Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane2

Jesus The Musical

Funny clip Shane.

Yep! :lol:

Yeah, it's a great saying. Props to Christ for that. Just don't say it to a horny sodomite....

:eekout:

[rant]I am complete atheist and, personally, I couldn't care less about religions which I think really are one of the strongest forces behind every war and massacre along with economics. One of the most irritating things about religions and religious people is that they have hard times accepting that you do not believe in anything, and you don't need to be saved and/or punished for that. Religions tend to be highly untolerant (ALL of them, at least the 3 major ones in western countries: Christianism, Jewish and Islam) . I don't try to convert anybody to atheism and, frankly, I am fed up with religious BS and people willing to kill each other for reliegious issues ("MY GOD IS A GOD OF PEACE, SO I WILL KILL YOU FOR NOT BELIEVING IN HIM!!!") and, what's even worst, they drag us all into their wars.[/rant]

That being said, even if I don't like religions, I want a world where everybody can tolerate people having different views. As much as I want to be left alone with my atheism, I must accept to tolerate people believing in God, as long as they don't try to harm me. Good old "Laissez faire" liberalism, which was the idea behind every war the Western has been involved for the past 100 years. As such, I am ready to accept that some things are offensive to believers and I am strongly support their right to be spared from gratuitous offense. Personally, I think that clip is very funny, but I would never have posted it because it would obviously offend some people.

This is not about freedom of speech, it is about respect for the other. Shane, this time you are wrong, Ferrariphile has every right to feel offended by your post. The golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is one of the best gifts religions have given to humanity (all religions have a version of it). We should appreciate it no matter if we believe in god or not.

Nice post, Andres. Well put.

(I watched the video and just thought it was tedious crap, unfunny and unoriginal)

[rant]I am complete atheist and, personally, I couldn't care less about religions which I think really are one of the strongest forces behind every war and massacre along with economics. One of the most irritating things about religions and religious people is that they have hard times accepting that you do not believe in anything, and you don't need to be saved and/or punished for that. Religions tend to be highly untolerant (ALL of them, at least the 3 major ones in western countries: Christianism, Jewish and Islam) . I don't try to convert anybody to atheism and, frankly, I am fed up with religious BS and people willing to kill each other for reliegious issues ("MY GOD IS A GOD OF PEACE, SO I WILL KILL YOU FOR NOT BELIEVING IN HIM!!!") and, what's even worst, they drag us all into their wars.[/rant]

That being said, even if I don't like religions, I want a world where everybody can tolerate people having different views. As much as I want to be left alone with my atheism, I must accept to tolerate people believing in God, as long as they don't try to harm me. Good old "Laissez faire" liberalism, which was the idea behind every war the Western has been involved for the past 100 years. As such, I am ready to accept that some things are offensive to believers and I am strongly support their right to be spared from gratuitous offense. Personally, I think that clip is very funny, but I would never have posted it because it would obviously offend some people.

This is not about freedom of speech, it is about respect for the other. Shane, this time you are wrong, Ferrariphile has every right to feel offended by your post. The golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is one of the best gifts religions have given to humanity (all religions have a version of it). We should appreciate it no matter if we believe in god or not.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN 3 MAJOR RELIGIONS, WHAT HAPPENED TO HINDU'S HUH???

According to wikipedia there are 822,888,262 Hindus in India, and around the world would be more due to the migration, so you just decide to leave them out huh, jut coz they don't bomb or caue unrest or get into wars easily, :nono1: their popularity is going down, because of peace, it is a sad thing to see. And for this infeledility, you should burn in Hell, or become a hindu, but burning in hell is more a fun idea....

Otherwise, a very good post

Note:- the part above the otherwie is meant to be a joke

According to wikipedia there are 822,888,262 Hindus in India, and around the world would be more due to the migration, so you just decide to leave them out huh, jut coz they don't bomb or caue unrest or get into wars easily, :nono1: their popularity is going down, because of peace, it is a sad thing to see.

Otherwise, a very good post

Note:- the part above the otherwie is meant to be a joke

:laughing: I said "WESTERN" countries. You need to move the Greenwich meridian about 8,000 kilometers east to make India a Western country :P

:laughing: I said "WESTERN" countries. You need to move the Greenwich meridian about 8,000 kilometers east to make India a Western country :P

So Islam is more in the WESTERN countries??????? is the whole american contentent have bad geography

@Andres read the editted post, made it a but better & u having bad geography is also just a joke....

So Islam is more in the WESTERN countries??????? is the whole american contentent have bad geography

@Andres read the editted post, made it a but better & u having bad geography is also just a joke....

:lol: No need to explain to me when you are joking, I know you do :D

And sorry about the confusion, my post might be confusing about east, west and religions! I was using the terms "western countries" in the usual sense, i.e. European + American+African countries. Many of those countries are, technically, in the east part of the world (America being the only continent that is fully in the western hemisphere). As for religions, the two most popular religions in these countries are Christianism in all its variants, then Islam, then smaller religions of which the most notable is Judaism, there are also Hindus, Buddhists, Jainists, Voodo, African (i have no idea about these) and whatnot.

