Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Mclaren Sure Hamilton Will Be Champion

McLaren have no doubts that Lewis Hamilton will be a Formula One world champion following his impressive performance at the Australian Grand Prix.

The British rookie, who has been backed by McLaren for the past 10 years, completed a sensational debut weekend by leading the race for four laps on his way to third place, the first podium by a debutant driver since Jacques Villeneuve in the 1996 season.

Following Hamilton's display in Melbourne, McLaren's F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has no doubts that the 22-year-old is set for a phenomenal career.

"I think the truth is that the pressure that Lewis had on him, the media quite obviously take a phenomenal interest in Lewis and what he has achieved so far, but he still had to come here and deliver," Whitmarsh told reporters after the race.

"If he had flopped today and made a mistake then we all know what the headlines would have looked like.

"To come through that, make a good start, be out-jumped by the BMWs and respond to that, react, have the presence of mind to react and get to the outside line, execute without taking risks the overtaking he did at the first corner was fantastic.

"Throughout the race he had enormous pressure, he didn't let that tell and did a fantastic job. Anyone who is here now must know we are at the start of a career that is going to be phenomenal.

"He will be a world champion, it is just a question of time now."

Hamilton led teammate Fernando Alonso for several laps after making a brave start, in which he passed the two-time champion around the outside of the first corner.

Alonso eventually moved ahead during the second rounds of pitstops, after Hamilton lost time due to the backmarkers.

Whitmarsh reckons even without traffic, Alonso was likely to finish ahead.

"I think the primary reason he didn't beat Fernando, he did have a little bit of that, but the strategy we had predetermined gave Fernando a couple of extra laps at that last stop and that is when you can take some time," he added.

"There was a little bit of traffic, and he has got to learn to deal with that - although sometimes you cannot learn you have got to rely on some cooperation. Fernando is a class act, he is the benchmark at the moment, so the fact he is racing a double world champion is absolutely amazing

It was a superb performance by the kid and I really hope he does well. Right now I like him but I just hope the British press dont get a hold of him and go way way overboard - Unfortunately that's likely to happen.

They said all this about Jenson after his first race...

I must admit - I'm bored of this already. He did a great race and he certainly looks like a talent, but it's all the hype about him before he'd even turned a wheel in anger that gets on my nerves. Blundell yesterday said "he's the new king of British motorsport" after he qualified 4th in what is the 2nd best car in the field. That's just cringeworthy.

I know it was his debut, but we all know he is good - that's why he's in a McLaren. For gods sake give it a rest and let him get on with it.

If he doesn't let instant success go over his head, he is in for a great career.

Agreed... If it wasnt for alonso's gr8 pit work he would hv finished 2nd and that sato too was culprit

Edit : Now officially Hamilton is in my fav drivers list @ no3 after Kimi and Massa

Agreed... If it wasnt for alonso's gr8 pit work he would hv finished 2nd and that sato too was culprit

Edit : Now officially Hamilton is in my fav drivers list @ no3 after Kimi and Massa

Ditto.

Definatly a talent but the British Press and Itv are getting really annoying now and Ive decided not to watch the before races anayst and after race analyst too. But he definatly will have a great career in front of him, Just dont get to carried away, Theres still more races and more thing Lewis will expereince and learn.

They registered to change the name from "ITV Sport" to "The Lewis Hamilton fanatics show". Bet they will be showing the same interview with LH they whored for the qualifying, race and re-runs for the rest of the year or something.

They registered to change the name from "ITV Sport" to "The Lewis Hamilton fanatics show". Bet they will be showing the same interview with LH they whored for the qualifying, race and re-runs for the rest of the year or something.

They only ask the same, mindless questions everytime they speak to him anyway. The number of times I've heard "what will it be like on the grid?" or "how are you coping with the pressue?" in the last 10 days doesn't bear thinking about. I even know what the answer Lewis will give is before he's opened his gob, becuase I've heard it so many times already!

I bet the German media was just as bad when Schumi started winning, as where a lot of other media corporations and their various drivers. Its natural really. And this time, I think the praise was justified.

I bet the German media was just as bad when Schumi started winning, as where a lot of other media corporations and their various drivers. Its natural really. And this time, I think the praise was justified.

Thats a fair point, all media would be like this with their home driver.

I'm gonna follow Hamilton as one of my favorite drivers, and cheer as he takes >3 World Championships! :lol:

He almost beat a 2 time WC on debut :o:D

Some people will not accept this fact ;)

Geez it's only one race and at that he was twice just inches away from disaster, Remember Nico R. after the 1st race last year? The same could happen.

true - but it was a mighty effort for one's first f1 race! at his age he is supposed to only get better and is so far from his peak that it almost makes the hype justified.

the trouble with doing so well so early is that the expectation is now massive, and is just going to get bigger and bigger. When he doesnt have a good race, (and that WILL happen people!) its going to seem like a huge disappointment, so I hope he can keep up this kind of performance.

1 thing to point out though, this was the first time he'd ever been to melbourne - imagine what he will be like at a circuit like siverstone or istanbul, where he is familiar with the circuit and dominated in GP2? Will it make a difference?

a huge difference i'm sure! i can't wait to see him race at silverstone, the hype will be tremendous so we'll really see what he's made of.

one thing's for sure there is another really exciting driver to watch on the f1 grid!

People need to manage it. Don't put him under unnecessary pressure, and he will perform