Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Hamilton Eyes Championship In Three Years

McLaren's sensation Lewis Hamilton aims to become a world champion in Formula One in three years time from now. In his first ever F1 race the Briton finished third, the best debut performance by a British racer in 41 years.

Hamilton enjoyed his F1 debut a lot. The McLaren driver was very competitive and is now ready for the next challenge. "Formula One is the highest challenge I've ever had. I am very competitive and winning is what I want to do," Hamilton told The Mirror. "My dream is to win and be come a world champion. Three years is a good time to put on my goal to win a world title."

I wasn't too hot about Hamilton due largely to the hype surrounding him. But after what he dis this week-end, what can I say??, + he seems down to earth and contrary to a lot of drivers he set himself realistic target.

This hype over a rookie driver is so stupid, my gawd it's only one race under his belt........................

As with everything in sport, it is a case of Wait and see.

Nice to see him setting achievable targets for himself, and not rediculous ones.

Theres no hardm on him setting his sites high. "Shoot for the moon..." and all that. Granted he's only had one race and a good one at that but he's in a solid car, he's got experienced people around him, he's got talent and so setting the goal is not going to do him any harm. If he was only saying my aim is to win a race in the next two years then I'd be more worried.

Setting them high is good, set them unrealistically high, and you could just imagine how bad the British media would be on his a$$ if he didn't deliver

Nothing wrong with Hamilton's ambition. I wonder if this is a tacit admission that Macca don't have a car good enough to beat Ferrari? Just kidding! It's refreshing that he's speaking honestly instead of speaking diplomatically.

Yeah, it is for us but as Shane says, maybe he should have tried to lower media expectations rather than raise them.

I think Lewis has a good chance of challenging for the the championship in a few years time. A podium on his first race is pretty impressive but one race dosn't prove anything

Yes, LH's new fans are making Mike look like an atheist :lol:

Amen.

Truthfully, Hammy did well, but he made some mistakes during the race and qualy. I'm not concerned with those as he seems a mature driver right from the word 'go'. He'll pull it all together and start giving Alonso a run for his money, as I predicted, by Spain.

Ron Dennis himself thinks he can win one before the end of the season, and that is a pretty big prediction. I hope he fulfills it because if he doesn't, hes gonna have the British media monkey on his back.

Suddenly becoming the forerunning British driver is a big monkey to put on the back of such a young and relatively inexperienced driver.

Amen.

Truthfully, Hammy did well, but he made some mistakes during the race and qualy. I'm not concerned with those as he seems a mature driver right from the word 'go'. He'll pull it all together and start giving Alonso a run for his money, as I predicted, by Spain.

Indeed he made some mistakes but nothing to the scale other rookie's have made in the recent past, Lewis clearly has an instinct for racing like Alonso and will go on to achieve alot but I think for now his role in McLaren is to learn from Alonso. Alonso is the talent for McLaren now but Lewis is the talent for the future which as an Alonso fan is a little unnerving but hopefully they get on so well they keep such a friendly competative nature and push each other to higher levels.

I think the future for F1 is bright based on the current driving talents of Alonso and Kimi, and the future one of Hamilton. Never forget however that both kimi and Alonso are very young too, so if FIA stops being the wrench in the monkey works, and starts giving more mechanical grip based rules, we could be in another golden age ala 80s and 90s

remember Montoya in 2001? Everyone thought he was going to be the next big superstar in his debut season, especially after his great display at Brazil 01. But look where that ended up. People are getting waaaaaaay too far ahead of themselves

remember Montoya in 2001? Everyone thought he was going to be the next big superstar in his debut season, especially after his great display at Brazil 01. But look where that ended up. People are getting waaaaaaay too far ahead of themselves

:clap3: That's the perfect example!

To be fair, Lewis is a lot more focused and dedicated than Montoya was

But its only been 1 race so i dont think that statement can really be made yet, Lewis hasnt endured the hardships of a full F1 season, he may lose focus. I doubt it very much, but its a possibility which is why everyone needs to be brought back down to earth.

Impressive debut races have happened many times in the past. 'Future champion' is a phrase thrown around far too often

As a button fan you are as good a person as any to provide testimony to that :P

As a button fan you are as good a person as any to provide testimony to that :P

Button is indeed an example of a driver who after his debut season, the media kept saying he was a future champion etc etc, but nothing has come of it in terms of actual results.

of course with Button, in my eyes, he IS now capable of challenging for a championship!!

Yeah I think so too. He is already the fittest driver in the paddock according to Mark Blundell! That impressed me no end.

But its only been 1 race so i dont think that statement can really be made yet, Lewis hasnt endured the hardships of a full F1 season, he may lose focus. I doubt it very much, but its a possibility which is why everyone needs to be brought back down to earth.

Impressive debut races have happened many times in the past. 'Future champion' is a phrase thrown around far too often

Fantastic point, Jem! :thbup: