Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Oh Ron,you Should've Known Better!

Dennis happy with 'control freak' label

When Kimi Raikkonen derided former boss Ron Dennis as "a control freak" earlier this year, it naturally sparked headlines as well as a few wry grins.

But not least among them was Dennis himself, perhaps in an effort to portray a different persona to the one so often seen in Formula One.

"I smiled when I heard he said I was a control freak because I am - I don't mind fine attention to detail," remarked McLaren's team principal.

Dennis is renowned as a stickler for precision; some would say he is also humourless such is his drive for perfection, mirrored by his team as they give off an aloof air in the paddock.

Yet over the course of the last few months a wind of change would appear to have swept through McLaren-Mercedes.

They have an all-new driver line-up, an intriguing combination of reigning double world champion Fernando Alonso and British rookie Lewis Hamilton.

McLaren also have new title sponsors - only their third in the last 30 years - in communications giants vodafone.

In an attempt for greater public appeal, McLaren produced one of the most spectacular car launches in Formula One history earlier this year.

Alonso and Hamilton took to the streets of Valencia on a bespoke circuit in front of more than 200,000 fans for a few parade laps in last season's car - albeit sporting the new vodafone livery - followed by a breathtaking fireworks display.

It is estimated the cost of the launch was around

"He understands things about the racing car that very few drivers have ever taken the effort to learn.

"He might not be the most experienced driver when he starts the Australian GP, but he will be a lot more knowledgeable than most of them about many, many subjects, and super fit as well."

I think these last two paragraphs were for meant for Kimi's ears. What do you think?