Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Iran Captures 15 British Sailors

Well I suppose as usual, time is the only real way of knowing, this dispute is not gonna end quickly thats for sure

Read my theory on how it will end.... page 7, post 207

Another thing that struck me.. Iran is making it out to be that these Brits are sure they where wrong and were in Iranian waters. If they knew they where in Iranian waters at the time then why would they be on such an operation unarmed?

Iran are seriously bulls##tting here and it's time to get heavy handed.

Get in there and get 'em.

[quote name='Moose11' post='185126' date='Apr 2 2007, 05:18 PM']Another thing that struck me.. Iran is making it out to be that these Brits are sure they where wrong and were in Iranian waters. If they knew they where in Iranian waters at the time then why would they be on such an operation unarmed?

Iran are seriously bulls##tting here and it's time to get heavy handed.

Get in there and get 'em.[/quote]
To be honest if they were doing snooping, they would take precautions for if they get caught, which in this case was no weapons...

To be honest if they were doing snooping, they would take precautions for if they get caught, which in this case was no weapons...

fair point though i believe if they where snooping in a country like Iran's waters I believe they would have been in subs.

Read my theory on how it will end.... page 7, post 207

Theory is the key word though, the truth is joe bloggs from the public domain has no answer

US advising Pakistani militants - report

* US encouraging attacks inside Iran, says ABC

* CIA says the media report is not accurate

* Secret campaign 'discussed' by Cheney, Musharraf

THE US has been secretly advising and encouraging a Pakistani militant group that has carried out deadly guerrilla raids inside Iran, American media reported today, citing US and Pakistani intelligence sources.

The raids have resulted in the deaths or capture of Iranian soldiers and officials, ABC reported.

The group, members of the Baluchi tribe, operates from Pakistan's gas-rich province of Baluchistan, just across the border from Iran, the report said.

The only relationship with the group that US intelligence acknowledges is co-operation in tracking al-Qaeda figures in that part of Pakistan, ABC reported.

The group, called Jundullah, has produced videos showing Iranian soldiers and border guards it says it has captured, ABC said.

ABC cited US government sources it did not identify as saying the United States does not provide direct funding for the group but has maintained close ties to its leader, Abd el Malik Regi, since 2005.

A CIA official said the account was not accurate.

Regi claims to have personally executed some of the Iranian captives, the ABC News report said.

"He is essentially commanding a force of several hundred guerrilla fighters that stage attacks across the border into Iran on Iranian military officers, Iranian intelligence officers, kidnapping them, executing them on camera," said Alexis Debat, a senior fellow on counterterrorism at the Nixon Centre and an ABC News consultant.

"He used to fight with the Taliban. He's part drug smuggler, part Taliban, part Sunni activist," Debat told ABC.

The group took credit for an attack in February that killed at least 11 members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard riding on a bus in the Iranian city of Zehedan, ABC said.

According to the report, Iranian state television last month broadcast what it said were confessions by those responsible for the bus attack.

They reportedly admitted to being members of Jundullah and said they had been trained for the mission at a secret location in Pakistan, ABC said.

ABC cited Pakistani government sources as saying the secret campaign against Iran was on the agenda when US Vice President d#ck Cheney met Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf in February.

Asked about the report, Cheney spokeswoman Megan McGinn responded: "We don't discuss conversations between the Vice President and foreign leaders."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21504089-1702,00.html

'US ready to strike Iran on Good Friday'

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

The United States will be ready to launch a missile attack on Iran's nuclear facilities as soon as early this month, perhaps "from 4 a.m. until 4 p.m. on April 6," according to reports in the Russian media on Saturday.

According to Russian intelligence sources, the reports said, the US has devised a plan to attack several targets in Iran, and an assault could be carried out by launching missiles from fighter jets and warships stationed in the Persian Gulf.

Russian news agency RIA Novosti quoted a security official as saying, "Russian intelligence has information that the US Armed Forces stationed in the Persian Gulf have nearly completed preparations for a missile strike against Iranian territory."

The Russian Defense Ministry rejected the claims of an imminent attack as "myths." There was no immediate response from Washington.

The reports come as the Iranian chief of staff, Hassan Fayrouz Abadi, was quoted on Saturday by Iran's Fars news agency warning leaders of Arab countries that Israel plans to open a "suicidal attack" on its neighbors this summer, to "prevent the withdrawal of the US troops from Iraq and the area."

"I warn the dear leaders and Muslim brothers in the neighboring countries of the occupied territories that this suicidal attack of the Zionists is threatening them," he said.

The countries in danger, he said, were "Lebanon and Syria, and later Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia."

