who's arse I kicked on a kart track when I was 9 years old. And him indoors. About 2 years ago ;) And as for obsessive, well, the less said about that the better. :lol:

I admire you. Not many people have the capability to make me change my mind about something. I view different opinions, yes. But you have sold me yours. When I look back, I was the only girl to make it in my school's football team, and ended up playing centre midfield, going on to score roughly about 20 goals! I swam for the county, and was ranked second, so you have a very valid point, and one to which I said before will change my mind for. I wasn't saying I was wrong, but now I'm inclined to say I agree, MW. Good post. :thbup:

As for that inch, the less said about that too, the better. ;) ;) :lol:

I have always had a great deal of respect for you too, Steph. ;) Remind me never to race you on a kart track, or in a swimming pool, or anywhere else for that matter! :lol: I don't think my ego could take the inevitable beating.

There are always going to be very competitive/arrogant/obsessive women who can compete with the corresponding men, I just think there won't be as many such women as men. I think it's due to biological differences (levels of testosterone for example) and also social forces affecting men and women differently. The more aware of these forces and differences we all are, the more we can "overcome" them and decide, as individuals, what we all really want in life.

Men should think twice before crowing about the dominance of men at the top of most disciplines, too. Personally I think women may have the better perspective on what is really important in life. After all, the number of men who neglect their families because they think they can only find fulfillment by becoming boss of some huge company or a famous politician is a disgrace. It hurts children, women and the men themselves. And that's assuming the man is successful, which is not always the case: for every Schumi there must be thousands of guys who gave up much of their childhood for a dream of being WDC. Maybe modern women who want a career, but only as part of a balanced life with friends, family and hobbies, have it right?

I see that as prespoterous as having women in the FIFA world cup, or the cricket world cup teams. Keep them out, let them have their own league / Grands Prix. They don't stand a chance racing against the guys. And I am NOT being chauvinistic. That's the way things are.

I AGREE!!

Why thank you Mr Walker for your kind comments earlier :D

Well, most guys these days are more "in-tune" or whatever psycho babble bull you want to call it with their feelings and all that, thats something guys have learned its ok to be that way, theres no shame in it, and its OK to be that way according to society. I guess women have learned from men how to be more assertive, aggressive, etc.

Thats one of the great lessons of life to which we all will never truly learn. The opposite sex. What makes the world go around!

Why thank you Mr Walker for your kind comments earlier :D

Well, most guys these days are more "in-tune" or whatever psycho babble bull you want to call it with their feelings and all that, thats something guys have learned its ok to be that way, theres no shame in it, and its OK to be that way according to society. I guess women have learned from men how to be more assertive, aggressive, etc.

Thats one of the great lessons of life to which we all will never truly learn. The opposite sex. What makes the world go around!

I thought the whole arguement for women not coming in f1 was they were not assertive and aggressive :wacko:

btw:- i think they should not enter F1 and leave it a male sport

Aye, but if you read Murray's post above, Women for some reason don't like to be shown as aggressive. Well most don't. Like men don't like to be seen crying. Its weird lol.

I can't explain it fully without going into a five or so page quest!! Which I'm sure you'll get bored to death of! :lol:

Hi there everyone...I voted for women to be allowed to race F1; and; as far as i know, there is no rule preventing them from racing. Therefore it has to be fair to say that the only reason we havent witnessed a woman on the F1 grid for decades HAS to be the fact no women driver has been fast or talented enough for a race drive position in an F1 team...It may the benefit the women driver's cause if the FIA allow launch control again; at least that way they may stop riding the f##kin clutch when they take off!!!

Aye, but if you read Murray's post above, Women for some reason don't like to be shown as aggressive. Well most don't. Like men don't like to be seen crying. Its weird lol.

I can't explain it fully without going into a five or so page quest!! Which I'm sure you'll get bored to death of! :lol:

The thing is most women aren't as fast learners as our Steph here. Some may have learned a bit of aggression/competitiveness but most still haven't. All men can cry though! We're better, see? ;)

I see that as prespoterous as having women in the FIFA world cup, or the cricket world cup teams. Keep them out, let them have their own league / Grands Prix. They don't stand a chance racing against the guys. And I am NOT being chauvinistic. That's the way things are.

Did you read stopkidding's post about the Dakar rally? Motorsports isn't purely physical, so I don't see how you can make that statement. Women can run the marathon in two hours something, so they can survive an F1 race. Less women than men perhaps, but the point still stands. Also, looking at how podgy and unfit some cricketers are, I don't see why a woman couldn't survive in cricket, in principle.

I must agree actually with what 'Girl Racer' said... Most the current f1 drivers are there because they hooked up a good sponsorship deal somewhere in their career.

The sad truth is that to become a successful racing driver (ie, make it too formula 1) nowadays takes 70% Money, 30% Skill.

Alonso's pretty crap then isn't he? :P

There are plenty of women fighter pilots and stunt pilots, the skills needed there are comparable or greater than driving an F1 car.

i voted for not to be allowed in F1. right now you all are saying yes but frankly i think it would not be great idea, when it actually occurs.

however wrong it sounds, i don't think women should race, coz then bernie will cut the race length to 1 hour and that would just suck. i am all for equality but not at the risk of the sport. i was calling for longer races(2 hrs) not 1 hr

How is your presumption which you don't back up with anything in any way an argument against women entering the sport on merit? Even if your point is valid, it is comparable to pumpdoc's right wing "gays shouldn't adopt since their kids would be bullied" argument. At least be straightforward about your prejudices (like mock or Irish here for example) instead of making a baseless slippery slope argument.

How is your presumption which you don't back up with anything in any way an argument against women entering the sport on merit? Even if your point is valid, it is comparable to pumpdoc's right wing "gays shouldn't adopt since their kids would be bullied" argument. At least be straightforward about your prejudices (like mock or Irish here for example) instead of making a baseless slippery slope argument.

read my other 2 posts after that one, and you see that i said:"the way i see it" which mean you don't have to agree with what i say.

There are some pretty crappy drivers in f1 such as Crash Sato, Speed, Klien, etc, so i'd say that a Danica Patrick could give them a run for there money. Who cares if it's a male or female driver as long as it creates some excitement to the sport. That's why we watch!

Women should be allowed in F1, but none are ready for F1.

I'd watch out for Natacha Gachnang, she's a Swiss teenager who will be racing in the Atlantics, and shes managed by Willi Webber.

They add glamour to the paddock, but they should be aloud to race in F1 if they are good enough

I saw some girls racing in F1. One was Divina Galica who drove the Minardi / SPYKER OF THOSE DAYS (

And Desire Wilson, who was good enough. But couldn't we let this thread rot in peace?

Well I know what will be the response for the above poll in a "male cahvunistic society", but guys be fair.

It was like women in Poker, Guys thought they did not belong there and underestimated them. Now some of the best players in the world are female. I say if they are good enough they should be sllowed to race. They are ina car. It is not like mixing Football teams or rugny etc... where women would have a clear disadvantage.

You only have to look at that girl from Germany who was on Top Gear. She has been around the nurbugring over 10,000 times and boy can she drive!!

If they make the grade give them a ride. One thing for sure it will keep the guys on their toes!!

Either that or starta womens championship. Personally id like to see a mixed event!!