Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Sepang Race Preview

The 2007 Australian Grand Prix might not have been a vintage race, but - like the 1991 Belgian GP - it may come to be regarded as a milestone in Formula 1 history.

The reason? A debut performance by Lewis Hamilton that marked him out as one of those once-in-a-generation talents, making a similarly seismic impact to that when Michael Schumacher burst onto the scene at Spa 16 years ago.

The chances are that Hamilton's spectacular third place three weeks ago will be remembered more than Kimi Raikkonen's consummate first victory for Ferrari.

And as the teams prepare for this weekend's Malaysian GP, all eyes are on McLaren's young rookie as fans - particularly in Britain - begin to wonder if this could be the start of a 'Hamilton era'.

Will we soon be ruing the fact that Hamilton and Michael Schumacher never shared an F1 grid?

Hamilton's composure and mistake-free precision in Melbourne were remarkable given his inexperience and total lack of circuit knowledge.

The latter won't be an issue in Sepang, where he tested for three days last week.

But that's just as well, for the Malaysian track is a more technical and demanding proposition than Melbourne.

The local climate adds to the challenge, with high temperatures and extreme humidity making it the most physically gruelling GP on the calendar.

After his Melbourne podium, though, Hamilton is expected to take all this in his stride.

He wouldn't be the first rookie to stumble after a dazzling debut, but the quality of his Australian GP drive was such that Hamilton can now afford a few blips.

If he makes the odd mistake in Malaysia or isn't quite snapping at Fernando Alonso's heels, no-one will question Lewis' outright talent or long-term prospects.

How his fellow rookie Heikki Kovalainen must wish to be in that position.

The Finn's Australian GP was as scrappy as Hamilton's was flawless.

And Renault boss Flavio Briatore made no attempt to conceal his displeasure after the race.

But the team has backed its long-time protege to bounce back.

After all, Briatore's main complaint was that Kovalainen hadn't done his own talent justice in Melbourne.

A fastest time on the final day of Sepang testing bodes well for Heikki, who is under more pressure than anyone else on the grid this weekend.

If he cuts out the errors and gets on terms with teammate Giancarlo Fisichella, then he can continue with his debut season in peace.

But another poor race would feed the media machine for another week and encourage the vultures (including ambitious test driver Nelson Angelo Piquet) to start circling.

Regardless of Kovalainen's performance, no-one expects Renault to take a third consecutive Malaysian GP win.

The loss of Alonso and Michelin has cost Renault its momentum, and it must close the gap to McLaren and BMW before it can think about resuming battle with 2006 sparring partner Ferrari.

Although Melbourne has a reputation for producing quirky results, there is little to suggest that Ferrari's dominant form won't continue into Malaysia.

Raikkonen was comfortably fastest in testing and the consensus in the pit lane is that the new bodywork tests introduced after the minor storm over Ferrari and BMW's allegedly 'flexible' floors will not cause any dramatic changes in the pecking order.

However, while Ferrari is ahead on speed, its reliability may not be in such good shape.

The prospect of plunging an engine that has already completed a Melbourne race-distance into the heat of Sepang is unnerving for anyone, but Raikkonen has particular cause for concern given that his engine suffered from a small water leak towards the end of the Australian GP.

A Raikkonen engine change penalty could be just what Felipe Massa needs to kick-start his title challenge after the frustrations of Australia.

The Brazilian's awesome winter testing form was quickly forgotten as Raikkonen stamped his authority on Melbourne while Massa had to pick his way through the midfield.

Ferrari might not operate a strict driver hierarchy anymore, but that doesn't mean that one won't naturally develop if Raikkonen continues to overshadow his teammate.

Massa's absence from the lead battle aside, the Australian GP proceeded largely as testing had suggested.

However, there were some shocks amongst the Japanese contingent.

As worrying as winter testing had been for Honda, the team surely did not expect to lag behind Super Aguri's hurriedly completed and somewhat controversial new car.

Toyota's surprisingly respectable performance added to Honda's hurt, especially as the Cologne squad had looked to be in even worse trouble with its new car pre-season.

But Toyota top brass will not have enjoyed the sight of Nico Rosberg's Toyota-powered Williams chassis surging past Ralf Schumacher's works car and then disappearing into the distance.

Even if Ferrari remains in a class of its own, the battles in this extraordinarily tight midfield will provide plenty of intrigue at Sepang, which is a relatively overtaking-friendly venue.

With long straights, fast sweeps and some tortuous complexes, the track should give a clear indication of which teams have the best overall package - and which drivers are making the most of it.

Four years ago Alonso earned his first ever pole in Malaysia, and Raikkonen claimed his first ever win.

This weekend could be just as significant for both of them - as Raikkonen attempts to take a big stride towards a first title, and Alonso bids to keep both the Finn and his upstart McLaren teammate in check.

Looks like we're going to have an interesting Malaysian GP.

Hence my comment in colour. Source ITV-F1.com.

I got that your comment in blue was your own, but I was wanting the source. Thanks :thbup:

I got that your comment in blue was your own, but I was wanting the source. Thanks :thbup:

Thought you wrote that article, Mike. Was either you or Hamilton's grandma :lol:

Geez, it would be better if they let the boy shine on his own, I don't think he needs all those obnoxius guys competing to see who composes the most extravagant articles complimenting Hamilton's skills. Lewis can defend his skills well by just driving.

