Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 FANatic

A Lap Around The Ring In A F2005

ok, i am planing on creating a series of videos for F1 tracks, there will be two series and I will try and post about one every 2 weeks until I run out of tracks

I just bought the game rFactor and there a a few really cool F1 mods the best is from CTDP, they make one fore each season, so far they have only finished with 05 but will release 06 in some time. This is the main reason I'm using the 05 cars.

Here are the two series I will do

1: Historical tracks, this is where the first video falls. I will take a car around the track and will then compose a film of mainly c#ckpit and some tv camera views. This is to show what drivers then and now really have to go through when driving these tracks.

2: Before each race this season, excluding Melburn, seeing as It has already happened, and Shanghai, Fuji, Hungry, France, and Monaco, because there are no tracks for rFactor that do justice to these locations, I will release a video of a lap in c#ckpit view. This I will start with Sepang. Since I will be in Germany for the races of France GB and Germany, I will release all these videos at the same time I release Indy.

As a notice, I will not try and make the laps as fast as possible but have the best lines as possible, this means that most of the time I will drive with far more down force then real F1 drivers drive. I will also have TC and driver aids like Anti lock brakes and Stability control on because I am racing with a Keyboard and so do not have the fine control I would have if I had a wheel and peddles.

----------------------------------

Anyway, here is the First video, The Green Hell

(the video is a bit compressed to the sides because I use a wide screen monitor and so film in WS but you tube makes it 4:3)

Edit: if someone has an FTP that can host these for me, I can then post the full 720x480 versions that look much better, they would be about 25 megs each to DL and the Ring one is roughly 73 megs

What a lovely idea, and a real help to anyone here who doesn't actually know how the tracks look from the drivers perspective. You tend to take it for granted that you know where a driver is when you see it on the television because you have raced it on a sim. It was nice to Schumi in action again too! :(

I can't wait till we get to see the lap from Heidfield thats gonna be something else.How restrictive is the demo of rFactor? if it has some of the classic tracks I would like to give it a whirl

Oh and if I do buy the full game, where does one get the 2005 mod from?

Superb stuff there - a real fast circuit, oh how I'd love to see a race on a circuit like that now.

Two questions:

1. How many takes did it take to get the lap right without mistakes? :D

2. Whats that game called?

if you want to watch a hi res version check it out here, you will need divx web player installed though

http://stage6.divx.com/members/13019/videos/1160057

@shane, the demo is very restrictive and does not really represent the game

you should check out this website for what the game really can do, its kinda like the BF series, good, but mods make it exigent

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/

the best f1 mod for the game, I think is CTDP f1 2005, they are working on the 2006 season now. they are always about a season behind but it doesn't matter because the mod is so good. F1 champions mod is good too.

@moose, I took 20 laps just to get familiar with it, to learn all the corners and how and where to brake and accelerate, then I took about 10 laps to set up the car to where I just liked it, then I did 3 hot laps and I took the 2nd one for the vid. For the other videos I have made though, Sepang and Bahrain which I hill release on the race weekend, it took me only like 10 laps to set up the car and get a good lap.

Had a play now. Its a hard bugger to get to grips with

yea, the cars in the demo handle like s##t, I also have most of the driver aids on full because I only use keyboard and mouse and when you do that you only have full throttle or full brake you cant really change how much you give of each. Pretty much the only reason I bought it was for F1 mods

How do you get the nordschleife... is it included in the game or in one of the mods?

you can download all the good, and not so good tracks from the link I posted above, http://www.rfactorcentral.com/

the game doesn't come with that much stuff, most of the content is mods, but there are alot of good mods with the same production value as the game itself, and a lot of the tracks are converted from GT4, but rFactor allows you to do so much more physics wise. The game is really base on realistic handling, you have to take care of tire temp and ware, engine cooling, down force levels, brake bias, over/understear, and all these things. It is a real race sim, and even with the driver aids on, driving one of those F1 cars is no walk in the park.

Well I decided to get it. Any tips for driving, At the moment I cannot seem to do Barcelona in under 1:30 and thats with steering aids on. With them off I seem to hit the 1:35-150 range

I have never driven Barcelona, but pretty much its just try and stay in the racing line

also, look at http://www.formula1.com and look at the interactive track maps, try and set the car up so that at 3 or 4 points in game you are going at the same speed as the map says the cars are goin, then finaly, practice.

Well I have given the Nordschleife itself a try. Seems to be afair amount of clipping bugs, but its Ok if you manage not to spin