Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Cricket World Cup - 2007

Brett Lee is out of the World Cup.

Lee reportedly gone for Cup

:o But you had to expect that he was not going to play in all honesty.

:clap3::clap3::cheers::congrats::kicking::kicking::kicking::YaY:

:mf_tongue:

It will make a World Cup victory just that little bit more special.

I didnt actually. A week ago he gave himself a 50-50 chance of playing in the World Cup and usually when sportspeople say that they almost always end up playing. Brett Lee is probably the player we could have least afforded to loose as even though he is reasonably expensive in the amount of runs he gets off each over you can be almost certain he will take 2 or more wickets each match and now with Glenn McGrath who is not the bowler he was afew years ago im not certain we have any real strike bowlers in the Australian squad.

I didnt actually. A week ago he gave himself a 50-50 chance of playing in the World Cup and usually when sportspeople say that they almost always end up playing. Brett Lee is probably the player we could have least afforded to loose as even though he is reasonably expensive in the amount of runs he gets off each over you can be almost certain he will take 2 or more wickets each match and now with Glenn McGrath who is not the bowler he was afew years ago im not certain we have any real strike bowlers in the Australian squad.

Given the amount of stress that is placed on a fast bowlers ankles, and hearing binger explain that he heard a loud pop I always knew deep down that he was at very best a 50/50 chance to play.

McGrath will need to find some awesome form and lift the our bowling attack which will now be more reliant on him.

McGrath will need to find some awesome form and lift the our bowling attack which will now be more reliant on him.

If anyone can do that its Mcgrath. The problem is that he isnt a young man anymore and its not a very good sign when our pace attack is reliant on a cricketer who's best days are behind him.

If anyone can do that its Mcgrath. The problem is that he isnt a young man anymore and its not a very good sign when our pace attack is reliant on a cricketer who's best days are behind him.

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying.

Glenn McGrath might be able to retire from cricket in fairytale fashion, by carrying our bowling attack to World Cup glory.

Glenn McGrath might be able to retire from cricket in fairytale fashion, by carrying our bowling attack to World Cup glory.

McGrath has spent much of his career carrying Australia's bowling attack.

:mf_tongue:

It will make a World Cup victory just that little bit more special.

I'm sorry Aussie bt it gives India a higher chance.

ya....with Brett lee out of the world cup team, n a few other players injured, it gives India higher chance of winning the world cup compared to wat we had in '99 world cup!

now with 2 consecutive series wins in India against West indies n Sri lanka, I think that india has a good chance of goin upto the finals....

but Australia without their key players is a team comparable to what Ferrari is without schumacher.....they'll still b just as good and strongest contenders for WC2007

McGrath has spent much of his career carrying Australia's bowling attack.

Indeed

I'm sorry Aussie bt it gives India a higher chance.

Fair enough :D

Lee gone!!!! Good news for rest of the world :P

but i guess his replacement is Stuart Clarke and he is a good bowler not lethal like Lee but effective.

Steve Waugh captains greatest XI

Steve Waugh has been named captain of Australia's greatest ODI team at the celebration of one-day cricket in Sydney. The current leader Ricky Ponting took the vice-captaincy role and the No. 3 spot while Michael Bevan won the fight for the finisher's position.

However, there was no place for Allan Border, who led Australia to their first World Cup in 1987, or Michael Hussey, who averages 66.88 in 61 matches. The line-up was dominated by names which had carried Australia to consecutive World Cup titles.

Bevan edged out Border and Hussey for the No. 6 spot while Dean Jones, who played in the successful 1987 side, was picked at No. 4 and followed by Waugh. The openers were Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist - neither Ian Healy nor Rod Marsh were in the short-list of 30 - and Andrew Symonds' all-round skills won him a berth at seven while Greg Chappell was 12th man.

The attack included the senior figure of Dennis Lillee, who took one of the three fast-bowling slots with Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee. Shane Warne, who has not played an ODI for Australia since 2003, was picked after being a central figure in the 1999 campaign. Overall the players had appeared in 2370 matches, scored 55,831 runs and taken 1532 wickets.

The naming of the squad showed how much Australia value the injured Lee and Symonds. Lee was ruled out with an ankle injury last week while Symonds continues to recover from surgery on his arm. Symonds will leave with the squad for the Caribbean on Wednesday after the current group's official World Cup farewell at the celebration dinner.

"There's some great players who have missed out on the side and that's always going to be the case," Steve Waugh said. "Going across different eras, it's almost impossible to pick the side.

"I think everyone here feels very privileged to be picked, especially myself being captain. There's a number of players that could have been sitting here in the side, Allan Border, a number of other players."

