Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

Jpm Takes The Win

The Pie man drove a blinder of a race to win his 1st Nascar Busch road race.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/busch/nascar/35755/

I was no fan of the pie man in F1 but he raced his heart out to win and even punted his teamate out of 1st.

The Pie man drove a blinder of a race to win his 1st Nascar Busch road race.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/busch/nascar/35755/

I was no fan of the pie man in F1 but he raced his heart out to win and even punted his teamate out of 1st.

JPM is clearly very good on the road courses, I guess F1 is a good enough training ground for a road course! :lol:

Boris Said also did very well in the same race. Just a few years ago I watched Boris Said drive a Triumph Spitfire to an SCCA Championship! Interesting to see him in the Busch Series now.

I wonder how long it will take JPM to start mastering the ovals too!

I didn't see the race, but Bruce phoned me during to give me the news (thanks man!). Monty is good on ovals too (CART was half ovals during his time there and he won many of them) he just needs to come to grips with the cars and the unique style of tin-top racing.

Bruce & Mike could I ask for your thought on Marcos Ambrose? He is driving in the Busch series with Wood Brothers / JTG Racing. He seems to be doing well for his second season in the States. He drove in the Craftsman Truck series last year, and has won 2 back to back V8 Supercar Championships.

Bruce & Mike could I ask for your thought on Marcos Ambrose? He is driving in the Busch series with Wood Brothers / JTG Racing. He seems to be doing well for his second season in the States. He drove in the Craftsman Truck series last year, and has won 2 back to back V8 Supercar Championships.

I just did a quick check and apparently Ambrose came 8th in the same race that Montoya won and is the highest placed Rookie on the points table. I still have no idea why he would want to go to Nascar but even though i dont agree with his decision i still want him to do well.

So not alot has changed then.

To be honest, you hear his name mentioned as being from Oz and he's had a couple of good drives, but right now he's under the radar so to speak.

I still have no idea why he would want to go to Nascar but even though i dont agree with his decision i still want him to do well.

MONEY!

So not alot has changed then.

NOPE!

To be honest, you hear his name mentioned as being from Oz and he's had a couple of good drives, but right now he's under the radar so to speak.

Yeah Marcos is trying to keep a low profile, well that's what we are hearing back here in Australia anyway. If he continues to drive like he has been in his rookie year in the Busch series people will be talking about him sooner rather than later.

Keep an eye on him Bruce, & tell us what you think of him later on in the season.

Oval racin' ain't like dustin' crops, boy.

Wait, wait, I'm okay now.....

....Ambrose is in the same category that Said, Allmendinger and Montoya are in: no tin-top oval experience. Your brain tells you that being a road-racing superstar should let you be a hot-sh!t oval racer (after all, they're only going round in circles, right?) but the opposite is true. There are a whole new set of skills and instincts you need to develop that road-racing just cant prepare you for. Full out power, lap after lap, barely kissing the walls at +200mph, rear-drafting, side-drafting, rubbing and bumping, dealing with a loose rear and a looming concrete wall at +200mph, knowing when to pit for tires, reading the changing track to decide which line is faster at any given moment, etc. Ambrose is learning all this and just the fact that he and Montoya are struggling should tell anyone just how difficult this series is. Ambrose isn't with a top-flight team, but it's good enough to be higher with a more experienced oval-racing driver.

If you rate Ambrose, then you must, by default, rate the oval racers that beat him every weekend. Most may not know their way around Adelaide but they've got their own skills. JV and Monty have repeatedly said NASCAR is not a step down because it's a totally different form of racing....and they're right.

In the history of oval racing, very few europeans have done well. Clark, Fittipaldi, Hill, Mansell (fewer yet have done well in a tin-top). F1's best have shown they can tackle ovals and win on them....but only the best can do it. I will be watching to see if Ambrose is a Mansell or a Said. One went on to greatness, the other is wallowing in 20th every weekend. Winning at a road-race is expected for the road-racing drivers like Ambrose or Montoya. I await their showings on the true test of grit....ovals.

EDIT: Think of it like this: All racing needs courage, but road-racing needs precision as well as courage, say 50-50%. Oval racing needs 20% precision and 80% courage. We Americans may be many things, bad and good, but one thing we have is big balls. Oval racing is American and to succeed you need to have very big balls. 50% courage wont cut it. You need Mansell-like balls, lap after lap. Does Ambrose have this? He's an Aussie so I'll bet he does!

Ambrose is a very talented driver but would imagine it would take years to master oval racing. While i think Oval racing is boring i do acknowledge that you have to be reasonably talented to do it. That said i imagine a V8 Supercar driver could more easily go to Nascar and be competitive than it would be for a Nascar driver to go to the V8 Supercars and be competitive.

Ambrose is a very talented driver but would imagine it would take years to master oval racing. While i think Oval racing is boring i do acknowledge that you have to be reasonably talented to do it. That said i imagine a V8 Supercar driver could more easily go to Nascar and be competitive than it would be for a Nascar driver to go to the V8 Supercars and be competitive.

