Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Fisi Calls For `radical Changes

Radical changes begin with booting out Fisico & bringing in Piquet Jr.

Couldn't agree more. In fact when I read the title to the thread I for some reason thought the radical change was Giancarlo retiring himself from the sport to aid Renault in remaining a top team!!!! Wishful thinking on my behalf :P

Sounds like a team in self destruct mode I'm afraid. The driver blaming the team, the boss blaming the drivers and the hot young rookie looking pretty luke warm. All's not lost yet. It will be though, if Ghosn is already planning to pull the plug.

You could well be right there Cav, time will tell. Losing Fernando is having a larger effect on them than anyone was anticipating.

The problem is quiet Simply that the car doesn't have enough Downforce, or grip. I feel Renault may have been hit harder than some of the other teams by the switch to Bridgestone

On the most part I think you have hit the nail on the head. Renault have not been able to adapt the car to the Bridgestones, combine that with a driver that is well below par and a rookie you will have a major problem with what direction you decide to take in your development.

Indeed. It would be nice to see Renault in the mix, but I get the feeling that 2007 is going to be Renault's first winless season since 2002 when they first re-entered the sport

Indeed. It would be nice to see Renault in the mix, but I get the feeling that 2007 is going to be Renault's first winless season since 2002 when they first re-entered the sport

I agree, unless they luck into a win like Jenson did last year :P

*awaiting the response from JR & Jemstride :D (Sorry boys don't mean to stir)

Let's play connect the dots.

Alonso is at Renault and they win 2 WCC and WDCs with a car that some say was dominant, yet Fisico was for the most part way behind Alonso and MS and Kimi (in varying years)--but lets forget that for now. Anyway, Alonso leaves Renault and goes to McLaren who have just come off an abysmal season. Now Renault is behind McLaren and so too is Fisico still behind Alonso.

Anyone see a common thread here?

I know, I know, there will be arguments about how this team is struggling with tyres and that team is doing better because of this or that, but my mind keeps returning to the common thread. Alonso.

Fisico never looked fast alongside Alonso except for two fluke races and now I believe he's showing us where Renault's true pace is.

Let's play connect the dots.

Alonso is at Renault and they win 2 WCC and WDCs with a car that some say was dominant, yet Fisico was for the most part way behind Alonso and MS and Kimi (in varying years)--but lets forget that for now. Anyway, Alonso leaves Renault and goes to McLaren who have just come off an abysmal season. Now Renault is behind McLaren and so too is Fisico still behind Alonso.

Anyone see a common thread here?

I know, I know, there will be arguments about how this team is struggling with tyres and that team is doing better because of this or that, but my mind keeps returning to the common thread. Alonso.

Fisico never looked fast alongside Alonso except for two fluke races and now I believe he's showing us where Renault's true pace is.

Yeah I see it, simple really:

Fernando awesome 2 times World Champion

Giancarlo b!oody hopeless

So, you mean that this year we wont see Mclaren

alonso didnt design the 2007 mclaren, you cant give him credit for mclarens upturn in competitiveness over the winter, there are hundreds of people in the design team & factory who take the credit for that, Alonso just drives the thing!

alonso didnt design the 2007 mclaren, you cant give him credit for mclarens upturn in competitiveness over the winter, there are hundreds of people in the design team & factory who take the credit for that, Alonso just drives the thing!

Indeed.

Not true at all. He may not be accountable for the fact it's fast, but the drivers actually have a pretty big input into the design of the car. Ron Dennis quoted that Alonso was able to tell the designers precisely what he wanted in a car, and they wouldn't be saying that if he had no input :P

I have of course to disagree with that. Strange coicidence that Renault goes downs while Mc Laren goes up.