Also on Saturday, Russia urged Britain and Teheran to resolve the dispute over 15 British sailors and marines captured by Iran last week, a local news agency reported.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mikhail Kamynin urged the two sides to provide the United Nations with their own assessments as to what happened and where exactly the detention occurred so that the body could conduct an independent probe.

"We hope these actions will provide a foundation for the soonest possible resolution of the crisis," Kamynin was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisted that the captured British sailors and marines trespassed in Iranian waters and called world powers "arrogant" for failing to apologize, the country's official news agency reported.

"The British occupier forces did trespass our waters. Our border guards detained them with skill and bravery. But arrogant powers, because of their arrogant and selfish spirit, are claiming otherwise," IRNA quoted Ahmadinejad as saying during a speech in the southeastern city of Andinmeshk.

The European Union grappled with a double bind over Iran Saturday - the country's nuclear program and its seizure of the British troops - and reported no progress on either issue.

A debate about Iran's nuclear ambitions had been scheduled as a key agenda item but "was overshadowed to a certain extent by the issue of the sailors and marines," German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said after hosting a two-day EU foreign ministers meeting in Bremen, Germany.

The Foreign Ministry in Iran dismissed the EU's "biased and meddlesome" comments on the captured troops, saying the dispute solely involved the governments of Iran and Britain.

Speaking to reporters in Bremen, British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett urged Iran to resolve the crisis over the military personnel peacefully, saying London remains open to dialogue.

"We encourage Iran to peacefully resolve this issue," she said.

"We continue to express our willingness to engage in dialogue and discussions with Iran," she added. "That is very much in the best interest of our people and that is our foremost concern."

"I think everyone regrets that this position has arisen," she said. "What we want is a way out of it."

AP contributed to this report.

'US ready to strike Iran on Good Friday'

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

The United States will be ready to launch a missile attack on Iran's nuclear facilities as soon as early this month, perhaps "from 4 a.m. until 4 p.m. on April 6," according to reports in the Russian media on Saturday.

According to Russian intelligence sources, the reports said, the US has devised a plan to attack several targets in Iran, and an assault could be carried out by launching missiles from fighter jets and warships stationed in the Persian Gulf.

Russian news agency RIA Novosti quoted a security official as saying, "Russian intelligence has information that the US Armed Forces stationed in the Persian Gulf have nearly completed preparations for a missile strike against Iranian territory."

The Russian Defense Ministry rejected the claims of an imminent attack as "myths." There was no immediate response from Washington.

The reports come as the Iranian chief of staff, Hassan Fayrouz Abadi, was quoted on Saturday by Iran's Fars news agency warning leaders of Arab countries that Israel plans to open a "suicidal attack" on its neighbors this summer, to "prevent the withdrawal of the US troops from Iraq and the area."

"I warn the dear leaders and Muslim brothers in the neighboring countries of the occupied territories that this suicidal attack of the Zionists is threatening them," he said.

The countries in danger, he said, were "Lebanon and Syria, and later Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia."

Also on Saturday, Russia urged Britain and Teheran to resolve the dispute over 15 British sailors and marines captured by Iran last week, a local news agency reported.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mikhail Kamynin urged the two sides to provide the United Nations with their own assessments as to what happened and where exactly the detention occurred so that the body could conduct an independent probe.

"We hope these actions will provide a foundation for the soonest possible resolution of the crisis," Kamynin was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisted that the captured British sailors and marines trespassed in Iranian waters and called world powers "arrogant" for failing to apologize, the country's official news agency reported.

"The British occupier forces did trespass our waters. Our border guards detained them with skill and bravery. But arrogant powers, because of their arrogant and selfish spirit, are claiming otherwise," IRNA quoted Ahmadinejad as saying during a speech in the southeastern city of Andinmeshk.

The European Union grappled with a double bind over Iran Saturday - the country's nuclear program and its seizure of the British troops - and reported no progress on either issue.

A debate about Iran's nuclear ambitions had been scheduled as a key agenda item but "was overshadowed to a certain extent by the issue of the sailors and marines," German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said after hosting a two-day EU foreign ministers meeting in Bremen, Germany.

The Foreign Ministry in Iran dismissed the EU's "biased and meddlesome" comments on the captured troops, saying the dispute solely involved the governments of Iran and Britain.

Speaking to reporters in Bremen, British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett urged Iran to resolve the crisis over the military personnel peacefully, saying London remains open to dialogue.

"We encourage Iran to peacefully resolve this issue," she said.

"We continue to express our willingness to engage in dialogue and discussions with Iran," she added. "That is very much in the best interest of our people and that is our foremost concern."

"I think everyone regrets that this position has arisen," she said. "What we want is a way out of it."

AP contributed to this report.

HaHaHaHa! I don't think so! Bush may be stupid, but he's not that stupid.

