Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

V8 Supercars

OK, I'm through half of the V8 Supercar races for '06 and a few comments spring to mind:

1) These guys have talent!

2) These guys have big brass balls and a fighting spirit we all know is true Aussie.

3) There is...gasp....RACING.

4) I am hooked.

5) Well, I can't think of a 5th thing, but maybe ykick can...

6) I thought of something: The drivers rub and bump and trade paint! Aggression with a capital 'A'!!

A few drivers spring out as having more than a fair share of talent and racecraft. I'll rank 'em as I see 'em (keep in mind I'm a total newbie to V8's):

1) I'm a Winterbottom fan, but I have to rank Skaife as numero uno right now.

2) Winterbottom

3) Lowndes

4) Ingall

5) Tander

I know the resident V8 fans here will have their own picks (and probably better reasons for picking them) but there's mine. The ranking is so difficult because almost all those guys have an incredible amount of talent!

Okay, thoughts?

Im really glad you like it. I also love many aspects of V8 Supercars such as the ability to trade paint without destroying someones race. I wont reveal the results of the Bathurst 1000 but at the end of the race nearly every car still running had some kind of panel damage. I have loved the V8 Supercars for as long as i can remember and im almost certain they were the first racing series i ever followed. One thing Mike didnt mention is how close the racing is and how nearly half the cars on the grid have the ability to win which is a trait i wish Formula 1 also had.

Wait till you see Bathurst. It's the single race I look forward to most every year.

This year will be even better, they've revised the points and qualifying system.

Out of curiosity where did you get the races from?

Wait till you see Bathurst. It's the single race I look forward to most every year.

Yes Bathurst is easily the best race of the year and always has alot of action.

This year will be even better, they've revised the points and qualifying system.

Im really looking forward to that as well. There is a bigger points gap between 1st and 2nd so there is more incentive to try and come first. The new qualifying system looks great aswell and it really does have a F1 feel to it with all 31 drivers out on track, then it goes down to the 20 fastest, then the 10 fastest. It works really well for F1 so i see no reason why it wont work well for the V8 Supercars.

PS Mike whats wrong with the name V8 Supercars? :unsure:

Woo V8supercars :clap3: , long time viewer of the supercars!!! love the grunt of the V8's. My man is Jason Bright now driving for his on team at fujistsu racing (suicide) instead of FPR who will IMP have a superb year.

also note the new point structure of the series, which rewards pace insted of consistency like last year

and the new qualifying rules which are very similar now to F1 qualie :naughty:

Out of curiosity where did you get the races from?

SpeedTV here in the US. The only problem is that the races have been edited* :angry: But they've left in more than enough of each race (75% I'd say).

PS Mike whats wrong with the name V8 Supercars? :unsure:

I think the 'Supercars' part is a bit cheesy. I have an aversion to anything with the word 'super' in it. ^_^ And yeah, the cars run very close and it is indeed what racing fans want to watch. I've always thought F1 was akin to a chess game whilst V8s are more like Football/Soccer. Now imagine if we could inject a little Football into a chess match :eusa_think:

*Anyone who edits a race should be keelhauled. Twice.

SpeedTV here in the US. The only problem is that the races have been edited* :angry: But they've left in more than enough of each race (75% I'd say).

I think the 'Supercars' part is a bit cheesy. I have an aversion to anything with the word 'super' in it. ^_^ And yeah, the cars run very close and it is indeed what racing fans want to watch. I've always thought F1 was akin to a chess game whilst V8s are more like Football/Soccer. Now imagine if we could inject a little Football into a chess match :eusa_think:

*Anyone who edits a race should be keelhauled. Twice.

Better an edited race than none at all ;)

I'm glad that you like the series Mike :D

The first race of the 2007 season is this weekend, kicking off in Adelaide always one of the best races of the year.

There are probably going to be torrents after each race so you might be able to get the full version that way and that also has the advantage of being up to date with what is currently going on.

Nice ride!! I wish they sold either the ford or the holden here in the states....decent styling and far better than the crap we see on the road everyday...

Nice ride!! I wish they sold either the ford or the holden here in the states....decent styling and far better than the crap we see on the road everyday...

They are going to. The new Pontiac G8 is a Holden Commodore SSV

They handle really well for their size and weight too, much better than their american V8 counterparts.

My dad has a XR8 and it handles pretty well, goes pretty good too.

So how is the Tom Walkinshaw issue going to affect things? Losing the Holdens isn't going to look good. It'll make the series look a bit silly.

So how is the Tom Walkinshaw issue going to affect things? Losing the Holdens isn't going to look good. It'll make the series look a bit silly.

I didnt realise you kept up to date on V8 Supercar politics. In regard to what you were saying there was never any problem with Holden as a brand in the V8 Supercars. The group that run the V8 Supercars were looking into The Holden Racing Team (HRT) and the Toll HSV Dealer Team were in trouble as it states in the rules that no one person or organisation can run more than one team and the organisers of the series had reason to believe that Tom Walkinshaw owned both teams. The organisers threatened to revoke the two teams racing licences unless they provied the paperwork to prove that they are infact two completely seperate teams. As far as i know they have both done this and will both line up on the grid at Adelaide later this week.

Except that the Holden's about 1000x better looking.

I agree with you there but you cant blame Holden as they just send the cars over too America. It is Pontiac which makes the cosmetic changes.

I didnt realise you kept up to date on V8 Supercar politics. In regard to what you were saying there was never any problem with Holden as a brand in the V8 Supercars. The group that run the V8 Supercars were looking into The Holden Racing Team (HRT) and the Toll HSV Dealer Team were in trouble as it states in the rules that no one person or organisation can run more than one team and the organisers of the series had reason to believe that Tom Walkinshaw owned both teams. The organisers threatened to revoke the two teams racing licences unless they provied the paperwork to prove that they are infact two completely seperate teams. As far as i know they have both done this and will both line up on the grid at Adelaide later this week.

Some more information on the topic of V8 Supercar team ownership.

The Holden Racing Team will be on the grid at this weekend's Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, having accepted an ultimatum from Touring Car Entrants Group Australia (TEGA) to resolve its outstanding control and ownership issues.

HRT has been given a final reprieve of 14 days to provide evidence that lead driver Mark Skaife is the team owner through his company Skaife Sports, TEGA said in a statement.

Teams in the V8 Supercars Series must be independent and there were concerns HRT and Toll Racing were too closely related under the control of British businessman Tom Walkinshaw.

He was forced to divest both teams when financial troubles hit his British operations.

Source: Holden cleared to race V8s in Adelaide

Marcos Ambrose is #1 for me.

Double champion after only about 5 years in the sport.

I love V8 Supercars. It starts this Saturday, i'll be tuning in for sure.

Marcos Ambrose is #1 for me.

Double champion after only about 5 years in the sport.

I love V8 Supercars. It starts this Saturday, i'll be tuning in for sure.

Do you currently live in Australia?

Nope.

Never been actually.

---

I just watch it on Motors Tv.

I'd like to think that they'll show it live or soon after.