Australia's 163 ODI representatives since 1971 were invited to vote for their best team, with about 80% casting their nominations. Approximately 120 of the players attended the function, which also recognised Border's 1987 squad almost 20 years after the breakthrough triumph in India.

Australia's greatest ODI XI (in batting order)

1. Adam Gilchrist (wk)

2. Mark Waugh

3. Ricky Ponting (vice capt)

4. Dean Jones

5. Steve Waugh (capt)

6. Michael Bevan

7. Andrew Symonds

8. Shane Warne

9. Brett Lee

10. Dennis Lillee

11. Glenn McGrath

12. Greg Chappell (12th man)

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/...ory/281759.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one brilliant one day side and i know its the best side possible as each person was voted in by over 120 or the 163 players who have played One Day International cricket for Australia. Im really glad Steve Waugh is the captain as he is my favourite sports person of all time and is easily the best captain Australia has ever had.

How the World Cup evolved

Cricket's biggest tournament - the World Cup - will be held in the West Indies between 13 March and 28 April.

A total of 16 teams will vie for cricket's most illustrious prize.

It will be the ninth time the tournament has been staged since the first one was held in England 32 years ago in 1975.

We look back at the history of the one-day international competition and its mixture of magic moments, shocks and controversies.

_42575083_worldcup416.jpg

How the World Cup evolved - 1975

Winners: West Indies beat Australia by 17 runs

The first World Cup included the six Test nations of the time, minus the excluded South Africa, plus Sri Lanka and East Africa.

Some teams struggle with the 60-over format. In one game against hosts England, India got it totally wrong - failing to realise you could not play for a draw!

The West Indies, featuring stars Gordon Greenidge, Viv Richards and Clive Lloyd, won a great final on a balmy evening at Lord's. They beat an Australian side, including Ian and Greg Chappell and Dennis Lillee, by 17 runs.

_42574605_lloyd416.jpg

How the World Cup evolved - 1979

Winners: West Indies beat England by 92 runs

Kerry Packer's World Series had dramatically changed the cricketing landscape but a truce was agreed before the World Cup - players signed to the rival could take part.

Australia were not at full strength and Canada replaced East Africa but the same format remained. Hosts England made the final against a backdrop of lower crowds and indifferent weather.

West Indies piled on 286-9 in their 60 overs, with Viv Richards hitting 138. England's Mike Brearley and Geoff Boycott put on 127 in reply for the first wicket but were skittled for 194, Joel Garner claiming 5-38.

_42574661_sirviv416.jpg

How the World Cup evolved - 1983

Winners: India beat West Indies by 43 runs

One-day cricket's popularity led to the event expanding. Teams faced each other twice in their groups.

England, West Indies and Sri Lanka fielded weakened sides as players had defected to rebel tours in South Africa but the World Cup still grossed

yeah GO australia GO :lol:

but seriously i guess Australia has best chance if they bowl well. Their batting n fielding is the best. SA are chokers. India/Pak are unpredicteble. England cant play one day cricket :D rest teams doent matters

Edit : Forgot Srilanka... They have better chance after australia.

yeah GO australia GO :lol:

but seriously i guess Australia has best chance if they bowl well. Their batting n fielding is the best. SA are chokers. India/Pak are unpredicteble. England cant play one day cricket :D rest teams doent matters

Edit : Forgot Srilanka... They have better chance after australia.

:huh::huh: WI were allout by India in 85 runs in 25 overs in a home match,

2 reasons:- India is becoming awesome, or WI are sukcing really bad.

:huh::huh: WI were allout by India in 85 runs in 25 overs in a home match,

2 reasons:- India is becoming awesome, or WI are sukcing really bad.

i saw that match... WI were playing as if they are playing a freaking 20-20...

England are not a 1 day team unfortunately. We don't stand a chance in the world cup

Alright here is the Schedule.

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

13th March

West Indies vs Pakistan

14th March

Australia vs Scotland

Kenya vs Canada

15th March

Sri Lanka vs Bermuda

Zimbabwe vs Ireland

16th March

South Africa vs The Netherlands

England vs New Zealand

17th March

India vs Bangladesh

Pakistan vs Ireland

18th March

Australia vs The Netherlands

England vs Canada

19th March

India vs Bermuda

West Indies vs Zimbabwe

20th March

South Africa vs Scotland

New Zealand vs Kenya

21st March

Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh

Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

22nd March

Scotland vs The Netherlands

New Zealand vs Canada

23rd March

India vs Sri Lanka

West Indies vs Ireland

24th March

Australia vs South Africa

England vs Kenya

25th March

Bermuda vs Bangladesh

Match between WI n Pak starts in 30 mins :D

Neither side has been in particularly good form but both teams have some brilliant players so i think it will be a close one.