Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MasterPlans

Women In F1

Role of women in Formula One  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the role of Women in Formula One

• Just to add glamour in the paddock
    • Should be allowed to race in Formula One
    • Just start some thing as Formula Women

"Should be allowed to race in Formula One" was the nearest to what i wanted to answer but I can't see there being a rule saying only men.

My exact answer, if they are good enough on their own merits then get them in without hesitation. Bit to much fuss about Lewis being the first black driver aswell...."skills to pay the bill's" is what its about.

"Should be allowed to race in Formula One" was the nearest to what i wanted to answer but I can't see there being a rule saying only men.

My exact answer, if they are good enough on their own merits then get them in without hesitation. Bit to much fuss about Lewis being the first black driver aswell...."skills to pay the bill's" is what its about.

Amen to that!

I don't know. I'd rather have an ugly cow who can kick the Sh#t out of Kimi Raikkonen's times and puts Fernando Alonso in the shade. Highly unlikely though.

Not so sure, Massa could fit most criteria.

maybe your right but i just think the physical difference between men & women are too big when it comes to fitness, stamina and pure body strength

i agree that a women could probably scrape by in F1 but there never going to be at the top which is what the sport is all about surely

maybe if im totally honest i just dont want women in it - who knows....

I would have thought now, when F1 is probably not quite as demanding physically as it may have been in the past, would be when we saw some women in the sport, but alas it doesn't seem to have happened. Strength I agree with, but I would have thought stamina wise women would be ok - or am I wrong in thinking that?

Anyway, they should have the same opportunities as men.

Desire Wilson was good but didn't get a fair chance, and I know it's not F1 but what about Michelle Mouton?

Katherine Legge seems to be a tough racer! She was even impressive in a minardi test year or two ago. Now she races champ cars, did anyone see her crash and how calm and cheerful she was after that! Its a miracle she survived!

crash

after crash

Now I'd to see her in F1, not some sissy Webber whining over track safety!

Danica doesn't have the talent to succeed in IRL, little own F1. If she ever makes an attempt at crossing the pond - it'll be purely as a PR exercise for whatever sponsor is footing the bill.

Katherine Legge is much more the real deal. She still has a long way to go, but I'd much rather see her make a serious stab at it than Danica. I watched her at the inaugral Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton in 2005 (where she won the race in commanding fashion) and she's been steadily improving in CART since joining the series. Hard to say whether she's got the stuff needed for F1, but I certainly hope so.

i voted for not to be allowed in F1. right now you all are saying yes but frankly i think it would not be great idea, when it actually occurs.

however wrong it sounds, i don't think women should race, coz then bernie will cut the race length to 1 hour and that would just suck. i am all for equality but not at the risk of the sport. i was calling for longer races(2 hrs) not 1 hr

i voted for not to be allowed in F1. right now you all are saying yes but frankly i think it would not be great idea, when it actually occurs.

however wrong it sounds, i don't think women should race, coz then bernie will cut the race length to 1 hour and that would just suck. i am all for equality but not at the risk of the sport. i was calling for longer races(2 hrs) not 1 hr

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What?

Only thing i've heard that makes men faster then women in racing is that men are naturally more likely to take risks and have a go for it attitude. Theres always an exception to a rule though and i'm sure theres women out there who can match the strength and stamina of male drivers so why should they be prevented from joining F1 because of a stereotype? If they can do F1 then let them, dosent mean F1 will change because they are in it...rather small minded reaction if you dont mind me saying so.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What?

Only thing i've heard that makes men faster then women in racing is that men are naturally more likely to take risks and have a go for it attitude. Theres always an exception to a rule though and i'm sure theres women out there who can match the strength and stamina of male drivers so why should they be prevented from joining F1 because of a stereotype? If they can do F1 then let them, dosent mean F1 will change because they are in it...rather small minded reaction if you dont mind me saying so.

the way i see it(which is probably wrong), once one joins more join then as F1 became more safer and safer thus the length will also shorten to make it more equal so everyone can compete and more changes occcur and sponsers make money. bernie makes more money and changes everything.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What?

Sorry AJ and Jay but I must once again agree with Player(1) here. Any women who moves to Formula1 will have a huge PR component in her besides talent (SOME talent will be needed, you won't place Whoppi Goldberg behind a wheel just for PR's sake). You could say that for LH too, or NK, or when the first <insert your favorite ethnic/social/religious group> ever gets an F1seat. That does not mean that, after that, many more can come, provided they have the talent. At least in Argentina, there is a growing interest in women for boxing, so now you find lots of women I would not even dare to shake hands with. The fact that women were fragile is gone now, but it was true before this trend started. Interest helps building the talent and the stamina or whatever women may lack at this moment. Men acquire it through heavy training, why couln't women do that? If any of us guys from the forum would sit on an F1 car for a race, we would probably faint of exhaustion before crossing the starting line! As for me, I would like more women, black people, indian people, arabian people, midgets, anorexics, nerds, penguins, elephants or whatever wants to race and has the guts and the ability! :D

the way i see it(which is probably wrong), once one joins more join then as F1 became more safer and safer thus the length will also shorten to make it more equal so everyone can compete and more changes occcur and sponsers make money. bernie makes more money and changes everything.