British sailors pardoned, freed

IRANIAN President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has announced that the 15 British sailors captured by Iran will be released immediately after his news conference and can then go straight to the airport.

"After the news conference they can go to the airport and go back home," Mr Ahmadinehad told his ongoing news conference.

"They will be going back home today."

During the conference, Mr Ahmadinejad attacked Britain for sending the crisis over the arrested sailors to the UN Security Council and using "media hype''.

"The British people can ask its Government what the British soldiers are doing in Iraq or in Iranian waters,'' he said.

Mr Ahmadinejad was "saddened" by what he called the violation of Iran's borders by 15 British naval personnel and said he was sorry that London was not "brave enough" to admit to its action.

He also awarded a medal to an Iranian naval commander after the detention of the Britons.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21508520-2,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is good news :D

[quote name='ykickamoocow' post='185355' date='Apr 4 2007, 03:41 PM'][b]US advising Pakistani militants - report[/b][/quote]

:what: Typical CIA.

[quote name='ykickamoocow' post='185417' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:43 PM'][b]British sailors pardoned, freed[/b][/quote]

Very clever PR coup by the prez there. He leaves the hawks who said that invasion was the only way of getting them out looking really stupid.

I have a feeling there might be a Cuban crisis style arrangement here. The Americans would never admit they agreed to a prisoner exchange, but this seems rather conveniently timed:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6525545.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6525545.stm[/url]

I have a feeling the Iranian prisoners will be released soon in exchange. Least the Americans can do...

Good news anyway.

Indeed, as long as only pride is hurt, but the guys are alive, then UK really made a brilliant display of diplomacy and should be proud of it.

A good result. Wonder how it would have gone if the Navy had dropped a cruise missile on Tehran...............

A good result. Wonder how it would have gone if the Navy had dropped a cruise missile on Tehran...............

Probalby not as well :D

The marines would be dead, the Iranian government would be unharmed with their popularity soaring and UK would be labeled as butcherers as the TV sets in the whole world were filled with images of Iranian civilians hurt or dead during the bombing.

Certainly, not the best scenario.

Absolutely.

I hope all of you who were proposing a miliatary assault on Iran agree with the virtues of a little bit of of old fashioned patience and diplomacy.

Absolutely.

I hope all of you who were proposing a miliatary assault on Iran agree with the virtues of a little bit of of old fashioned patience and diplomacy.

Its nice to be proven right :D

That was all rather theatrical but at least it is over

:what: Typical CIA.

Very clever PR coup by the prez there. He leaves the hawks who said that invasion was the only way of getting them out looking really stupid.

I have a feeling there might be a Cuban crisis style arrangement here. The Americans would never admit they agreed to a prisoner exchange, but this seems rather conveniently timed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6525545.stm

I have a feeling the Iranian prisoners will be released soon in exchange. Least the Americans can do...

A prisoner exchange did take place.... I read in my uni's local newspaper, the foriegn minister of the iranian embassy in iraq was freed yesterday, and that 5 others captured where expected to be freed(they had a quote from the iraqy govt that they will try their level best) but here comes the kicker, who captured all these 6 people is unknown...

So since the british prisioners are freed it has to be due to the prisioner exchange, of a foriegn minister(as a show USA will keep their word) for the life of the british soldiers

Damn you Brits. I was wanting to sate my demonic, voyeuristic desire for bloodshed with this incident. Poofs, the lot of ya.

(I shall now wander off while humming the tunes from HMS Pinafore.)

Damn you Brits. I was wanting to sate my demonic, voyeuristic desire for bloodshed with this incident. Poofs, the lot of ya.

:laughing: I was hoping for them to send James Bond, but I guess Sean Connery is too old to go there and the new guy would be shot before jumping off the plane.

Other option would have been to trade the marines for Coulthard. UK get their soldiers back and the Iranians get a great instructor for car bomb drivers.

I have an interesting game for everyone concerning this thread. Without going back to read my previous posts, would you say I advocated a military response (guns blazing) to this situation or a diplomatic one? Because of my nationality, I would guess most of you would say that I advocated the military response...

Let side show bob take you there :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhgmYL4Ujc

I have an interesting game for everyone concerning this thread. Without going back to read my previous posts, would you say I advocated a military response (guns blazing) to this situation or a diplomatic one? Because of my nationality, I would guess most of you would say that I advocated the military response...

Indirectly yes. You and Bruce.

:laughing: I was hoping for them to send James Bond, but I guess Sean Connery is too old to go there and the new guy would be shot before jumping off the plane.

Other option would have been to trade the marines for Coulthard. UK get their soldiers back and the Iranians get a great instructor for car bomb drivers.

:lol: car bomb drivers, they could jut import ide....