Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

F1 Night Race

F1 night race possible, says Tilke

The first ever night race in Formula 1 has moved a step closer after circuit designer Hermann Tilke said it was now possible to successfully stage and televise such an event.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone recently said that one or two night-time races could be on the cards by the end of the decade

Im not really a fan of this idea as Asian races are the only races where i get to see them at a decent hour and it is really irritating that people in Europe get preference to people in other timezones.

so we cut car emissions but burn coal to power the lights, nice job Bernie another reason you and Mosly arn't fit to run the Sport.

I'd love to see how the car's look driven in anger under stadium lighting and the more they drive in the cold the better I say.

I'd imagine a wet night race would look pretty stunning.

Oh and why shouldnt the home and biggest market for F1 get priority?

I would have thought a night race would be really suited to Indianapolis. I wouldn't be suprised to see the USA race become a night race as the lighting system required would either already be installed or need a minor upgrade compared to any other track. Can any of our American friends confirm or deny this (lighting system)? Also, would you actually want to go and watch the night race if it happened?

yeah they should make us, china, spa as night races with little headlights in front of F1 cars. IMO it would be fun to watch

agree with player1 wet night races would be cool (thus spa is added)

why night race? whats the point, whats the benefit? F1 has been just fine for the last 57 years without any night races. It wouldnt be cool, it would probably be annoying to watch

I would like to see a night race. Having been to a few night races here (Rolex 24 and Rolex Grand Prix of Miami) I'm sure there would be another track in America with a lighting system installed (like Daytona or Homestead-Miami since Indy doesn't have light system that I know of) that would need only minor alterations to the safety systems to meet FIA requirements. I go to the Richmond NASCAR races under the lights and there isn't anything like it it. I think the F1 drivers would have a hard time adjusting to the shadows and glare caused by the lights.

why night race? whats the point, whats the benefit? F1 has been just fine for the last 57 years without any night races. It wouldnt be cool, it would probably be annoying to watch

When you ask why, you can also always ask why not. :lol: I personally think it would be interesting. It would at least look cool visually. But it's not a must for F1 to follow nascar and champ car etc, not at all. The masses aren't gonna complain "why no night races?".

i really dont see the point. i dont see how it would improve the spectacle, or the racing, or any aspect of the sport. in fact it would probably make it more difficult for teams, drivers, sponsors, guests, and fans who are trying to watch. If its lit up enough so that everything can be seen, then why not just have the race during the day???

I think that it would be rather cool as well.

Wouldn't want it to be every race, perhaps just once midway through the season.

And maybe not 'Night' but say 8PM GMT. :P

i really dont see the point. i dont see how it would improve the spectacle, or the racing, or any aspect of the sport. in fact it would probably make it more difficult for teams, drivers, sponsors, guests, and fans who are trying to watch. If its lit up enough so that everything can be seen, then why not just have the race during the day???
Things like this just don't look as cool as during the daytime:

P1050194.jpg

Go to any night race, be it NASCAR, sprints, Rolex, whatever and the glowing rotors and backfiring exhausts just may change your mind.

Go to any night race, be it NASCAR, sprints, Rolex, whatever and the glowing rotors and backfiring exhausts just may change your mind.

except that F1 brakes no longer low red because they are carbon and you don't see back fires. All a night race does is slow the cars down and decrease the chances drivers take. and the only places night races would be held would be in Asia because the north American races are already prime time in Europe and no European race would do something so stupid as to run at night. Why not just have the cars all drive backward, it has just about as much of a point as a night race

except that F1 brakes no longer low red because they are carbon and you don't see back fires. All a night race does is slow the cars down and decrease the chances drivers take. and the only places night races would be held would be in Asia because the north American races are already prime time in Europe and no European race would do something so stupid as to run at night. Why not just have the cars all drive backward, it has just about as much of a point as a night race

Lower tempratures ---> Less grip ---> More driver skill required ---> Alonso win's

Simply driving at night throws a spanner in the works just like driving in Monaco or wet races does for the current calender setup...you get surprise's.

If I want to watch a night race I'll go to Le Mans.

me too, or maybe just turn down the brightness on my TV screen so i cant see the cars very well.

f1 cars dont shoot out flames so thats not really a reason to have a night race. and i disagree that it would throw up surprises, surely it would just be the same? but annoying to watch cos its dark?

Lower tempratures ---> Less grip ---> More driver skill required ---> Alonso win's

Simply driving at night throws a spanner in the works just like driving in Monaco or wet races does for the current calender setup...you get surprise's.

So let's go racing in cold countries.

nah jenson would win in less grip cos he's so smooth :rolleyes:

alonso would fly off the circuit, he needs tons of grip for throwing his car into corners as harshly as he does

some drivers would not be able to see clearly and thus crash, especially starts may be accidents, and a wet night race will be one of the most difficult races for a driver(due to low vision)

why not just blindfold the drivers and the Cameras and so it looks like they are driving in interstellar space? or maybe put magnets in the wheels and make them drive upside down? Or how about just not having a night race? or any other form of stupid setup that makes F1 even more like IRL and NASCAR then it already has become.

why not just blindfold the drivers and the Cameras and so it looks like they are driving in interstellar space? or maybe put magnets in the wheels and make them drive upside down? Or how about just not having a night race? or any other form of stupid setup that makes F1 even more like IRL and NASCAR then it already has become.

Someone's p**sed and definatly doesn't like the night races idea