Depends on the driver. Stewart, Gordon, Harvick just to name a few NASCAR drivers, typically do very well on road-courses. I would expect them to do very well if they tried V8s. Most, though, would struggle. Oval racing is boring to watch for the most part, but it's also very exciting to watch. I usually watch the first 30 laps or less and a few laps in the middle and then the final 30 laps. If it's a short track, I'll likely watch the whole thing. Those short tracks are very exciting with lots of racing.

Now that I'm hooked on V8s, I'll be keeping an eye on Ambrose.

Truthfully, they're basically the same. Small differences in weight, but the power is pretty similar. I'd give the edge to the V8s because they seem a bit more nimble. This is a tough question because V8s have far more talent driving the cars on road courses than does NASCAR. This may make the V8s look better and trimmer than they actually are.

Ambrose came in 8th. That's a very good result for a somewhat good team. I'd say they handle pretty similar for him to have gotten that result.

Oval racin' ain't like dustin' crops, boy.

Wait, wait, I'm okay now.....

....Ambrose is in the same category that Said, Allmendinger and Montoya are in: no tin-top oval experience. Your brain tells you that being a road-racing superstar should let you be a hot-sh!t oval racer (after all, they're only going round in circles, right?) but the opposite is true. There are a whole new set of skills and instincts you need to develop that road-racing just cant prepare you for. Full out power, lap after lap, barely kissing the walls at +200mph, rear-drafting, side-drafting, rubbing and bumping, dealing with a loose rear and a looming concrete wall at +200mph, knowing when to pit for tires, reading the changing track to decide which line is faster at any given moment, etc. Ambrose is learning all this and just the fact that he and Montoya are struggling should tell anyone just how difficult this series is. Ambrose isn't with a top-flight team, but it's good enough to be higher with a more experienced oval-racing driver.

If you rate Ambrose, then you must, by default, rate the oval racers that beat him every weekend. Most may not know their way around Adelaide but they've got their own skills. JV and Monty have repeatedly said NASCAR is not a step down because it's a totally different form of racing....and they're right.

In the history of oval racing, very few europeans have done well. Clark, Fittipaldi, Hill, Mansell (fewer yet have done well in a tin-top). F1's best have shown they can tackle ovals and win on them....but only the best can do it. I will be watching to see if Ambrose is a Mansell or a Said. One went on to greatness, the other is wallowing in 20th every weekend. Winning at a road-race is expected for the road-racing drivers like Ambrose or Montoya. I await their showings on the true test of grit....ovals.

EDIT: Think of it like this: All racing needs courage, but road-racing needs precision as well as courage, say 50-50%. Oval racing needs 20% precision and 80% courage. We Americans may be many things, bad and good, but one thing we have is big balls. Oval racing is American and to succeed you need to have very big balls. 50% courage wont cut it. You need Mansell-like balls, lap after lap. Does Ambrose have this? He's an Aussie so I'll bet he does!

Good post Mike :thbup:

Depends on the driver. Stewart, Gordon, Harvick just to name a few NASCAR drivers, typically do very well on road-courses. I would expect them to do very well if they tried V8s. Most, though, would struggle. Oval racing is boring to watch for the most part, but it's also very exciting to watch. I usually watch the first 30 laps or less and a few laps in the middle and then the final 30 laps. If it's a short track, I'll likely watch the whole thing. Those short tracks are very exciting with lots of racing.

Now that I'm hooked on V8s, I'll be keeping an eye on Ambrose.

Agree

Go Marcos Ambrose!

Equally, go Montoya!

Pretty good result for the both of them and now should have a little less pressure on them.

Seems JPM is settling in quicker than we expected him to.

Go Marcos Ambrose!

Equally, go Montoya!

Pretty good result for the both of them and now should have a little less pressure on them.

Seems JPM is settling in quicker than we expected him to.

Hmmm..I would say Monty now has more pressure to deliver on the ovals.

Very good article, Bruce! A co-worker was calling Monty's move 'cheating' and I couldn't help but smile. Cheating? To long-time stock car fans that wasn't cheating, that was racing. It's a shame that racing has gotten to a point where a move like Montoya's is 'controversial'. It seems most current race fans don't truly understand the essence of racing (at least as I, and many longstanding fans, do).

I can easily remember Dale Earnhardt pulling moves like Monty's and being hailed by countless fans for his 'balls'.

Have you guys heard Ambrose's new nickname amongst the NASCAR drivers? "Kangaroo Meat" - penned by Kevin Harvick.

Why cant people come up with more original nike names for Australians playing sport abroard.

Hmmm..I would say Monty now has more pressure to deliver on the ovals.

Very good article, Bruce! A co-worker was calling Monty's move 'cheating' and I couldn't help but smile. Cheating? To long-time stock car fans that wasn't cheating, that was racing. It's a shame that racing has gotten to a point where a move like Montoya's is 'controversial'. It seems most current race fans don't truly understand the essence of racing (at least as I, and many longstanding fans, do).

I can easily remember Dale Earnhardt pulling moves like Monty's and being hailed by countless fans for his 'balls'.

Indeed, or as Robert Duvall said in "Days of Thunder" "rubbin is racin"