Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

Indian Gp

Motor racing-New Delhi keen to host F1 race in 2009

NEW DELHI, India, March 21 (Reuters) - India's hopes of hosting a Formula One grand prix as early as 2009 gained a boost on Wednesday when Delhi's chief minister welcomed the idea of having a street race like the one in Monaco.

"If it comes to India, which I hope it will, I'd really welcome it," Sheila Dixit told reporters after her meeting with leading Indian businessman Vijay Mallya, whose Kingfisher Airlines is a new sponsor of the Toyota F1 team.

"It certainly is feasible. We had an extremely positive meeting with the chief minister, who is entirely supportive of the idea," Mallya said.

"One of the areas which we believe would be beautiful and has a lot of heritage value is in and around the India Gate," Mallya added.

Toyola driver Ralf Schumacher, on a visit to India for the new team sponsor, said: "Clearly from what I have seen, it will be a great event. I am looking forward to it and hopefully it will happen."

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is keen to expand the sport's reach further in Asia, with South Korea already promised a grand prix for 2010 and Singapore hoping for a street race as well.

India, with a booming economy and more than 500 million people under the age of 20, is a strong candidate.

The country had a first Formula One driver in Narain Karthikeyan, now a Williams tester, in 2005.

"Yes, cricket is like a religion in this country. I am not saying 1.1 billion people are going to watch F-1. But there is more than enough appetite out there," Mallya said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_MOTORSPOR...OM6972220070321

Indian F1 bogey all over again

MUMBAI: The Indian GP bogey has been raised again. Vijay Mallya along with Toyota F1 driver Ralf Schumacher will meet Delhi CM Sheila Dixit in the Capital on Wednesday evening. Mallya claimed that they will discuss the possibility of Rajpath being used for a street race.

When reminded of the futile attempts in the past to bring an F1 race to India Mallya asserted that the difference this time is him.

I don't mind where they host them, as long as we get decent tracks

a street race in New Delhi would be fantastic!

So would a race in........I don't know, say Ho Chi Min city :rolleyes:

I was in Delhi a couple months ago and running around the India Gate area (the proposed area for the street circuit). I remember thinking about how the street circuit could be laid out. It would we a great setting for a F1 race. the main straight between the India gate and Predential Palace, would look super!

It would be just friggin awesome !

Saw PD's post just below this - he speaks I think, from not having seen Delhi before.... and just to be ornery I guess.

It would be just friggin awesome !

Saw PD's post just below this - he speaks I think, from not having seen Delhi before.... and just to be ornery I guess.

He is just not a big fan of the race coming to India and probably leaving europe.

He is just not a big fan of the race coming to India and probably leaving europe.

am not suprised with his response, I expected him to say ' who gives a rats arse!'! :unsure:

He is American so I doubt he cares about whether theyre European or not.

And the US grand prix should be held at Laguna Seca not indy :P

We had rumours that Hyderabad would have a circuit, then Nagpur now its Delhi. :coffee:

Why cant we have a good and proper circuit so that it could be also used for different types of races.

He is American so I doubt he cares about whether theyre European or not.

And the US grand prix should be held at Laguna Seca not indy :P

No, I just think that Mexico or Argentina should get their races back before others.

No, I just think that Mexico or Argentina should get their races back before others.

Actually, I thought that a street circuit in Delhi (or Bombay) would be great and was quite excited about the idea. But if you put it that way...then down with the Indian GP! I want an Argentinian GP...NOW!!!

We had rumours that Hyderabad would have a circuit, then Nagpur now its Delhi. :coffee:

Why cant we have a good and proper circuit so that it could be also used for different types of races.

It was also Bombay for some time..... But Delhi seems to be more real due to CM's etc and it could come under the commenwealth budget clearence so....

Anyways,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy...

It was also Bombay for some time..... But Delhi seems to be more real due to CM's etc and it could come under the commenwealth budget clearence so....

Anyways,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy...

Thanks bro !

btw what's your name ?

No it wouldn't. It would result in a crap circuit. I seriously have no clue why autosport don't do their research before publishing such ridiculous articles, or what Vijay Mallya is smoking. India Gate isn't Albert park, it is an important road right in the middle of Delhi. And Delhi isn't Monaco where peple don't do any work anyway and are more than happy to close down their streets for a couple of weeks so they can see some cars go past while they lounge arond in their hotels or their yachts. How on earth do they plan to shut down traffic in the middle of Delhi on one of the busiest roads for two weeks? Notwthstanding the fact that those roads are unsuitable for making a circuit, there isn't an inch of gradient or banking until you get close to the President's house.

There is also the small matter of who will foot the bill - Bernie certianly isn't going to pitch in out of sheer goodwill. Fortunately we don't live in a caliphate, so there is no way that the government can pay. If some businessmen do it, it will just result in ridiculous over the top pices (and I have no clue who is going to turn up to watch).