The design of the '07 McLaren is nothing radical compared to the '06 McLaren. Go look at photos and compare the two. Since one is an evolution of the other you'd expect a similar moderate improvement in pace, but of course the rest of the field has improved as well (except for Honduh) so it's very likely the '07 McLaren would be in the same place that last year's car was. That is clearly not the case so we need to look at what changed:

New tyre compounds that McLaren got to grips with pretty quickly, especially after Alonso joined at the first of the year. Alonso definitely had input here. Tell you what, I've used this example before and I'll do so again. Start up any F1 video game and tweak the car's settings (aero, tyre pressures, suspension) to midpoint settings. Now run some laps. Go back and fine-tune the settings and run more laps. You will find that your fine-tuned settings give you faster laps. This is exactly what the driver contributes to the car's development during testing.

In my video game anal-ogy, I will admit I'm not as good at tweaking my sim cars as a friend of mine is. He invariably gets better lap times than me. I would be JPM or Kimi in that anal-ogy and my friend would be Alonso. Get it?

Alonso is better at this fine-tuning that either Fisico or HK, that much is certain. Even Flavio has been quoted as saying that he misses Alonso like he missed Schumacher. Draw your own comparisons.

teams competitiveness goes up and down each year. Did Felipe Massa's arrival at Ferrari after 2005 contribute to their upturn in fortunes in 2006? No. Did JPM cause mclaren to go from 4th to fastest in 2005? No.

This is typical of the alonso gang, no offence - to exaggerate praise, your only evidence is 'well it cant be coincidence'

teams competitiveness goes up and down each year. Did Felipe Massa's arrival at Ferrari after 2005 contribute to their upturn in fortunes in 2006? No. Did JPM cause mclaren to go from 4th to fastest in 2005? No.

This is typical of the alonso gang, no offence - to exaggerate praise, your only evidence is 'well it cant be coincidence'

I am pretty sure you would do the same thing with Button's name in place of Alonso's. And IMO it is raikkonen fans that do that not Alonso fans.

Nobody is saying he physically developed the car, but it is helpful to engineers if you have a driver that can tell you exactly how he likes a car set up. Something Raikkonen and Montoya where definately not famous for.

The 2006 car actually had a pretty good core speed, its problem was that it was not getting enough heat into its tyres. The 2007 car is a natural progression, with that problem obviously sorted out. Is alonso 100% accountable... No. Did he help? yes

Alonso is the only driver that beat MS fair and square... I think that speaks for itself. So it's no coincidence that as soon as he joins Mc Laren they are competitive right from the start. Actually I'm going as far as to think that Alonso would win a GP this year in either a Ferrari Renault BMW Toyota Williams Red Bull Honda you name it...... By the way this situation is strangely similar to that of MS whe he left Benetton.

A team's competitiveness goes up and down in increments. Usually they start to win a few races or get podiums the season before they are challenging for the title. McLaren went from a dog of a car to a podium-placing car over the winter. Renault went from a championship-winning car to 6th place car over the winter.

In all the major upsets, there's usually something major to blame. For Williams long ago it was the loss of Renault power. For Ferrari a few years ago it was the lack of Bridgstone tyre development. There were no such dramatic changes within Renault and McLaren......except Alonso. Put it together, Jem, and you'll get there.

i am aware that drivers contribute to the development of the car through their feedback from driving the car, but the 2006 mclaren was quick as soon as alonso first stepped into it. I just dont agree that the mclaren is a faster car thanks to alonso.

i agree that renault dont have any hope of getting the kind of results they did last year without alonso in the car, but i dont think he should take credit for mclaren being more competitive this year

i am aware that drivers contribute to the development of the car through their feedback from driving the car, but the 2006 mclaren was quick as soon as alonso first stepped into it. I just dont agree that the mclaren is a faster car thanks to alonso.

i agree that renault dont have any hope of getting the kind of results they did last year without alonso in the car, but i dont think he should take credit for mclaren being more competitive this year

I think Alonso can take some credit just not all of it...

I think Alonso can take some credit just not all of it...

That's exactly what Mike and others are trying to say. :D