Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

Intteresting F1 Related Lunch

Hi Guys,

Im going for lunch with the Honda F1 team chief Mechanic Alistair Gibson tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get the latest scoop on the Honda team & Formula 1 in general.

Well I hope he doesn't lead you up the garden path, like last time.

Well I hope he doesn't lead you up the garden path, like last time.

My dad joked with him about the fact he said the 2007 car would be damn quick... He said they are going to re-develop the entire car by the Spanish GP.

The current car is officially a flop!

In fairness when he told me about the marvelous 2007 car it was before it had even been on the track.

BTW excuse my spelling of Interesting...

My dad joked with him about the fact he said the 2007 car would be damn quick... He said they are going to re-develop the entire car by the Spanish GP.

The current car is officially a flop!

In fairness when he told me about the marvelous 2007 car it was before it had even been on the track.

BTW excuse my spelling of Interesting...

I thought you just stuttered! :lol:

I thought you just stuttered! :lol:

NO... I Wwwwwwasn'ttt

Good point. That's an interesting question for him. How does Jenson's telemetry look compared to Rubens'?

Also, ask him if Super Aguri bought the intellectual property rights to last year's Honda. If so, that puppy is legal!

Ask him why they spent all winter comparing the telemetry of the Super Aguri's with their pukey tortoise and yet failed to spot that they had penned a lemon. Ask him if he would stay at a race again if his wife has another child. Ask him what really happened with David Richards.

Good point. That's an interesting question for him. How does Jenson's telemetry look compared to Rubens'?

Also, ask him if Super Aguri bought the intellectual property rights to last year's Honda. If so, that puppy is legal!

Another good question could be does Honda want to but the intellectual rights to the RA106 back!!!!!

Ask him why why why????....then pause, let it sink in abit. then ask again.... why why why???....he will get slightly suspicious. For the last time ask why why why??? hopefully by now he'll undertsand you're reffering to the livery....

Didi you guys check out the onboard footage on the livery, my god, it looks even worse from the driver's perspective....

Ask him who they'd prefare to drive for them, Alonso or Kimi.

Will def ask him this... If he says Kimi I wont tell you guys though... HAHAHA

As an engineer I

This is due to the fact that Rubens is the only driver in Formula 1 that brakes & Accelerates with his right foot.

Old school driving Rubens!! You are starting to like to me....

Will def ask him this... If he says Kimi I wont tell you guys though... HAHAHA

He is a good mate of my dads.

I will try remember your questions and fit them into a sentence somewhere :thbup:

My dad asked about that exact topic the other day. Alistair says while looking at the telemetry the team can always see that Jenson is a few hundredths of a sec quicker than Rubens on every heavy breaking/accelerating point in a corner... This is due to the fact that Rubens is the only driver in Formula 1 that brakes & Accelerates with his right foot.

I thought that when he went to Ferrari they forced him to learn to use both feet and he worked hard to do so. So either he went back to his old ways or... :eusa_think:

Wait a minute! Hold that man! Let's see who he really is!

*takes off RB's mask*

It's Ronald! The theme-park owner!

RB:"Yes, and I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

Hey Guys,

First of all, WOW, that was truly one of the most interesting lunches Ive ever had.

Its amazing to get firsthand knowledge into the world of F1.

I'll tell you some of the stuff & add in more as it comes to mind.

Email me if you want to know about sensitive topics like what exactly he thinks of the 2007 car so far... HAHA.

Anyhow, I asked him most of the questions you guys posted... Here is my favourate & Mike, You will like this more than anyone.

I asked if he was a team manager who would he sign up, Alonso or Raikkonen...

He said although they are both superb drivers he would undoubtedly take Alonso, He says he is sin a class of his own and has proved himself.

Heres the interesting part for Mike... He said another driver he would take ahead of Kimi is... Lewis Hamilton!

He says this guy is absolutely sensational and is a superstar in the making. Apparently Jenson Button is really feeling the pressure now as he is quickly becoming the Brits second favourate.

I asked him about the 2007 Honda and where it all went wrong, and he said it was a shock to everyone at Honda... Honda went for the completely new car as opposed to Bmw & Mclaren who both just did upgrades on their 2006 cars. The reason for the entire new upgrade is that Honda felt the 2006 car had reached its limits and that they wanted to beat Ferrari and challenge for the title this year.

He did say the car will be re-developed and by mid season will be highly competitive!

He showed me pictures of the new exhaust system which were really interesting... The pipes leave the engine, go forward post the driver then turn back 90 degrees and come back.

He said that on paper this design was brilliant but in theory although in a straight line its helped it has caused other problems.

the new system causes massive heat problems so a lot of new air intake ducts can be seen on the side pods.

Apparently in honda's first test, the fuel was becoming so hot from the exhausts in was boiling.

He said in a straight line the current Honda is significantly quicker than last seasons car, but in corners it is loosing rear downforce and thus using far too much traction control.

His prediction for the 2007 season is that no one will be able to catch the Ferrari. Raikkonen will beat the inconsistent Massa, And Alonso will win races in between and still push them to the flag.