But that's just as well, for the Malaysian track is a more technical and demanding proposition than Melbourne.

Indeed. I remember Jenson struggling there at first. It'll be a good test for Hamilton.

The local climate adds to the challenge, with high temperatures and extreme humidity making it the most physically gruelling GP on the calendar.

I can't imagine this will be too hard for him as he's said to be in great shape: Mark Blundell reckons he's already the fittest on the grid.

Thought you wrote that article, Mike. Was either you or Hamilton's grandma :lol:

:lol:

Hammy's only danger right now is of letting McLaren do to him what it did to DC. Hammy needs to stop being so damned nice.

Jesus. One race, ONE RACE and now they are saying he's MS standard! WTF! Don't be surprised if he struggles eher, Malaysia's humidity is very very tough, and I don't believe hamilton has raced here before either so he will find it tough!

:lol:

Hammy's only danger right now is of letting McLaren do to him what it did to DC. Hammy needs to stop being so damned nice.

Hamilton and DC in the same sentence? Boy, i thought i'd seen everything......

Jesus. One race, ONE RACE and now they are saying he's MS standard! WTF! Don't be surprised if he struggles eher, Malaysia's humidity is very very tough, and I don't believe hamilton has raced here before either so he will find it tough!

I know you hate the guy, but give our boy-god his due. Exceptional performance marks his godlike talent.... Our boy will do well...

Geez, Hamilton Australian GP was nothing special for crying out loud. If you finish third in second best car due to fact one of better cars was so far behind ya, it is simply expected result.

Geez, Hamilton Australian GP was nothing special for crying out loud. If you finish third in second best car due to fact one of better cars was so far behind ya, it is simply expected result.

nothing special????? First race, first corner overtaking, keeping 2 times world champ at bay, driving a faultless race without mistakes, ok he went over the curb but even experience drivers do that in almost every race, it's the stuff god's are made off....

All hail our boy-god....

Here we go again... Build him up and up and up. For cryin' out loud let the kid grow for himself. He's going to have bad races and make mistakes too, I just hope they dont hammer him for it when he does. Throwing in comparisons to MS already is just dumb. Let the guy race and do what he can.

Here we go again... Build him up and up and up. For cryin' out loud let the kid grow for himself. He's going to have bad races and make mistakes too, I just hope they dont hammer him for it when he does. Throwing in comparisons to MS already is just dumb. Let the guy race and do what he can.

Of course he's going have bad races, of course he's going to make mistakes... but he build himself up good with his first race ever, and set the platform

Superb start? He overtook *ONE* driver who was busy trying to defend his position against Heidfeld. And concerning keeping his teammate behind him, i somewhy have feeling Alonso did not even try to pass him (especially considering the fuel saving part). So what did he do so great after all? Only thing he did not do was a big mistake, but nothing spectacular either really.

Put Fisichella in a Mc laren and he''ll finish 5th or 6th.

nothing special????? First race, first corner overtaking, keeping 2 times world champ at bay, driving a faultless race without mistakes, ok he went over the curb but even experience drivers do that in almost every race, it's the stuff god's are made off....

All hail our boy-god....

Oh boy! this hamiltonics* is driving me nuts! calm down boys, its one race, he did well, he was expected to do well in a mclaren, what did you expect?

geez all this hamilton worship is driving me nuts. i can barely stand the alonso worshiping, but heck that guy won 2 world championships. these hamiltonians and their hamlitonics make alonso worshipshers look like hardened athiests!

* hamiltonics - worshiping your boy god hamilton! I own the TM on this word henceforth

Hamilton and DC in the same sentence? Boy, i thought i'd seen everything......

Only as a contrast, dear dribbler...

He is more than fit enough to cope with Malaysia. It is not an overly tough track, and I believe he will cope with the heat.

Oh boy! this hamiltonics* is driving me nuts! calm down boys, its one race, he did well, he was expected to do well in a mclaren, what did you expect?

Hilarious since last season McLaren were widely regarded as having 'lost it'.

these hamiltonians and their hamlitonics make alonso worshipshers look like hardened athiests!

Amen. Now go and say 12 'hail-Hammys' and meditate.

* hamiltonics - worshiping your boy god hamilton! I own the TM on this word henceforth

The boy-god shall curse you for this.

Hilarious since last season McLaren were widely regarded as having 'lost it'.

Amen. Now go and say 12 'hail-Hammys' and meditate.

The boy-god shall curse you for this.

for whatever reason, mclaren are a lot more competitive this year, the reason could be more focussed development, a better test program in the winter, better test drivers etc etc, the fact is that mclarens are quick and competitive.

hamilton is the GP2 champion, with significant mclaren test miles this season, so his performance is melbourne is about par for the course. just leave it at that for now...

for whatever reason, mclaren are a lot more competitive this year, the reason could be more focussed development, a better test program in the winter, better test drivers etc etc, the fact is that mclarens are quick and competitive.

hamilton is the GP2 champion, with significant mclaren test miles this season, so his performance is melbourne is about par for the course. just leave it at that for now...

Did you say your 'Hail-Hammys' yet?

GRRRR :angry::mf_tongue:

you hamiltonians are driving sane people into becoming bigotted hammy bashers! I am trying to resist that!

:P:)

Stopkidding!!