:lol: No need to explain to me when you are joking, I know you do :D

And sorry about the confusion, my post might be confusing about east, west and religions! I was using the terms "western countries" in the usual sense, i.e. European + American+African countries. Many of those countries are, technically, in the east part of the world (America being the only continent that is fully in the western hemisphere). As for religions, the two most popular religions in these countries are Christianism in all its variants, then Islam, then smaller religions of which the most notable is Judaism, there are also Hindus, Buddhists, Jainists, Voodo, African (i have no idea about these) and whatnot.

I allways assume when someone says western, they mean America and Europe...

I am sure there are tons of Indians in Uk and America. The largest migrated population from India is in UK. In bth UK and America, i always find a ton of Indians wherever i go, ask any American memebers..., even when i came to this uni in the middle on nowehere, there are tons of indians, some from the same city as me...

I know you understand the jokes, but just in case, no harm to type a few extra words and remove that doubt(even if it is more spelling errors/typing errors)

And to get Back on the topic, i just found some news item:-

Chocolate Jesus exhibit canceled after uproar

NYC gallery inundated with angry calls ahead of display during Holy Week

March 30: A chocolate sculpture named "My Sweet Lord" draws controversy from Christian groups. MSNBC.com's Dara Brown reports before the exhibit was canceled.

MSNBC.com

Updated: 2:33 p.m. CT March 30, 2007

NEW YORK - A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was canceled Friday amid a choir of complaining Catholics that included Cardinal Edward Egan.

The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in midtown Manhattan, said Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director. Semler said he submitted his resignation after officials at the Roger Smith Hotel shut down the show.

The six-foot sculpture was the victim of "a strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing," Semler said. "They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions."

But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display."

Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

"It

So because some religious freak cries "foul" when I do something, it gives them more rights than me?. If you observe anything that happens on this forum, Some members (notably Cavallino and BradSpeedMan) go out of their way to wind me up. What can I do about it? NOTHING, so why should I give in everytime someone else cries foul at something I post. Religion does not mean other people should get more rights than I do.

I wouldn't take it that far, I just get fed up of the way some religious folks cry Insult and get their own way just because it is a religious matter. I could turn around and say a spaceship dropped humans on earth 400 million years ago. Nobody would be able to prove or disprove it, yet nobody would let me play the Religious card if I tried to defend what I believed in. That is just my gripe, Religion is a load of non-factual conjecture, yet people can play it as a card and manipulate society. The fact I am not a member of a religious group somehow seems to mean my thoughts are less valuable, and I have less right to express myself and that is what infuriates me about society.

What annoys me, Shane, is the infringement on my right to enjoy material that others find offensive.

I wouldn't take it that far, I just get fed up of the way some religious folks cry Insult and get their own way just because it is a religious matter. I could turn around and say a spaceship dropped humans on earth 400 million years ago. Nobody would be able to prove or disprove it, yet nobody would let me play the Religious card if I tried to defend what I believed in. That is just my gripe, Religion is a load of non-factual conjecture, yet people can play it as a card and manipulate society. The fact I am not a member of a religious group somehow seems to mean my thoughts are less valuable, and I have less right to express myself and that is what infuriates me about society.

OK i agree it may infuriate you, but by posting this and expressing you rght to post, how does that change anything????

Well yes, that is part of it, I cannot disagree, but I personally think thats the thin end of the wedge.

OK i agree it may infuriate you, but by posting this and expressing you rght to post, how does that change anything????

It doesn't. I am posting a rationalisation for my actions, and saying what I feel is wrong. I am not going to change my mind if 100 religious people come in and have a hissy fit, because I do not see religion as an excuse for someone to get their own way.

It's part of a discussion where people are expressing their views, and hopefully learning something from the exchange of opinions.

There are more Muslims than Hindus in the west, simple fact.

jut coz they don't bomb or caue unrest or get into wars easily

Hardly...

Hinduism is as intolerant as any religion.

There are more Muslims than Hindus in the west, simple fact.

Hardly...

Hinduism is as intolerant as any religion.

Read it was meant to be a joke....

And i would doubt there are more muslims than hindu's in the west...

Read it was meant to be a joke....

I don't think it was.

And i would doubt there are more muslims than hindu's in the west...

You're wrong.

I don't think it was.

You're wrong.

Read Andres quoted post and re-read my post, I did mean it as a joke...

Can you provide me proof abt muslim and Hinduis in wetern countries, i am open to anything which state otherwise, and btw, i did say i doubt, i am not ure either...

Not an authoritative source, but the numbers are not even close to being comparable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country#By_region

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_by_country#By_region

PS: Th west would probably be Europe, the U.S. and Canada, Israel, Australia and New Zealand I think.

Israel????

However i concede my point abt more hindus in the west....I assumed there were more but i was wrong. But India does have the second largest Mulslim Population, right?

Israel????

Yep. It's not a geographical distinction.

However i concede my point abt more hindus in the west....I assumed there were more but i was wrong. But India does have the second largest Mulslim Population, right?

2nd or 3rd.