Indeed Bernie is a bit of a wild card i'd admit but I really can't see that happening.

Indeed Bernie is a bit of a wild card i'd admit but I really can't see that happening.

As i said:

the way i see it

thus i think bernie is like that kind of person who if someone with money come and tell change the cars to SUV's he will change it without a batter of the eye

Katherine Legge seems to be a tough racer! She was even impressive in a minardi test year or two ago. Now she races champ cars, did anyone see her crash and how calm and cheerful she was after that! Its a miracle she survived!

crash

Now I'd to see her in F1, not some sissy Webber whining over track safety!

Yeah I agree, Katherine Legg is going to be the only Women in the next few years to even be in with a chance. I just neglected to mention her. Mainly because I like Danica :wub:

Danica Patrick's very pretty, and she can handle a car well, but is she really F1 material?

Very very pretty.

Prob not.

Have you seen some of Webber's crashes before he entered F1. Some of them were HUGE. Look at this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLwMZgRNhw

Anyone who has been in a crash like that and is still racing is no sissy.

110% agree. When I was reading through the posts and Stopkidding called Webber a pussy that crash instantly popped into my mind. Glad you posted it ykick :thbup:

Sorry AJ and Jay but I must once again agree with Player(1) here. Any women who moves to Formula1 will have a huge PR component in her besides talent (SOME talent will be needed, you won't place Whoppi Goldberg behind a wheel just for PR's sake). You could say that for LH too, or NK, or when the first <insert your favorite ethnic/social/religious group> ever gets an F1seat. That does not mean that, after that, many more can come, provided they have the talent. At least in Argentina, there is a growing interest in women for boxing, so now you find lots of women I would not even dare to shake hands with. The fact that women were fragile is gone now, but it was true before this trend started. Interest helps building the talent and the stamina or whatever women may lack at this moment. Men acquire it through heavy training, why couln't women do that? If any of us guys from the forum would sit on an F1 car for a race, we would probably faint of exhaustion before crossing the starting line! As for me, I would like more women, black people, indian people, arabian people, midgets, anorexics, nerds, penguins, elephants or whatever wants to race and has the guts and the ability! :D

:lol:

Well I know what will be the response for the above poll in a "male cahvunistic society", but guys be fair.

*sigh* It's sad but true what they say, MasterPlans. Give a woman an inch and she'll take the proverbial mile. We unchain you all from the kitchen sink and now you girls think you can race in F1! Lord have mercy on us - next you'll all want to drive on real roads too!

maybe if im totally honest i just dont want women in it - who knows....
Probaby we should have some thing like Formula Women. probably lower race distance with lower power.
Don't be sorry! Its your opinion. And one that I am halfway inclined to agree with. We may be going against our own gender, but its for the right reasons! :clap3:

Not too sure about less power, but a lesser racing distance perhaps. Our male counterparts have much more upper body strength and stamina to last so long. Maybe a 75% distance of a race? I don't know.

:lol: Interesting views girls. You demonstrate just why women will never get to the top in most disciplines - no arrogance, no competitive/obsessive streak. ;)

Physically, women are quite possibly capable of competing in F1. Male F1 drivers are in the main much fitter than you need to be to drive a race distance and they themsleves are nowhere near the limit of male fitness. OK, people like Schumi, Webbo and DC in their primes probably had greater strength and stamina than most women can attain and they can derive a small advantage from that. However women are said to retain water and fat better than men so you may be able to withstand the dehydration and heat better than us. Also you may cope with g-forces better (perhaps due to your smaller size, I'm not sure) and you have faster reactions (smaller body again). Finally men and women are better coordinated for different tasks: men are better at violent, large-scale movements, women are better at small-scale, delicate movement. It's not clear to me which is more relevant in F1. Therefore in terms of average abilities I see no reason why women couldn't possibly compete based on current knowledge, although there may turn out to be good reasons. You also have to consider variation about the average, and men are normally more varied in ability than women, which clearly would count againt women in F1, if that applies to the relevant abilities for F1, which is not at all clear either.

Why do you say women aren't as strong mentally Irish? That interests me again. (And why don't you want women in F1?) I'm not so sure, although I do think it is mentally where women will struggle in F1. Women on average aren't as competitive or obsessive as men. You are more likely to settle and play things safe and you tend to prefer a balanced lifestyle. That's my opinion anyway but I think there's lots of evidence to back it up. Clearly all of those things will make it very hard for women to match men in F1 and indeed at the elite end of most other professions. Having said that there will always be exceptions like Margaret Thatcher or perhaps the Williams sisters in Tennis. But I don't think we'll see many women succeed in F1 for a long time to come, or at the top of politics or business or many branches of academia for that matter. I should add that in all those disciplines there is an element of discrimination too. As far as F1 goes, racing cars is still regarded as a "masculine" activity and not something many young girls aspire to, which is perhaps the single most important reason why few women do well.