He also said that Dave Richard's new team in 2007 will most probably be a Mclaren branded as Aston Martin.

As for Super Aguri, he says Spyker have absolutely no case against them as Honda sold all intellectual rights of the 2006 car to them and the car was re build by Super Aguri accordidng to the Honda plans.

However the Red Bull & Torra Rosa are apparently identical cars! He said Spyker will have no case against them since the concorde agreement stating you cannot buy/use other teams Chassis is NOT an FIA ruling but rather a agreement between teams which is unlikely to stand up in court.

I will post more as it comes to mind...

Here is a picture of Alistair, myself and a bike of his which is one of 5 in the world... A Bmw from 1935.

alwezcz2.jpg

Chat lata

Wez

Hey Guys,

First of all, WOW, that was truly one of the most interesting lunches Ive ever had.

Its amazing to get firsthand knowledge into the world of F1.

I'll tell you some of the stuff & add in more as it comes to mind.

Email me if you want to know about sensitive topics like what exactly he thinks of the 2007 car so far... HAHA.

Anyhow, I asked him most of the questions you guys posted... Here is my favourate & Mike, You will like this more than anyone.

I asked if he was a team manager who would he sign up, Alonso or Raikkonen...

He said although they are both superb drivers he would undoubtedly take Alonso, He says he is sin a class of his own and has proved himself.

Heres the interesting part for Mike... He said another driver he would take ahead of Kimi is... Lewis Hamilton!

He says this guy is absolutely sensational and is a superstar in the making. Apparently Jenson Button is really feeling the pressure now as he is quickly becoming the Brits second favourate.

I asked him about the 2007 Honda and where it all went wrong, and he said it was a shock to everyone at Honda... Honda went for the completely new car as opposed to Bmw & Mclaren who both just did upgrades on their 2006 cars. The reason for the entire new upgrade is that Honda felt the 2006 car had reached its limits and that they wanted to beat Ferrari and challenge for the title this year.

He did say the car will be re-developed and by mid season will be highly competitive!

He showed me pictures of the new exhaust system which were really interesting... The pipes leave the engine, go forward post the driver then turn back 90 degrees and come back.

He said that on paper this design was brilliant but in theory although in a straight line its helped it has caused other problems.

the new system causes massive heat problems so a lot of new air intake ducts can be seen on the side pods.

Apparently in honda's first test, the fuel was becoming so hot from the exhausts in was boiling.

He said in a straight line the current Honda is significantly quicker than last seasons car, but in corners it is loosing rear downforce and thus using far too much traction control.

His prediction for the 2007 season is that no one will be able to catch the Ferrari. Raikkonen will beat the inconsistent Massa, And Alonso will win races in between and still push them to the flag.

He also said that Dave Richard's new team in 2007 will most probably be a Mclaren branded as Aston Martin.

As for Super Aguri, he says Spyker have absolutely no case against them as Honda sold all intellectual rights of the 2006 car to them and the car was re build by Super Aguri accordidng to the Honda plans.

However the Red Bull & Torra Rosa are apparently identical cars! He said Spyker will have no case against them since the concorde agreement stating you cannot buy/use other teams Chassis is NOT an FIA ruling but rather a agreement between teams which is unlikely to stand up in court.

I will post more as it comes to mind...

Here is a picture of Alistair, myself and a bike of his which is one of 5 in the world... A Bmw from 1935.

alwezcz2.jpg

Chat lata

Wez

I don't like this guy. In fact, anyone who favour Alonso above Kimi, and now even Lewis, are obviously ignorant as to why geniuses actually exist..... :naughty:

On a serious note, thanks for the Honda and Super Aguri notes, worthwhile reading..

Are you the guy on the right Wez?

I don't like this guy. In fact, anyone who favour Alonso above Kimi, and now even Lewis, are obviously ignorant as to why geniuses actually exist..... :naughty:

On a serious note, thanks for the Honda and Super Aguri notes, worthwhile reading..

Are you the guy on the right Wez?

:thbup: No prob.

Im the guy on the left of the photo ;)

:thbup: No prob.

Im the guy on the left of the photo ;)

Nice to meet you Mr Wez,

you do look familiar.... :eusa_think:

Edit: someone made a joke on you looking like Chuck Norris in the Pics thread, so excuse my confusion mate, of course you'll be the young good looking oke....

Nice to meet you Mr Wez,

you do look familiar.... :eusa_think:

Edit: someone made a joke on you looking like Chuck Norris in the Pics thread, so excuse my confusion mate, of course you'll be the young good looking oke....

haha, Thx.

The Chuck Norris thing came up because I posted a picture of Chuck himself and said it was me in the pics thread the once :lol:

haha, Thx.

The Chuck Norris thing came up because I posted a picture of Chuck himself and said it was me in the pics thread the once :lol:

:lol:

I did'nt see that.... just the comments after... :blush:

Really interesting Wez! Those exhausts sound intriguing, though if you add those, plus the huge intakes, plus the honda livery the results sound a little scary. :lol:

Geez I wish you recorded the whole chat! :D

On top of that, that BMW is beautiful! Right out from The Great Escape! :clap3: