Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

General Music Thread

To be honest, I don't look for anything in music. I either hear it and like it, or I hear it and don't. Couldn't explain any reasons for why, and I think if you have to explain reasons why, you're forcing yourself to listen to stuff you're not naturally inclined to.

That's true, that's what we all humans do about any kind of entertainment.

Think about films. You either watch it and like it, or watch it and don't. But sometimes you watch a film you didn't enjoy much first time and you love it a few years later. It can happen the other way round too. The reason is in your mind, in your circumstances, in your mood. It always comes naturally to like or dislike art, even prejudices are part of our nature.

Music is no different.

"Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought." E.Y Harburg

To me, music is peace. Its memory. Its home away from home. No matter what is happening, music will always be there, ready to lift my spirits or force me to concentrate, spending all my attention on it, allowing my mind to clear. Music also helps me remember. A simple few bars from the beginning of a song transports me to that particular time. What I was doing when I first heard the song, how old I was, etc.

Music is a form of time travel. Both past and future. It is an antidote to a poison. It is emotion. It is a way of life. It is me. It is you.

Edit: Grammar

Damned double posting. Sorry.

Elbow's latest album, 'Build A Rocket Boys' is released today. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yep. I'm looking forward to that one as well.

@Jay, Beethoven's 7th is my personal favourite, a gobsmackingly good piece of music. I'll never tire of it, especially the second movement. That just makes my hair stand up on end. Also Mars from the Planets suite - orchestral menace at it's best.

Elbow's latest album, 'Build A Rocket Boys' is released today. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yeah, I got it - it's on heavy rotation right now.

Yeah, too bad the glory days passed, when music inspired kids to be lazy, reject authority, and experiment with drugs.

There are always dumbass youths who do things because they're too easily influenced. There are always youths that aren't dumbasses, too (I listen to Ke$ha; can't say I lead her lifestyle). Every generation of pop culture this happens.

And every generation of pop culture had people who moaned and moaned about the change and people who embraced it. It's just funny to see people who were on the receiving end of the moaning during their time are now the ones doing it.

What's so wrong about respecting the fact people have different tastes in music? I can't stand to listen to The Beatles, but I'm not going to go around saying why The Beatles are talentless or why they're a bad influence or this or that. I just let it be...:P

I figure...listen to what you like, and be content with that, even if there aren't new songs added to your collection too frequently. So what? For every TImbaland song you don't listen to, there's a Jimi Hendrix song I don't listen to. Seems to me it makes more sense to just enjoy what you do listen to than get riled about what you don't, or have impossible dreams that what you don't listen to will suddenly be replaced with a repeat of days gone by; same in my case, there'd be no sense in wishing that Ke$ha's career had started earlier, or that there were synthesizers in the 1920s, or whatever.

Yep.

In my case I really do think that some artists are a lot better than others (which is obvious and natural) but I don't think people should try and be snobs 'cos they listen to The Beatles and someone else listens to Boyzone.

purpose of music videos in the 70's and 80's was to make public buy more records, main profit was in selling records. today, when you can find any record on the net for free, music industry turned to selling and pushing a specific modern life style. they sell clothes, shoes , hairstyles, parfumes... music is only used as instrumentality of advertising those products by new music stars using them. and they target more younger public, because it is easier to make influence on them, and you can reach them at every place in every moment because they all have i-phone's, i-pad's and other modern gadget's. good music will allways be good music,i mean if it is good to you then enjoy it, if you think that some kind of music isn't good then don't listen it. it is good now that one of the main source of profit for famous musicians are concerts, or live show's, because they really make effort to afford great spectacle for audience. last great show i have seen was AC/DC concert two years ago, during their 'Black ice tour ', it was fvcking amazing.

Good post! The "good music is good music" is what I was trying to get at with my original post. When you start talking about it by generations I think you're getting into a different, more muddled conversation.

There were far more working bands around in the late '60s and early '70s than there are now. Of course, there were only a couple of TV shows, the radio or live gigs to 'network' your wares. Now, with internet sites like MySpace, [East European Prostitute Exchange], Reverbnation, Facebook and YouTube, you can get your stuff to a zillion people in the shortest time possible. Most new bands can't make a decent second album, let alone a third. The Beatles made a whole bunch of them, as did the Stones, Neil Young, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, the Band, the Beach Boys etc, etc. The big 'tell-tale' fact is record sales. In the '50s you needed 1,000,00 sales, in the '60s and early '70s, you needed to rack up 500,000 sales for a Gold record award. Now, 100,000 will do. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are still probably the biggest-selling artists who evolved in the post-internet, post-MTV period with about 200,000,000 sales apiece. By comparison, The Beatles and Elvis come in with around 1 billion each. Linkin Park and Rihanna have so far managed @ 65,000,000 each. Certification criteria was changed long before MTV and the internet so, though you can blame illegal downloads for a sizeable portion of declining record sales basically, most modern artists are short-lived phenomena, mainly due to a gross lack of talent and creative ability. As Tom Petty said in the recent documentary, 'Damn The Torpedoes': "if you ask kids whether they would rather win American Idol or spend 30 years building a rock sold career in music, the answer is always the same - American Idol". Of course, that is why we have no decent bands around. This is the age of instant gratification and the artist are as short of real talent as the public are fickle. It's the nature of the beast.

I agree with a lot of what you say but talented artists are talented artists and I don't think what era they are born in changes that, even if the culture is different now. Comparing every musician now to The Beatles, Elvis, the Stones etc seems a little harsh as surely they were exceptional even for their era? Just because we probably don't have any bands of that quality (the highest quality) around now doesn't mean we have no decent ones. It's like saying "there isn't an Ayrton Senna on the grid today so Alonso and Hamilton are rubbish".

