Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskee

Why Does Alonso Never Overtake?

He's not kidding, just trying to stir s##te. Good luck to him.

Indeed <_<:o

Alonso does overtake more than most other drivers in F1. Actually I have always considered him as one of the most spectacular drivers, because he overtakes a lot. Are we speaking about Fernando Alonso and Formula 1, or do you mean some other Alonso?

I'm not trying to stir sh#t. :nono1: I very rarely see him challenging a driver ahead of him compared to Kimi. But I doubt they make statistics off of things like these, suppose I might've been watching the wrong races.

Understandable considering Kimi has had to start from the back on more occasions than did Alonso. Alonso has always qualified well and as a result has rarely needed to overtake many cars. If you want one example of him working up the field, look at Monza '06. There's also a thread here with a video of Alonso overtaking in F3000 on the kink up to Eau Rouge....ballsy overtaking there.

The examples are out there, but you have to want to see them.

Understandable considering Kimi has had to start from the back on more occasions than did Alonso. Alonso has always qualified well and as a result has rarely needed to overtake many cars. If you want one example of him working up the field, look at Monza '06. There's also a thread here with a video of Alonso overtaking in F3000 on the kink up to Eau Rouge....ballsy overtaking there.

The examples are out there, but you have to want to see them.

Plus Hungaroring 2006, Suzuka 2005, plus all the wonderful starts he had, plus... :rolleyes: What's the use, anyways?

But let me save you a reply:

"overtaking at the start doesn't count"

"<insert overtaken driver's name here> was driving a much inferior car"

"Again, Alonso prefers to overtake drivers in the pits" (as opposite to Schumacher, I guess?)

Really, you need to close your eyes tightly during most races to make such a remark.

Understandable considering Kimi has had to start from the back on more occasions than did Alonso. Alonso has always qualified well and as a result has rarely needed to overtake many cars.

Believe I made that point a little while ago, wasent bothered to even reply but that is what I would have said. Thanks.

Does any one remember Alonso blocking David Coulthard (when he was at Mclaren) few years ago,

he braked so late at a corner which made his to go into the gravel field.

I thinks Alonso is good in overtaking but not that good in blocking cars.

I would say it's the total opposite...

our friend whiskee's got a point, wether you like it or not...

Alonso does'nt look comfortable overtaking, thats why his moves are always on the brink of being ultra dangerous. But he's absolutely brilliant at blocking, you can't keep up a guy like schumie twice behind you for those number of laps....

Believe I made that point a little while ago, wasent bothered to even reply but that is what I would have said. Thanks.

Indeed. You are the numero uno Alonso supporter here, but I defend where I can.... ;)

Alonso does'nt look comfortable overtaking, thats why his moves are always on the brink of being ultra dangerous. But he's absolutely brilliant at blocking, you can't keep up a guy like schumie twice behind you for those number of laps....

Interesting that you see it this way. Most former WDC's, team personnel, aged F1 journos all disagree with you....but no matter. Kimi's a great driver to support so you've got your horse (pardon the Ferrari reference) and you're betting on it all the time. Nothing wrong in that. ^_^

You are right here, he only overtakes when he is really far behind in a position where nobody will say he got a good result but if he is a good "result position" you will see him trying to pass only in pit stops.

and kimi is an exeptional overtaker!!

thats the difference...

Kimi exceptional, so was Micheal...

Alonso????......hmmmm not in the same class I would say.... -_-

i remember alonso blocking schumi in the end of a race in the start of the season, which was blocked beutifully, can't remember which race though

2005 the San Marino GP, he kept schumi back for something like 13 laps.

In all honesty I haven't seen a great deal that leads me to believe that Raikkonen is a better overtaker than Alonso. In Japan 2005, Alonso overtook Klien twice, Schumi twice, as well as Webber. Alonso is a very capable overtaker, and he is also very fast. If you want an example of how relentless he can be watch the 2006 Spanish GP. Raikkonen can overtake, I am not doubting that but it really is stupid to try and trash Alonso because he is better at defensive driving than Raikkonen is. Defensive driving is a much finer art than Overtaking, and it is a lot harder to do correctly.

There where several times in 2005 where Raikkonen got stuck behind Schumacher, and several other slow cars (Villeneuve in Monza 2005 anyone?), so Alonso is not the only driver that gets stuck behind cars, every driver does it, good and bad.

If you are going to Bash alonso, bash him for something that really is a fault, and not a skill (and a skill I bet a lot of Raikkonen fans wish their man was a lot better at)

2005 the San Marino GP, he kept schumi back for something like 13 laps.

In all honesty I haven't seen a great deal that leads me to believe that Raikkonen is a better overtaker than Alonso. In Japan 2005, Alonso overtook Klien twice, Schumi twice, as well as Webber. Alonso is a very capable overtaker, and he is also very fast. If you want an example of how relentless he can be watch the 2006 Spanish GP. Raikkonen can overtake, I am not doubting that but it really is stupid to try and trash Alonso because he is better at defensive driving than Raikkonen is. Defensive driving is a much finer art than Overtaking, and it is a lot harder to do correctly.

Shane, overtaking is a greater risk than defensive driving, where all one has to do is protect the racing line....