Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Queensland's F1 Bid

Just speaking about "Attendances:"

It was reported in the paper that the "Aussie V8 round in Bahrain" attracted something like 28,000 people last year ( this year the stands sure looked empty, to me anyway, seemed like more cars on the track then spectators:-)) but that the round in Symonds Plains, In Tassie, last year saw over 60,000 people attend?

Like I do have to ask:- "Why go all the way to Bahrain?"

Well, Tassie would put anywhere to shame, really.

Why yes, I am Tasmanian.

If Tasmania doesnt even have enough people to warrent a AFL team then its a safe bet they dont have enough people to warrent the Australian Grand Prix.

Wasn't saying that - just saying it's no surprise Tasmanians get more into V8 Supercars than the citizens of Bahrain.

A Tassie Grand Prix on the Targa circuit would be awesome, though.

Flemington Australian Grand Prix ?

Was there ever a race track there ?

With all the timing issues, and people wanting to put the race back, I can't understand why Western Australia has come up as a potential location.

2 hours behind, and say a 1 hour delayed race compared to the tradational timing.... Well, could suit the European TV rights and secure Australia's GP.

Flemington Australian Grand Prix ?

Was there ever a race track there ?

Not that i know of. It wouldnt be much of a track as Flemington is a horse racing facility though if it were to happy it wouldnt be the first time someone has built a race car track around/in a horse racing track.

Don't think this has been posted.

Source

Phillip Island would welcome F1 GP

By Jonathan NobleThursday, November 8th 2007, 16:19 GMT

Australian circuit Phillip Island has expressed its interest in hosting the country's Formula One Grand Prix in the future if the event is moved on from Albert Park.

The future of the Melbourne event has been subject to great speculation this week following reports that Australian GP chairman Ron Walker has discussed the prospect of switching the race from its current home to a new base at Flemington Racecourse.

Although government officials have played down talk that they are evaluating whether to move the Australian event, the future of the race is set to be discussed next year as moves are made to cut its financial losses.

And now Andrew Fox, managing director of the Linfox Property Group that owns the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, has said he would be willing to upgrade his track to F1 standard in a bid to hold the race.

"We'd have a lot of work that would be required to make it an F1 standard, but I can guarantee we'd do it," Fox told the Herald Sun newspaper. "It is one of the best racetracks in Australia."

Phillip Island already holds MotoGP and World Superbike events, and Fox has said that he would need a 10-year F1 contract to justify the costs of an upgrade.

The Fox family is planning to build a 166-room, five-star hotel at the circuit and up to 500 residential villas alongside a Greg Norman-designed golf course.

If approval was given next year, the track could be ready for an F1 race in 2011, the year after the current contract with Albert Park expires.

Fox added that all it would take for talks to start was for Walker to contact him.

"The phone is on and the door is always open," he said.

I wouldn't mind that too much, not a bad track at all, better for the bikes though. I wonder how much it needs upgrading?

Don't think this has been posted.

<a href="http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63860" target="_blank">Source

</a>

I wouldn't mind that too much, not a bad track at all, better for the bikes though. I wonder how much it needs upgrading?

The problem with Phillip Island is that it doesnt really have any real overtaking opportunities and the only type of coner it really has is a sweeping left hander. For Formula 1 they would probably have to turn turns 1, 6 and 10 into proper hairpins where overtaking can take place.

phillipi.jpg

I don't like the idea of Phillip Island getting the GP. It's too sweeping, it's great for bikes but not for cars. The track has two overtaking points IMO going into turn 4 and over lukey heights (Turn 10). Another problem is Phillip Island is in the middle of nowhere and is bloody freezing most of the year.

I don't like the idea of Phillip Island getting the GP. It's too sweeping, it's great for bikes but not for cars. The track has two overtaking points IMO going into turn 4 and over lukey heights (Turn 10). Another problem is Phillip Island is in the middle of nowhere and is bloody freezing most of the year.

Phillip Island could be a good F1 track if they make the modifications i mentioned (turn turns 1, 6 and 10 into proper hairpins where overtaking can take place). The track could also use a chicane but im not exactly certain where they could put it. The good thing about where Phillip Island is is that it makes the track easily modifiable.

Phillip Island could be a good F1 track if they make the modifications i mentioned (turn turns 1, 6 and 10 into proper hairpins where overtaking can take place). The track could also use a chicane but im not exactly certain where they could put it. The good thing about where Phillip Island is is that it makes the track easily modifiable.

But would Bernie give the track a 10 year contract that would be needed for the track owners to spend the money and make the relevant upgrades to the pit complex, the tracks safety and modify the track to make it more overtaking friendly. I think not somehow.

I think I will be travelling to Singapore to see a GP in the future.

But would Bernie give the track a 10 year contract that would be needed for the track owners to spend the money and make the relevant upgrades to the pit complex, the tracks safety and modify the track to make it more overtaking friendly. I think not somehow.

I think I will be travelling to Singapore to see a GP in the future.

Come to India instead....

I welcome the thought of Phillip Island and have been hanging on to hear their interest. This is great news. Already a world renowned circuit and willing owners, I love it and have always adhered to the thought of Phillip Island hosting Formula One. As it stands in its current shape, it needs some work, both track and facility. Adapting the track to better suit could be easily accomplished. Very nice!

:clap3::clap3: :clap3:

Take it to the Island.

a certain Mr Fox has offered this Idea to Bernie and is willng to fund it!!

So all I can say is a BIG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The problem with Phillip Island is that it doesnt really have any real overtaking opportunities and the only type of coner it really has is a sweeping left hander. For Formula 1 they would probably have to turn turns 1, 6 and 10 into proper hairpins where overtaking can take place.

I think with the modifications you suggest it wouldn't be so bad.

It beats me why they want to use a street circuit in Australia.

A work colleage of mine a while ago, when Adelaide was the circuit, always took time off work to go to Adelaide for his holidays to help setup the circuit. He made over $10,000 in the 4 weeks around the GP race in WAGES. And he was one of a very very many!

Is it any wonder why Melbourne are struggling? We need a PERMANENT circuit and we have them, just need some modifications.