But anyway speaking of The Rolling Stones, currently in love with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSTBbd-wqY&feature=related

Their first was good so I'll give that one a whirl.

Edit: meant to respond to Pablo! In short: tastes certainly do change over time with music which I guess is natural (even I'm finding that already :lol:), and I think it's good to try and listen to a lot of stuff.

I don't know, Steph. That would suggest I could only get a hard on if I saw chuffing big shoulder pads and bollocking big hair :lol:

You get turned on by Michael Bolton??? :o Each to their own.... :) Hard to find decent music in a prison, I guess.... :D

On the general theme of manufactured music, the Monkees started it back in the 60s - first proper manufactured group so this has been going on a long time.

Personally I don't attach labels to music, if I like it I listen to it. That includes stuff from Girls Aloud, Take That, etc. BUT I also like some more niche music. A little bit of everything does no harm....

I was the youngest of 4, my eldest brother was 15 years older than me and was into Hendrilx, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, The Who, Rolling Stones. My middle bro was into Reggae, Soul, Motown and bizarrely punk (!) My sister was into folk and jazz rock. I grew up during the transition from Glam Rock and Disco, through punk and into 80s electropop. Hence probably why my tastes are so broad.

Concerts I have seen range from Aswad (crap) through Eurythmics (amazing), Tom Jones (Still got it), James Brown (got everyone going). Two best concerts we saw recently were on a long weekend in Norway (specifically for that purpose) - Ultravox (never saw them at their height and wow!) and Jace Everett (he wrote and performed Bad Things - the theme from the True Blood series - this was in a bar not much bigger than your from room and was good old fashioned rock and roll - stunning performance).

I also don't believe that there are no good musicians any more; been listening recently to Amy MacDonald and Little Boots, two very different musicians in early stages of their career and at opposite ends of the spectrum, but who have worked their way into the music business, composed, performed and sung their own creations. Raw talent.

Its there if you want to look for it.....

Looks like a 2010 spec poster to me eusa_think.gifWelcome back!

New favourite song:

Even here you can't escape The Sheen.

Music that soothes the soul, evolver one a local band with some great songs, and they're different from all the rock bands that just sounds the same over here in SA

You get turned on by Michael Bolton??? :o Each to their own.... :) Hard to find decent music in a prison, I guess.... :D

On the general theme of manufactured music, the Monkees started it back in the 60s - first proper manufactured group so this has been going on a long time.

Personally I don't attach labels to music, if I like it I listen to it. That includes stuff from Girls Aloud, Take That, etc. BUT I also like some more niche music. A little bit of everything does no harm....

I was the youngest of 4, my eldest brother was 15 years older than me and was into Hendrilx, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, The Who, Rolling Stones. My middle bro was into Reggae, Soul, Motown and bizarrely punk (!) My sister was into folk and jazz rock. I grew up during the transition from Glam Rock and Disco, through punk and into 80s electropop. Hence probably why my tastes are so broad.

Concerts I have seen range from Aswad (crap) through Eurythmics (amazing), Tom Jones (Still got it), James Brown (got everyone going). Two best concerts we saw recently were on a long weekend in Norway (specifically for that purpose) - Ultravox (never saw them at their height and wow!) and Jace Everett (he wrote and performed Bad Things - the theme from the True Blood series - this was in a bar not much bigger than your from room and was good old fashioned rock and roll - stunning performance).

I also don't believe that there are no good musicians any more; been listening recently to Amy MacDonald and Little Boots, two very different musicians in early stages of their career and at opposite ends of the spectrum, but who have worked their way into the music business, composed, performed and sung their own creations. Raw talent.

Its there if you want to look for it.....

Need a thicker pair of glasses there, and not the monocle, old man. It's Hendrix not Hendrilx.

They'll soon be coke bottles on wires for you mate. :P

Look. Doubtfire, RuPaul whoever. I know you don't want to be messing with no Jimi songs. It just ain't done.

But it did take me ten minutes to recover from laughing hard, you crank!

You still dress like Michael Bolton, you just aint got the hair anymore :lol:

I'm the one in prison?? You disappear for months at a time and then just occasionally post.......I guess Southern Softies do need an easier time on parole :whistling:

Good to have you back, Sir.

I'm the one in prison?? You disappear for months at a time and then just occasionally post.......I guess Southern Softies do need an easier time on parole :whistling:

Oh yes! Oh hell yes! :lol::thbup:

1) Phew at least that means you won't fancy me :P

2) You are right about hair loss - see this old post, indeed I do not have *the hair*: http://www.totalf1.c...post__p__307955

I'm the one in prison...

Glad you finally admit it! :P Bloody scousers, nicking hubcaps all the time :) Good job I have alloys with a locking wheel nuts :)

Good to be back (I think??? :D )

1) Phew at least that means you won't fancy me :P

2) You are right about hair loss - see this old post, indeed I do not have *the hair*: http://www.totalf1.c...post__p__307955

Glad you finally admit it! :P Bloody scousers, nicking hubcaps all the time :) Good job I have alloys with a locking wheel nuts :)

Good to be back (I think??? :D )

1. I never actually said that :wub:

2. At least we know where the family brain cell went :whistling:

Well, they are the only nuts that you can claim to have, you southern softy :mf_tongue:

I'll remind you of the 'good to be back' after the first race, see if it's still holding true :lol: