Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MasterPlans

Bahrain Tests!!!

McLaren duo set the pace in Bahrain

By Biranit Goren Saturday, February 24th 2007, 14:27 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso led McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton at the top of the timesheet on the third day of preseason testing in Bahrain.

The Spaniard set a time of 1:30.994, just one tenth of a second faster than Hamilton, with the Ferrari pair of Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen a further seven tenths behind.

The test session was held under partly cloudy skies and warm temperatures at the Sakhir track, with all teams but Williams and Spyker taking part in the running.

The day began with Toro Rosso's Scott Speed bringing the session to a stop as he spun off an hour into the running, but he avoided damage to his car and was later able to continue, finishing the day last on the timesheet.

Toyota's Jarno Trulli, who ended only just ahead of Speed, brought out the second red flag at noon, when his car stopped on track, followed shortly after by Raikkonen, who suffered a gearbox failure.

After lunch, Alonso too had to stop on track, with oil dripping from the floor of his MP4/22. Hamilton also stopped on track an hour later.

The technical gremlins also affected BMW Sauber, with Nick Heidfeld's engine blowing after lunchtime, while teammate Robert Kubica's car had an oil line problem that resulted in an engine change. The pair finished 10th and 11th fastest respectively.

Honda's Jenson Button, seventh overall, also saw an engine change, as did Red Bull's David Coulthard, who also had his gearbox changed in the RB3. Coulthard was eighth fastest, with teammate Mark Webber only 14th.

Button's teammate Rubens Barrichello had a productive day, running the most laps of all drivers with a total of 129, and setting the sixth fastest time.

Super Aguri's Anthony Davidson was also showing consistency, accumulating a total of 126 trouble-free laps in the interim car.

Also running over a hundred laps were test drivers Nelson Piquet Jr for Renault and Franck Montagny for Toyota. Both finished ninth and 13th fastest, respectively.

Toyota, however, faced a unique problem at the start of the day: the Japanese team ran out of fire extinguishers yesterday, having emptied all three on hand. Nevertheless, new ones were flown into the Middle Eastern track overnight.

Testing at Bahrain continues next week.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps

1. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes ( B) 1:30.994 73

2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes ( B) 1:31.094 53

3. Massa Ferrari ( B) 1:31.718 52

4. Raikkonen Ferrari ( B) 1:31.867 100

5. Kovalainen Renault ( B) 1:32.032 86

6. Barrichello Honda ( B) 1:32.115 129

7. Button Honda ( B) 1:32.137 78

8. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault ( B) 1:32.220 73

9. Piquet Renault ( B) 1:32.334 102

10. Heidfeld BMW Sauber ( B) 1:32.451 65

11. Kubica BMW Sauber ( B) 1:32.475 95

12. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda ( B) 1:32.553 126

13. Montagny Toyota ( B) 1:32.917 110

14. Webber Red Bull-Renault ( B) 1:33.034 73

15. Trulli Toyota ( B) 1:33.062 104

16. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari ( B) 1:33.255 60

All timing unofficial

------------------------------------------------------------------------Mclaren fast and unreliable? :eusa_think:

You may be the only williams fan on this forum right now.

:nono1:

Always have and always will support Williams.

:nono1:

Always have and always will support Williams.

I still remember the times when finding someone who DID NOT support Williams was hard.

I'm getting old. :(

Looks like most of the teams have had problems with alteast one car today.

Yeah - the number of problems has been crazy. Probably the teams have been using components for as long as possible over the last few tests to see how long they last. Also maybe Bahrain is particularly taxing due to the sand getting into the cars and/or the heat.

You may be the only williams fan on this forum right now.

Hey I am williams fan too. My support for teams is a bit weird, I have always supported ferrari, mclaren when senna was racing, I support williams because they are williams, I supported BAR and BMW when JV was racing, and I loved benetton for schumacher!

overall I am a fan of the sport!

McLaren duo set the pace in Bahrain

By Biranit Goren Saturday, February 24th 2007, 14:27 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso led McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton at the top of the timesheet on the third day of preseason testing in Bahrain.

The Spaniard set a time of 1:30.994, just one tenth of a second faster than Hamilton, with the Ferrari pair of Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen a further seven tenths behind.

The test session was held under partly cloudy skies and warm temperatures at the Sakhir track, with all teams but Williams and Spyker taking part in the running.

The day began with Toro Rosso's Scott Speed bringing the session to a stop as he spun off an hour into the running, but he avoided damage to his car and was later able to continue, finishing the day last on the timesheet.

Toyota's Jarno Trulli, who ended only just ahead of Speed, brought out the second red flag at noon, when his car stopped on track, followed shortly after by Raikkonen, who suffered a gearbox failure.

After lunch, Alonso too had to stop on track, with oil dripping from the floor of his MP4/22. Hamilton also stopped on track an hour later.

The technical gremlins also affected BMW Sauber, with Nick Heidfeld's engine blowing after lunchtime, while teammate Robert Kubica's car had an oil line problem that resulted in an engine change. The pair finished 10th and 11th fastest respectively.

Honda's Jenson Button, seventh overall, also saw an engine change, as did Red Bull's David Coulthard, who also had his gearbox changed in the RB3. Coulthard was eighth fastest, with teammate Mark Webber only 14th.

Button's teammate Rubens Barrichello had a productive day, running the most laps of all drivers with a total of 129, and setting the sixth fastest time.

Super Aguri's Anthony Davidson was also showing consistency, accumulating a total of 126 trouble-free laps in the interim car.

Also running over a hundred laps were test drivers Nelson Piquet Jr for Renault and Franck Montagny for Toyota. Both finished ninth and 13th fastest, respectively.