This is an atrocious idea from start to finish, pushed by clueless fools who know no better. I don't want F1 to come anywhere near one of the nicest places in Delhi, Bernie can bugger of elsewhere or find an empty spot. The possible political ramifications of even discussing an F1 race are worth many pages by themselves. Politics in India is purely adversarial and a matter of desperate vote mongering. An F1 race in a poor o****ry is easy pickings. F1 isn't cricket, there is no popular support, nor will there ever be any.

Bombay? Where? In the sea?

does any one remember Chandrababu Naidu( former Andra CM) meeting Ecclestone before he lost the elections.

He even offered 1500 acres of land as an extension of the new international airport. He went to Italy and personally met Bernie but nothing much came out. :(

krish

No it wouldn't. It would result in a crap circuit. I seriously have no clue why autosport don't do their research before publishing such ridiculous articles, or what Vijay Mallya is smoking. India Gate isn't Albert park, it is an important road right in the middle of Delhi. And Delhi isn't Monaco where peple don't do any work anyway and are more than happy to close down their streets for a couple of weeks so they can see some cars go past while they lounge arond in their hotels or their yachts. How on earth do they plan to shut down traffic in the middle of Delhi on one of the busiest roads for two weeks? Notwthstanding the fact that those roads are unsuitable for making a circuit, there isn't an inch of gradient or banking until you get close to the President's house.

There is also the small matter of who will foot the bill - Bernie certianly isn't going to pitch in out of sheer goodwill. Fortunately we don't live in a caliphate, so there is no way that the government can pay. If some businessmen do it, it will just result in ridiculous over the top pices (and I have no clue who is going to turn up to watch).

This is an atrocious idea from start to finish, pushed by clueless fools who know no better. I don't want F1 to come anywhere near one of the nicest places in Delhi, Bernie can bugger of elsewhere or find an empty spot. The possible political ramifications of even discussing an F1 race are worth many pages by themselves. Politics in India is purely adversarial and a matter of desperate vote mongering. An F1 race in a poor o****ry is easy pickings. F1 isn't cricket, there is no popular support, nor will there ever be any.

this is why I didnt talk much about it! :D

But Cav, F1 is much much popular than you think, especially in the south. But the locals do miss sighting pictures of Shumi leaping and jumping in the pictures published in the local newspapers.

this is why I didnt talk much about it! :D

But Cav, F1 is much much popular than you think, especially in the south. But the locals do miss sighting pictures of Shumi leaping and jumping in the pictures published in the local newspapers.

Yep, south India is probably the most appropriate place, it is the only part of India where there has been some kind of open wheel racing for quite a while. People from the rest of India who can afford to buy a ticket can afford to fly down.

does any one remember Chandrababu Naidu( former Andra CM) meeting Ecclestone before he lost the elections.

He even offered 1500 acres of land as an extension of the new international airport. He went to Italy and personally met Bernie but nothing much came out. :(

krish

Yep. Talks of F1 circuit have been serious in the past 5 years, the initial proposal was to build in Calcutta, but it didnt work due to the road infrastructure. Example, Bernie didnt want the f1 cars being stuck in the trucks in a traffic jam for days.

But the Naidu was willing to do anything that it takes, and if you have been to Hyderbad, it will be easier to belive him. But he lost the next round of election, mainly because it seems he was helping only the rich!

we have a good viewer base in India compared to some other countries

We have more than 80-90 million viewers which is quite a big number and if we have a f1 driver racing them it would

definetly go up..

would Ecclestone want to let such a big viewer base ?

may be not, he would like to make some profit out of it.

we have a good viewer base in India compared to some other countries

We have more than 80-90 million viewers which is quite a big number and if we have a f1 driver racing them it would

definetly go up..

would Ecclestone want to let such a big viewer base ?

may be not, he would like to make some profit out of it.

yep! thats why he visited us! :P

Thanks bro !

btw what's your name ?

My name's Ankit / AJ whicheveer u like....

sorry for the late response(was in spring break)

Cav, viewership will come along with the track, adveertising will increase in F1(more money /commission for bernie). In china where was there even little interest in F1 before the shangai track?? F1 in India will be good, to what i have heard in ET, they will be making it in the area close to the commenwealth game site...

btw Welcome Back,

AJ sound good :)

Delhi is going to host CW games in 2011 so, we cant expect to have anything before 2010 ie almost 3 yrs.

dam that's too much time :frusty:

AJ sound good :)

Delhi is going to host CW games in 2011 so, we cant expect to have anything before 2010 ie almost 3 yrs.

dam that's too much time :frusty:

just enough to be back from uni, so... but maybe/hopefully they finish he track earlier and we can have it.