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

Andres, I think you've misunderstood my post. I want to see more women in F1, I just don't think that Danica has what it takes. I do however think that Katherine Legge may have enough talent to warrant some further examination.

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

Andres, I think you've misunderstood my post. I want to see more women in F1, I just don't think that Danica has what it takes. I do however think that Katherine Legge may have enough talent to warrant some further examination.

Sorry, my bad! Still Danica has what it takes!! Oh, you meant about her driving skills...now I get it! :D

Physically, women are quite possibly capable of competing in F1. Male F1 drivers are in the main much fitter than you need to be to drive a race distance and they themsleves are nowhere near the limit of male fitness. OK, people like Schumi, Webbo and DC in their primes probably had greater strength and stamina than most women can attain and they can derive a small advantage from that. However women are said to retain water and fat better than men so you may be able to withstand the dehydration and heat better than us. Also you may cope with g-forces better (perhaps due to your smaller size, I'm not sure) and you have faster reactions (smaller body again). Finally men and women are better coordinated for different tasks: men are better at violent, large-scale movements, women are better at small-scale, delicate movement. It's not clear to me which is more relevant in F1. Therefore in terms of average abilities I see no reason why women couldn't possibly compete based on current knowledge, although there may turn out to be good reasons. You also have to consider variation about the average, and men are normally more varied in ability than women, which clearly would count againt women in F1, if that applies to the relevant abilities for F1, which is not at all clear either.

Physically women are upto the task, probably mentally too. The reason why we don't see too much women drivers in the top flights of motorsport is because not many take up the sport in the junior ranks. The ratio of boys to girls taking up karting would probably be 1000:1, which is why very few rise to the top, cause the talented girls are out playing something else, hockey or soccer or doing coke on fashion runways. Its a simple law of averages, for every michael schumacher to have taken up karting there are probably 100000 Ides' (or NK or Yoong, take your pick)

Physically women are upto the task, probably mentally too. The reason why we don't see too much women drivers in the top flights of motorsport is because not many take up the sport in the junior ranks. The ratio of boys to girls taking up karting would probably be 1000:1, which is why very few rise to the top, cause the talented girls are out playing something else, hockey or soccer or doing coke on fashion runways. Its a simple law of averages, for every michael schumacher to have taken up karting there are probably 100000 Ides' (or NK or Yoong, take your pick)

Yes. That's pretty much what I said. Although I would add that, even in those arenas in society where women do particpate, the very upper ranks tend to be filled disproportionately by men, so I don't think it's purely a law of averages. A smaller effect than any law of averages is that women want different things in life and aren't as competitive/obsessive/arrogant imho.

Yes. That's pretty much what I said. Although I would add that, even in those arenas in society where women do particpate, the very upper ranks tend to be filled disproportionately by men, so I don't think it's purely a law of averages. A smaller effect than any law of averages is that women want different things in life and aren't as competitive/obsessive/arrogant imho.

So I wonder how an all womens F1 race would look like? Will the drivers "leave the door open" at each corner as courtesy? Will the saturday qualification have a beauty pageant for grid positions? Will the drivers touch up their makeup at pit stops?

One thing I can predict for sure is that they would a lot of gossip and bitching going on in the paddock! Imagine 22 webbers cat fighting! :rolleyes:

P.S: ladies of the forum, i am just kidding, so please don't think I am sexist! :blush:

If they have the talent I see no reason what so ever that Women should not be allowed in F1.

Danica Patrick would have to be the only Women that I can see to making it to F1. I would love to see that happen :naughty:

I see that as prespoterous as having women in the FIFA world cup, or the cricket world cup teams. Keep them out, let them have their own league / Grands Prix. They don't stand a chance racing against the guys. And I am NOT being chauvinistic. That's the way things are.

I see that as prespoterous as having women in the FIFA world cup, or the cricket world cup teams. Keep them out, let them have their own league / Grands Prix. They don't stand a chance racing against the guys. And I am NOT being chauvinistic. That's the way things are.

Actually motorsports is one of the few sports in the world that don't segregate based on sex.

Anyone remember Jutta Kleinschmidt who won the Paris Dakar in 2001? She was 38 at the time! Few races in this world are as tough as the paris dakar!

So I wonder how an all womens F1 race would look like? Will the drivers "leave the door open" at each corner as courtesy? Will the saturday qualification have a beauty pageant for grid positions? Will the drivers touch up their makeup at pit stops?

One thing I can predict for sure is that they would a lot of gossip and bitching going on in the paddock! Imagine 22 webbers cat fighting! :rolleyes:

P.S: ladies of the forum, i am just kidding, so please don't think I am sexist! :blush:

Well they would be better at mind games and bitching, that's for sure. The rest is probably an exageration, albeit a funny one. :lol:

YOU SEXIST Sh#t! I HAVE NEVER HEARD SUCH BALLS IN MY LIFE. HOW DARE YOU.....

Kidding. :lol::lol::lol:

I know a lot of the women would be fighting with Nico Rosberg for the hairdryer. :lol: