Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niall McBride

No Overtaking At First Corner?!

More details from the recent World Motor Sport Council meeting have emerged in the last 24 hours, with the most significant, and surprising, news being a rule stipulating the use of a new 'lane' system at certain tracks in order to minimise the possibility of first corner accidents.

Beginning in Malaysia next weekend, the first corner will be divided in two by a white line 'no more than 10cm and no less than 8.5cm' wide - according to article 379c of the Sporting Regulations - that will follow the curve of the corner exactly.

The regulations go on to state "Following the extinguishing of the starting lights all cars shall proceed towards the first corner at racing speed; on reaching the corner, those on the left of the grid from the drivers point of view shall take the left hand 'lane', with drivers on the right of the grid taking the right 'lane'."

The idea is to keep the cars in two neat, orderly lines for the first corner, hence negating the possibility of any needless accidents caused by drivers attempting to make up places at such an early stage in the race.

The rule states that drivers shall "continue in their allotted lanes until a green flag is displayed further around the circuit."

This new regulation has, unsurprisingly, come as a surprise to many, and elicited the following response from Williams driver Alex Wurz:

"If it keeps DC off my head i'm all for it."

The Austrians sentiments were echoed by Britain's Anthony Davidson victim of an early race accident with Spyker's Adrian Sutil in Australia:

"Excellent news" began Davidson "I may get further than a lap."

Fernando Alonso, World Champion and driving for McLaren, expressed his delight at the idea:

"If it means less of that ridiculous overtaking it is a good idea."

These are getting a bit tiresome. 1st April has become a me too exercise, it takes immense stupidity to fall for anything.

Interesting, very good idea, now they just need to make slots in the track :clap3: This is deff, tech related.

This is more April Fools jokes which is annoying as its April 2nd in eastern Australia.

It's not so bad for me, as we do not have an April Fool's Day (wa have a similar day on Demebre 28th, but mostly pay no attention to it, just a few jokes here and there.)

What frightens me, though, is that all the "jokes" are frightingly plausible in the current F1. That is really sad: not that they might be true, but the feeling that, if they did, it wouldn't be surprising.

You miserable bunch of b*stards. There's already too much doom and gloom in the news everyday. You pour scourn upon a tradition which lasts for half a day a year? What, are you all 87 or something?

You miserable bunch of b*stards. There's already too much doom and gloom in the news everyday. You pour scourn upon a tradition which lasts for half a day a year? What, are you all 87 or something?

I only seem 87 regarding my sexual performance :lol:

I got nothing against a joke if its funny :P

Interesting, very good idea, now they just need to make slots in the track :clap3: This is deff, tech related.

I agree. After they do that, they need to add a loop and glow-in-the-dark stripes on the track!