Toyota, however, faced a unique problem at the start of the day: the Japanese team ran out of fire extinguishers yesterday, having emptied all three on hand. Nevertheless, new ones were flown into the Middle Eastern track overnight.

Testing at Bahrain continues next week.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps

1. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes ( B) 1:30.994 73

2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes ( B) 1:31.094 53

3. Massa Ferrari ( B) 1:31.718 52

4. Raikkonen Ferrari ( B) 1:31.867 100

5. Kovalainen Renault ( B) 1:32.032 86

6. Barrichello Honda ( B) 1:32.115 129

7. Button Honda ( B) 1:32.137 78

8. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault ( B) 1:32.220 73

9. Piquet Renault ( B) 1:32.334 102

10. Heidfeld BMW Sauber ( B) 1:32.451 65

11. Kubica BMW Sauber ( B) 1:32.475 95

12. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda ( B) 1:32.553 126

13. Montagny Toyota ( B) 1:32.917 110

14. Webber Red Bull-Renault ( B) 1:33.034 73

15. Trulli Toyota ( B) 1:33.062 104

16. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari ( B) 1:33.255 60

All timing unofficial

------------------------------------------------------------------------Mclaren fast and unreliable? :eusa_think:

Ok here is my take on testing so far.

Reliability:

Looks like all the teams are still having their fair share of failures, except Renault who have showed impressive reliability. Renault are the dark horse of this season, Come australia when the rest of the teams have parts falling off their cars, the Renault drivers will be quietly racking up the points! Remember the driver formerly known as the Minardi discard?

Speed:

when it comes to speed of the package I think its pretty even with Mclaren, Ferrari, BMW and Renault. Honda are showing better pace offlate so they might not be such a dud afterall. Can't judge much with the testing speed as the programs tend to be different on different days. Somedays the team are evaluating aero, tyres, fuel loads, distance runs etc...but the usual suspects look fast enough. BMW are the surprise this testing season. But last year BMW topped all the friday sessions and flopped in quali and the races, so its too early to call...

what do you thinK?

I still remember the times when finding someone who DID NOT support Williams was hard.

I'm getting old. :(

The glory supporters have gone, we are entering an era where the true fans remain and there are still many of them around. :D

what do you thinK?

Well, I stand by my old predictions for the start of the season. On pace I might put BMW in a clear 3rd place now, and Renault in 4th, but as Renault show good reliability, for now I'll leave them where they are. Probably over the season BMW will overtake them.

Right! 'Ere's me list (overall performance):

1) Ferrari

2) McLaren

3) BMW

=3) Renault

5) Honda

6) Toyota

7) Redbull

8) Williams

9) Aguri

10) Sypker

I missed off STR didn't I? Well I don't pay much attention to them (sorry Andres). Probably they'll slot in about level with Williams.

Well, I stand by my old predictions for the start of the season. On pace I might put BMW in a clear 3rd place now, and Renault in 4th, but as Renault show good reliability, for now I'll leave them where they are. Probably over the season BMW will overtake them.

I missed off STR didn't I? Well I don't pay much attention to them (sorry Andres). Probably they'll slot in about level with Williams.

I would put Williams about Toyota and Redbull. But your list is fair enough. I am not sure what the big deal with Redbull. All they have going is a fancy name designer lots of money and two average drivers (DC will wipe Webber though). They have serious handling and reliabilty problems, their gearbox is Sh#t (most teams have moved onto seamless shift boxes, while Redbull can't even get their regular gearbox to work).

At best Redbull are better than STR, SA, Spyker....with Toyota and Williams ahead of them!

I would put Williams about Toyota and Redbull. But your list is fair enough. I am not sure what the big deal with Redbull. All they have going is a fancy name designer lots of money and two average drivers (DC will wipe Webber though). They have serious handling and reliabilty problems, their gearbox is Sh#t (most teams have moved onto seamless shift boxes, while Redbull can't even get their regular gearbox to work).

At best Redbull are better than STR, SA, Spyker....with Toyota and Williams ahead of them!

Yeah, the second half of the grid is less interesting to me, so I haven't thought so hard about it. Having said that, I tend to go on more long term indicators rather than testing times which are very unreliable imho, so I'd leave Toyota in 6th. They have so much money and start from a higher base than Williams. Their engine is also designed with their car specifically in mind too. Also I hardly ever see Williams testing, and a lot of what little they have done was done with their inexperienced new test driver. One advantage they do have is a very technically able driver line up though. I tend to agree with you about RBR, though I still hope they will gradually improve now Newey is in charge.

The glory supporters have gone, we are entering an era where the true fans remain and there are still many of them around. :D

JB is my main man cos i feel so strongly that he can be champ - but williams is easily my favourite team, they're in it for the racing, Frank and Patrick are all about motorsport, its in their blood and they live for it, and i've read countless times that the williams garage are a brilliant bunch of down-to-earth normal guys who just love F1. I also admire the way they're still strong(ish) despite the ridiculous costs, and the high pressure to stay competitive against the rich manufacturers

Yeah - the number of problems has been crazy. Probably the teams have been using components for as long as possible over the last few tests to see how long they last. Also maybe Bahrain is particularly taxing due to the sand getting into the cars and/or the heat.

That could be 90% true. :eusa_think:

Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes test report summary

Bahrain Test 24th February 2007

Date: Saturday 24th February 2007

Drivers: Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton

Track Length: 5.412km

Weather: Sunshine all day.

Track temperature: 49.1

Air temperature: 26.2

Laps run today: 127

Kilometres covered today: Fernando

Very nice. So far it seems McLaren has only had 2 major engine failures and they where both on engines well past their required life (about 900km?).

If you go back and look at the long runs of the teams, the times are very close. I hope that means more competition at the sharp-end of the grid.